• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FSR club 55 query

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcd

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2011
Messages
539
Location
Romsey
We are travelling from Inverness to Edinburgh on Thursday 28th November and have a question

Does stopping early count as a break of journey . I am going to Edinburgh but my partner wants to get off at Haymarket is that Ok as break of journey is not allowed
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jadmor

Member
Joined
26 Nov 2013
Messages
156
Im not an expert in these matters, but I would think thatHaymarket and Waverley are normally acceptable destinations for an Edinburgh ticket.
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
It's my understanding (with some experience) that long distance travellers are not prevented from using Waverley and Haymarket stations interchangeably on an Edinburgh ticket.

I realise that this isn't an official policy and perhaps shouldn't be relied on, but when the alternative is to apologise saying "okay, I'll just go back to the platform, onto the next train, jump off at the other end and walk back along Princes Street in this rain / wind / sleet / snow", I'd expect the reply to be "Dinnae be daft. On you go."
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,830
Location
Stirlingshire
It's my understanding (with some experience) that long distance travellers are not prevented from using Waverley and Haymarket stations interchangeably on an Edinburgh ticket.

I realise that this isn't an official policy and perhaps shouldn't be relied on, but when the alternative is to apologise saying "okay, I'll just go back to the platform, onto the next train, jump off at the other end and walk back along Princes Street in this rain / wind / sleet / snow", I'd expect the reply to be "Dinnae be daft. On you go."

I've had no problem on "short journeys" either so you should be ok:p
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
Does stopping early count as a break of journey.

This has been debated before but with no consensus. Some people believe it does. Some people believe it does not.

However, with regards to Haymarket and Waverley my experince is the same as that of the previous posters. I would be amazed if your partner encountered any problem.
 

dcd

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2011
Messages
539
Location
Romsey
Seeing as the first reply was negative and not wanting to break the rules. I have got my partner an Inverness to Haymarket return ticket and spent the£1.30 on and Edinburgh to Haymarket single for the return. Thanks anyway.
 

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,581
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
Seeing as the first reply was negative and not wanting to break the rules. I have got my partner an Inverness to Haymarket return ticket and spent the£1.30 on and Edinburgh to Haymarket single for the return. Thanks anyway.

As a guard who works through Haymarket on a daily basis I can tell you that you will have no problems alighting at Haymarket with an Edinburgh ticket (or vice versa). If you have not already purchased the EDB - HYM single then don't bother. I know most of the lads on the barrier there and you will have no bother ~ or indeed nae bother!

I will try to see if I can find anything in writing that will confirm the above - but that said I have known tickets for EDB & HYM to be interchangeable for at least the past 20 years.
 

Liam

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2010
Messages
1,245
The barriers at Haymarket 'swallow' tickets with Edinburgh as a destination, when they really should give you it back. After all, you could be breaking your journey at Haymarket, then continuing later on to Waverley.
 

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,581
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
The barriers at Haymarket [HYM] 'swallow' tickets with Edinburgh [EDB] as a destination, when they really should give you it back. After all, you could be breaking your journey at HYM, then continuing later on to Waverley.

Very true! You could, conversely, however be travelling from North Berwick [NBW] on the return portion of a EDB - NBW ticket.
 

dcd

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2011
Messages
539
Location
Romsey
We are travelling from Inverness to Edinburgh on Thursday 28th November and have a question

Does stopping early count as a break of journey . I am going to Edinburgh but my partner wants to get off at Haymarket is that Ok as break of journey is not allowed

Now not going to get there. Came up on sleeper to Inverness but it was running late so would not have made the train to Edinburgh which was in fact cancelled as was the following one so we would not have been able to get back to Inverness for the return sleeper. But the guard on the sleeper said to get off at Kingussie and catch the East Coast service to Edinburgh which was running. He said they would accept our scotrail only club 55 tickets as there was a problem. We asked the guard on the East Coast train before boarding to check and he said he had not been told and so we could not get on. We are currently at Kingussie with no known services anywhere and buses delayed by an eight car pile up on A9 . Best laid plans go nowhere.
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
Oh dear. This really deserved a thread of its own 'Stranded at Kingussie'. :(

Presumably you have now managed to get moving somewhere ?
 
Last edited:

dcd

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2011
Messages
539
Location
Romsey
Left Kingussie by bus to Perth at 10:30 ish arrived Perth at 12:12. Grabbed some lunch as no trains to Edinburgh that would give is more than 3 minutes in Edinburgh before the train we had to get back at 14:25 to get the sleeper from Inverness to London. Caught the 13:13 1H51 to Inverness. This was held at Pitlochry for 30 mins waiting for a driver. It was then cancelled but restarted at 1Z51 with new timings so it arrived on Inverness 3 early instead of 28 late. We also hit a sheep at Drumochter which sounded like something metallic had fallen off the unit. Sleeper south is now delayed waiting for Aberdeen train. So not a good day for my mileage nor for spotting in Edinburgh.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top