• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner - Trainee Train Driver - London Gateway (22/04/25)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brick79

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2024
Messages
40
Location
Essex
Oh dear I take it you heard back with some bad news? I've not had any word yet, not counting my chickens.

I think that means you can attempt the tests again in 6 months? Plenty of time to review and practice. Don't throw in the towel just yet!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Just had the invite through for an assessment day. This is whats on the agenda:
  • The Trainability for Rules and Procedures Test Part 1 and 2
  • The Group Bourdon Concentration Test
  • The Driver Fault Finding Test (DFFT)
  • The Test of Everyday Attention for Occupational Assessment (TEA-Occ)
  • The WAFV Vigilance Exercise
  • The ATAVT Perception Test
  • The 2-Hand Co-ordination Test
  • The Situational Judgement Exercise
  • The Multi-Modal Interview (MMI)
Have you done any tests before? And what date is it you are booked in for? As that's a lot for one day it's usually split in 2 and the advert spoke about certain dates for stage 1 and stage 2
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

unbutton

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2025
Messages
29
Location
London
Have you done any tests before? And what date is it you are booked in for? As that's a lot for one day it's usually split in 2 and the advert spoke about certain dates for stage 1 and stage 2
I failed an initial screening SJT with GWR earlier in 2025, I figured I had my priorities wrong and committed to doing some research and reading in this forum before applying for the next one. Its definitely paid off, I've made it past that and then some with this application. To clarify there are no cheats or answers, its more about understanding the mindset you require for the role.

According to my email its all on 03rd June, 09:00-17:00 at the latest. Its a full day but seems completely reasonable to fit that all in.
 

LTRV18181

Member
Joined
6 May 2025
Messages
9
Location
london
I failed an initial screening SJT with GWR earlier in 2025, I figured I had my priorities wrong and committed to doing some research and reading in this forum before applying for the next one. Its definitely paid off, I've made it past that and then some with this application. To clarify there are no cheats or answers, its more about understanding the mindset you require for the role.

According to my email its all on 03rd June, 09:00-17:00 at the latest. Its a full day but seems completely reasonable to fit that all in.
I haven’t heard back from OPC and it’s been over 2 weeks.

I think there will be part of me that has to accept I’m not successful but the feedback not being given isn’t nice
 

unbutton

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2025
Messages
29
Location
London
I haven’t heard back from OPC and it’s been over 2 weeks.

I think there will be part of me that has to accept I’m not successful but the feedback not being given isn’t nice
I'm far from an expert but from this thread, the OPC seem to be decent at communicating. Its been a week after I'd completed to hear I'd been successful, but its always in the email inviting me to the next stage. Also someone else previously at least heard they were unsuccessful.

Maybe naive, but I would take not hearing you've failed as a positive right now.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Edit: see this post https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...locations-04-04-23.246357/page-2#post-6201235 . Thread is generally useful too, the recruitment process seems similar.
 
Last edited:

Miky_G

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2022
Messages
33
Location
Gravesend
They’ve got training facilities at Ipswich so my hunch would say there.

But since all the trainees will be for Gateway they may do it closer to there to take away the need for lodging, evening meal etc.
I know the question about where the class room training being held this has been mentioned but does anyone know if anything has changed since that post?
 

Brick79

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2024
Messages
40
Location
Essex
I failed an initial screening SJT with GWR earlier in 2025, I figured I had my priorities wrong and committed to doing some research and reading in this forum before applying for the next one. Its definitely paid off, I've made it past that and then some with this application. To clarify there are no cheats or answers, its more about understanding the mindset you require for the role.

According to my email its all on 03rd June, 09:00-17:00 at the latest. Its a full day but seems completely reasonable to fit that all in.
To be honest I struggle to think you'd sit all tests as when I did my stage 1 (all the written tests) it took a good while (about 9-3), most TOCs split it over 2 (this application mentions 2 sets of dates as well) and it would feel like a lot for a single day. Might be worth emailing them and just asking, would save you practising/revising all the tests if not needed.
 

