• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Friday's (24/5) London airport disruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Friday was rather interesting for anyone flying into or out of London airports- first Heathrow being disrupted thanks to a BA maintenance worker not doing the clips up correctly (has anyone found the bits of cowling yet? Should be in fields near Uxbridge), then Stansted was shut down whilst the Pakistan International Airlines flight to Manchester was escorted to landed there to deal with the two idiots that were foiled by the locked door all airliners now have.

What I didn't understand was why the second of these incidents also appeared to shut Luton for a couple of hours- nothing took off or landed, with several cancellations. Anyone anble to shed light on this?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VTPreston_Tez

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2012
Messages
1,159
Location
Preston
My friend reported having to 'hike' to London Luton to get her flight to France, it was originally scheduled to leave Manchester yesterday but it leaves today from Luton now. I don't know if it's gone.
I do wonder what the cause is though...
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
Nothing was airborne over London for a few hours. Standard procedure apparently when something is diverted to Stansted with priority.
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Were Gatwick, City and Southend shut too? I have to say I forgot to check...
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
Gatwick was affected, don't know if it was fully closed.
 

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
I heard something about a bird strike at Heathrow?

I'd say more someone in BA maintenance not managing to lock the engine inspection covers properly (The covers on the IAE powered A32x are notoriously difficult to latch properly, there have been a few cases of them opening in flight before)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top