SS4
Established Member
I suspect the railway has bought futures in fuel anyway so this won't affect them until some time in the future if at all
This tax doesn't apply to fuel for trains, so there is no significant effect on the railway. There will be a small saving as railway road vehicles won't have to pay the increase, but a small extra cost to the railway if the extra demand for fuel forces up prices (but this is likely to be imperceptible compared with the normal price fluctuation).
The issue here (I don't seem to be making my point very well) is that it has been stated that the stagnant level of motor traffic, the last few years, has been due to the substantial increase in motoring fuel costs. Thus one would expect that if those costs, relative to the cost of rail travel, were to be more favourable, one would expect a reverse modal shift from rail to car.
I am wondering if two factors, the abandonment of pretence to green transport policy, and the present overcrowding on rail, may have led to the freeze on fuel duty increases.
imo - no. I rather think its more to do with disposable income, which has been declining for the last few years. Also taking out some of the green levies from fuel bills does the same. I can t see government wanting to suddenly encourage modal shift when you consider how much grant it gives the industry....would make a mockery of the HS2 investment as well which is controversial
The issue here (I don't seem to be making my point very well) is that it has been stated that the stagnant level of motor traffic, the last few years, has been due to the substantial increase in motoring fuel costs. Thus one would expect that if those costs, relative to the cost of rail travel, were to be more favourable, one would expect a reverse modal shift from rail to car.
I am wondering if two factors, the abandonment of pretence to green transport policy, and the present overcrowding on rail, may have led to the freeze on fuel duty increases.
I've lost count of how many times fuel duty rises have been cancelled. The "fuel duty escalator" hasn't existed for several years now but it probably suits the Chancellor to pretend it does, so he can get some kudos every year from announcing the cancellation of the increase. But none of this seems to have had any effect on road traffic levels.
I understand your argument but I don't agree with it. For one thing the increase in rail fares has also been reduced, which if anything means more people on trains rather than fewer. I see both as a pure political giveaway rather than reflecting any deeper strategy.
As our population increases, we'll still need to expand road building. Fuel costs might make motoring more expensive, but you can counter some of that by purchasing a much more fuel efficient car - so I am not sure that people will ever give up their car, they might just have to accept not being able to buy something with a huge engine.
So we'll probably still have more and more people fighting to use the roads in the coming years, and we all know that they won't all be able to use trains as they too are already too busy in the peaks in some areas.
At the very least, we shouldn't be allowing loads of new houses (and especially flats) to be built in areas where the roads are already struggling, as well as other issues such a utilities, water drainage etc.
We're packing people in tightly and nothing will cope - and that includes the people living there.
At the very least, we shouldn't be allowing loads of new houses (and especially flats) to be built in areas where the roads are already struggling, as well as other issues such a utilities, water drainage etc.
We're packing people in tightly and nothing will cope - and that includes the people living there.
All the development in manchester that I see is on brownfield land.....
That's fine as long as the infrastructure around it is upgraded too.
I have to say, given the cuts are still going on, a marriage tax allowance (given couples already enjoy certain economies of scale) and free school meals for families that can pay for them, seem like a lousy way to squander taxpayers money.
At least the train fares are only going up by rpi.
Giving all children school meals does however remove the need for the particular bureaucracy used to determine who gets them.