Brickz

Member
Joined
3 Aug 2024
Messages
92
Location
Kent
To be honest I struggle to think you'd sit all tests as when I did my stage 1 (all the written tests) it took a good while (about 9-3), most TOCs split it over 2 (this application mentions 2 sets of dates as well) and it would feel like a lot for a single day. Might be worth emailing them and just asking, would save you practising/revising all the tests if not needed.
The freightliner stage 1 we started at 9am and was done by 12ish. I'd guess the above person has been given a date for all in one day due to being a later applicatant so for freightliner to stay on their schedule doing it all on same day is required. I'd had preferred to just do it all on the same day.
 

Brick79

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2024
Messages
40
Location
Essex
The freightliner stage 1 we started at 9am and was done by 12ish. I'd guess the above person has been given a date for all in one day due to being a later applicatant so for freightliner to stay on their schedule doing it all on same day is required. I'd had preferred to just do it all on the same day.
Ah right I did my stage 1 with GA maybe they took a bit longer I remember thinking I'd rather do it in one day aswell but least it gives you time to go into the rest a bit fresher. Have you been given a stage 2 date with freighliner?
 

Brickz

Member
Joined
3 Aug 2024
Messages
92
Location
Kent
Ah right I did my stage 1 with GA maybe they took a bit longer I remember thinking I'd rather do it in one day aswell but least it gives you time to go into the rest a bit fresher. Have you been given a stage 2 date with freighliner?
No still waiting to find out how it went. They say on their timing for the stage 1 is 9am till 1pm so I guess it depends how many questions are asked and breaks are taken we had 1 break that was 10minutes long and was about 9 people there
 

Brickz

Member
Joined
3 Aug 2024
Messages
92
Location
Kent
Got the email last week saying I passed stage 1 and date booked for stage 2 mid July
 

unbutton

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2025
Messages
29
Location
London
Surprised that you're having to wait for the results of Stage 1 and 2. I had Stage 1, 2, and MMI on Tuesday and we found out as the day progressed if we'd passed or if we would go home at that point. The group was a bit mixed - only 1 other guy there doing 1/2/MMI like me, some others were there for Stage 2 only. Some were there for GTR assessments.

The only thing I'm waiting on is the result of the MMI. I guess, like their other assessments, I'll find out if I'm successful in the same email the DMI is proposed for. Else I'll get an unwelcome email before then.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Edit: just had word I've passed the MMI, now its Freightliner who will get in touch to arrange a DMI. No timeframe given on when that might be. How is everyone else getting along in the process?
 
Last edited:

Alandev

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2023
Messages
25
Location
London
Hi everyone,

I saw the email to apply for this job within the past two days - via LinkedIn. However when you click on the link, it only takes you to a one minute page of personal questions, hosted by Survey Monkey - and once you complete that, there are no questions whatsoever to answer as part of your application! This is the link:


Is it just me or did you all experience the same thing? Usually Trainee Train Driver Applications are quite in-depth, where many questions are asked!

Thank you
 

JDawson

New Member
Joined
31 May 2025
Messages
4
Location
Essex
I’ve spoken to Freightliner. They are happy for you to fill in the form late. Just answer no to the are you available for these dates that have already passed. Once done the Occupational Psychology Centre (OPC) send out the first round of questions.
 

PNutt

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2018
Messages
105
Location
London
Has it not closed?
Nope it is still open for people to apply.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hi everyone,

I saw the email to apply for this job within the past two days - via LinkedIn. However when you click on the link, it only takes you to a one minute page of personal questions, hosted by Survey Monkey - and once you complete that, there are no questions whatsoever to answer as part of your application! This is the link:


Is it just me or did you all experience the same thing? Usually Trainee Train Driver Applications are quite in-depth, where many questions are asked!

Thank you
This is the initial application which is still open. You’ll then be sent the next stages.
 

Alandev

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2023
Messages
25
Location
London
Nope it is still open for people to apply.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


This is the initial application which is still open. You’ll then be sent the next stages.
Thank you.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I’ve spoken to Freightliner. They are happy for you to fill in the form late. Just answer no to the are you available for these dates that have already passed. Once done the Occupational Psychology Centre (OPC) send out the first round of questions.
Thank you too. Even though they have passed, I said yes to the dates - just in case any "no" answers would be looked at as an automatic "this candidate cannot move forward in the process" by the survey!

