Solent&Wessex
Established Member
- Joined
- 9 Jul 2009
- Messages
- 2,749
I always ask for all railcards (the most surprised to be asked are DSB and NSE railcards), will usually charge up unless there are some really good explanations.
The number of DSB who say they are never asked are quite large.
The odds of ending up in court for not having a railcard or a ticket when asked )or an adult on a child ticket) is about the same as being hit by lightening whilst clutching a winning lottery ticket.
Strange this topic came up and I posted earlier. I think it is SNR that are most unlikely to have their card out, seem most surprised to be asked to show it, and often get angry / agitated when asked.
In fact I have recent experience. Today in fact! I came across an elderly couple with SNR discounted tickets, but with no SNR railcards. I advised they would need to pay an extra fare but they immediately came extremely agitated and at one point the male was shouting loudly at me and saying things like "can't you see how old I am" "I obviously had one to buy the tickets" etc. He then told me I was a jobsworth and would be reported as I should show discretion and compassion to older people. They had apparently had their tickets checked 3 times on their outward journey, and so far in this return journey had had their ticket checked once. They claimed that not once had anyone asked to see their railcard, and as such it was me who was in the wrong and I should let them off like everyone else had done. They refused to pay an extra fare and as I couldn't issue a UPFN due to the journey they were doing I will be reporting the matter. It's not always your stereotypical troublesome passenger who gives you grief!