• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Frequency of TOC recruitment and separate question about TFL pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Depot

Member
Joined
14 Jun 2017
Messages
88
Hi all,

I unfortunately failed at the first hurdle with my crossrail application and struggled with the final part of the VSE (although I don't feel I did terrible). I am really looking forward to giving this another try and trying to be positive and use the 6 month rule as 6 months to prepare. My question is for you experienced guys out there, if this can be answered, how often do TOC recruit a year on average? Would you say it's 2 calls a year per TOC or is it simply as and when required?

My second question is regarding TFL. I come from an office based role and understand that many recommend joining TFL to have access to their internal job alerts. I do have a genuine interest in this industry and have noticed similar roles in my area crop up for TFL. My question is - would I have access to the tube driver roles if I work in an office based position? My only thought is would TFL not be keen if say someone joined as an accountant but then looked for trainee tube driver roles? Or would you be better advised to apply for a customer service based role?

Appreciate the advice.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bromley boy

Established Member
Joined
18 Jun 2015
Messages
4,609
Hi all,

I unfortunately failed at the first hurdle with my crossrail application and struggled with the final part of the VSE (although I don't feel I did terrible). I am really looking forward to giving this another try and trying to be positive and use the 6 month rule as 6 months to prepare. My question is for you experienced guys out there, if this can be answered, how often do TOC recruit a year on average? Would you say it's 2 calls a year per TOC or is it simply as and when required?

My second question is regarding TFL. I come from an office based role and understand that many recommend joining TFL to have access to their internal job alerts. I do have a genuine interest in this industry and have noticed similar roles in my area crop up for TFL. My question is - would I have access to the tube driver roles if I work in an office based position? My only thought is would TFL not be keen if say someone joined as an accountant but then looked for trainee tube driver roles? Or would you be better advised to apply for a customer service based role?

Appreciate the advice.

I'm afraid it's a case of "how long is a piece of string?"

TOCs recruit drivers as and when required. This can lead to "feast or famine" cycles of recruitment. My TOC has been recruiting like mad for the last few years, but this followed a lengthy period of zero external recruitment.

I'm no expert on LU but I've been reliably informed that TFL open up driver roles to all internal staff. However this seems a rather circuitous route to becoming a train driver (and being a tube driver is a different kettle of fish, and far less transferable than being a NR mainline train driver). If you're reasonably happy in your current office-based role I'd recommend biding your time and applying for future trainee driver roles as and when they come up.

EDIT TO ADD: you're no doubt aware of the "two strikes and your out" recruitment policy. I'd urge you to get as much feedback as you can from Crossrail to understand what went wrong and feed this into preparing for your next attempt.
 
Last edited:

slidingdoors

Member
Joined
15 Apr 2017
Messages
145
I don't believe the online VSE test counts towards the two strikes rule. As its an additional layer to the standard tests and done at home.
 

Johnny Depot

Member
Joined
14 Jun 2017
Messages
88
I'm afraid it's a case of "how long is a piece of string?"

TOCs recruit drivers as and when required. This can lead to "feast or famine" cycles of recruitment. My TOC has been recruiting like mad for the last few years, but this followed a lengthy period of zero external recruitment.

I'm no expert on LU but I've been reliably informed that TFL open up driver roles to all internal staff. However this seems a rather circuitous route to becoming a train driver (and being a tube driver is a different kettle of fish, and far less transferable than being a NR mainline train driver). If you're reasonably happy in your current office-based role I'd recommend biding your time and applying for future trainee driver roles as and when they come up.

EDIT TO ADD: you're no doubt aware of the "two strikes and your out" recruitment policy. I'd urge you to get as much feedback as you can from Crossrail to understand what went wrong and feed this into preparing for your next attempt.

Thanks for the reply and the advice. I am aware of the two strikes rule so want to make sure I give it my very best effort next time. I wouldn't say I underestimated the initial test but was too eager to get the process going. Crossrail can only say what you failed on and not specificy which exact area.

Hopefully the 6 months will put me in a better place mentally next time. Thanks again
 

Bromley boy

Established Member
Joined
18 Jun 2015
Messages
4,609
Thanks for the reply and the advice. I am aware of the two strikes rule so want to make sure I give it my very best effort next time. I wouldn't say I underestimated the initial test but was too eager to get the process going. Crossrail can only say what you failed on and not specificy which exact area.

Hopefully the 6 months will put me in a better place mentally next time. Thanks again

No worries.

As per the other reply from slidingdoors, if the VSE doesn't count (i.e. If it's a Crossrail specific test) then obviously your two lives are still intact which is clearly good news.

All the best with future applications.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top