Now I'm hoping that won't be a problem!
 

unbutton

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2025
Messages
29
Location
London
Hi everyone,

I saw the email to apply for this job within the past two days - via LinkedIn. However when you click on the link, it only takes you to a one minute page of personal questions, hosted by Survey Monkey - and once you complete that, there are no questions whatsoever to answer as part of your application! This is the link:


Is it just me or did you all experience the same thing? Usually Trainee Train Driver Applications are quite in-depth, where many questions are asked!

Thank you
You're right, normally its a lengthy process and you get shelved for 6 months. This process is way more sane - filtering criteria up front (actual tests with metrics), and then HR can focus on the applicants that pass it.
 

Alandev

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2023
Messages
25
Location
London
You're right, normally its a lengthy process and you get shelved for 6 months. This process is way more sane - filtering criteria up front (actual tests with metrics), and then HR can focus on the applicants that pass it.
Thanks for the info.
 

swrfanatic

On Moderation
Joined
9 Dec 2024
Messages
34
Location
London
Hi guys,

Got an assessment for the above company and I'm wondering what the best way to practice this is. What are the Terms in that depot too?
 

unbutton

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2025
Messages
29
Location
London
Hi guys,

Got an assessment for the above company and I'm wondering what the best way to practice this is. What are the Terms in that depot too?
You haven't said which but if its one of the OPC assessments, they give you the practice material up front that is quite helpful. You can also search the titles of the assessments on this forum for more info. Having recently done them, best advice is to not overthink it. Make sure you comprehend exactly what the requested task is, and having an understanding of the practice tests will give you good grounding for the real thing.

This is anecdotal, but practicing to "get a better score" in the scope of days or a couple weeks won't work. This is the kind of fundamental testing that attempts to measure speed, accuracy, reasoning, attention, context switching, and spatial awareness which are formed over years. Best thing you can do in the near term is use the provided practice, and be well rested and relaxed.
 

king_walnut

On Moderation
Joined
16 Oct 2013
Messages
292
You haven't said which but if its one of the OPC assessments, they give you the practice material up front that is quite helpful. You can also search the titles of the assessments on this forum for more info. Having recently done them, best advice is to not overthink it. Make sure you comprehend exactly what the requested task is, and having an understanding of the practice tests will give you good grounding for the real thing.

This is anecdotal, but practicing to "get a better score" in the scope of days or a couple weeks won't work. This is the kind of fundamental testing that attempts to measure speed, accuracy, reasoning, attention, context switching, and spatial awareness which are formed over years. Best thing you can do in the near term is use the provided practice, and be well rested and relaxed.

You're very helpful.
 

BulliedPacific

New Member
Joined
15 Jun 2025
Messages
1
Location
Tonbridge
Nope it is still open for people to apply.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


This is the initial application which is still open. You’ll then be sent the next stages.
Hi, I've been invited to complete some initial psychometric tests by the OPC on behalf of Freightliner and the completion deadline is 17/6/2025. Do you know if Freightliner are still recruiting ? It's just that I don't want to unnecessarily extinguish one of my psychometric assessment attempts (I understand we only get two opportunities at it) if the job vacancy no longer exists. The trainee Freight train driver role isn't actually advertised on Freightliner's website and I would like to be sure before undergoing the psychometric testing.
TIA
 

Unobrow

Member
Joined
19 Nov 2024
Messages
243
Location
Manchester
Hi, I've been invited to complete some initial psychometric tests by the OPC on behalf of Freightliner and the completion deadline is 17/6/2025. Do you know if Freightliner are still recruiting ? It's just that I don't want to unnecessarily extinguish one of my psychometric assessment attempts (I understand we only get two opportunities at it) if the job vacancy no longer exists. The trainee Freight train driver role isn't actually advertised on Freightliner's website and I would like to be sure before undergoing the psychometric testing.
TIA
I doubt FL would be paying to put you through testing if there were no vacancies. You’d have to assume that they’ve closed the job advert due to having enough applicants now that they want to take forward.
 

Pintman

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2023
Messages
191
Location
The Pub
Hi, I've been invited to complete some initial psychometric tests by the OPC on behalf of Freightliner and the completion deadline is 17/6/2025. Do you know if Freightliner are still recruiting ? It's just that I don't want to unnecessarily extinguish one of my psychometric assessment attempts (I understand we only get two opportunities at it) if the job vacancy no longer exists. The trainee Freight train driver role isn't actually advertised on Freightliner's website and I would like to be sure before undergoing the psychometric testing.
TIA
You'll only extinguish an attempt if you're unsuccessful, and if the tests you sit are also used by other companies then more often than not you can carry them over to a different application
 

PNutt

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2018
Messages
105
Location
London
Hi, I've been invited to complete some initial psychometric tests by the OPC on behalf of Freightliner and the completion deadline is 17/6/2025. Do you know if Freightliner are still recruiting ? It's just that I don't want to unnecessarily extinguish one of my psychometric assessment attempts (I understand we only get two opportunities at it) if the job vacancy no longer exists. The trainee Freight train driver role isn't actually advertised on Freightliner's website and I would like to be sure before undergoing the psychometric testing.
TIA
The application was never listed on the website, it was always through the link attached above.

As far as I’m aware they’re still looking for applicants to put through testing, and they wouldn’t have asked you to complete tests if that wasn’t the case.
 
Last edited:

Carrot12345

Member
Joined
17 Jun 2025
Messages
46
Location
kent
Hi, I've been invited to complete some initial psychometric tests by the OPC on behalf of Freightliner and the completion deadline is 17/6/2025. Do you know if Freightliner are still recruiting ? It's just that I don't want to unnecessarily extinguish one of my psychometric assessment attempts (I understand we only get two opportunities at it) if the job vacancy no longer exists. The trainee Freight train driver role isn't actually advertised on Freightliner's website and I would like to be sure before undergoing the psychometric testing.
TIA
I must of got them the same time as you. Submitted mine yesterday. Waiting game now. From reading above seems like a lot more to go haha
 

jv11

New Member
Joined
19 May 2025
Messages
1
Location
south east london
Surprised that you're having to wait for the results of Stage 1 and 2. I had Stage 1, 2, and MMI on Tuesday and we found out as the day progressed if we'd passed or if we would go home at that point. The group was a bit mixed - only 1 other guy there doing 1/2/MMI like me, some others were there for Stage 2 only. Some were there for GTR assessments.

The only thing I'm waiting on is the result of the MMI. I guess, like their other assessments, I'll find out if I'm successful in the same email the DMI is proposed for. Else I'll get an unwelcome email before then.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Edit: just had word I've passed the MMI, now its Freightliner who will get in touch to arrange a DMI. No timeframe given on when that might be. How is everyone else getting along in the process?
Hi, I see you had to do stage 1,2 and mmi all on one day. I have the same coming up. Just wondering if you had to do all the tests they listed in the email you receive with the invite or if they chose a few of them? Thanks
 

unbutton

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2025
Messages
29
Location
London
Hi, I see you had to do stage 1,2 and mmi all on one day. I have the same coming up. Just wondering if you had to do all the tests they listed in the email you receive with the invite or if they chose a few of them? Thanks
You're expected to do, and pass, all of the test detailed in the email. If you fail any, you'll be dismissed and won't have to stick around the whole day.
 

Carrot12345

Member
Joined
17 Jun 2025
Messages
46
Location
kent
Hi, I've been invited to complete some initial psychometric tests by the OPC on behalf of Freightliner and the completion deadline is 17/6/2025. Do you know if Freightliner are still recruiting ? It's just that I don't want to unnecessarily extinguish one of my psychometric assessment attempts (I understand we only get two opportunities at it) if the job vacancy no longer exists. The trainee Freight train driver role isn't actually advertised on Freightliner's website and I would like to be sure before undergoing the psychometric testing.
TIA
Did you submit the tests? If so have you heard back yet? Cheers
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top