• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner - Trainee Drivers / Shunt Drivers - Recruitment Discussion

marcy

Member
Joined
12 Mar 2024
Messages
77
Location
glasgow
Didn’t make it unfortunately, didn’t pass the MMI, I am slightly disadvantaged being 18 as I don’t have as many examples for the experiences they ask about during the interview. A bit of a shame as the FL team is really nice and I had passed my DMI.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Does anyone know if that means next time I go for psychometrics I have to do the lot? Or just the MMI.
Sorry to hear about your mmi. I failed the MMI for Scotrail two years ago and still not over it. Thought I did enough for a pass but no.
It’s particularly cruel after passing all the other stages, for it to come down to some guy from recruitment to have the final say and fail you.
Good luck for next time
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

heavyhaul

New Member
Joined
3 Aug 2026
Messages
4
Location
somerset
Hey. How did you get on?
I failed. Absolutely gutted is an understatement!! Any hints or tips you could message me about the tests what you did?
I surprisingly thought I did “ok” and actually enjoyed the visual search!
Good luck on your journey
 

BA11Eagle

Member
Joined
22 Mar 2023
Messages
40
Location
Wiltshire
Hi all,

I’m currently preparing for the DFFT in two weeks for the HHR position in the Mendip area.

I just wanted to ask what people were doing in preparation? I’ve done the prep that was provided to us by OPC but searching for more!

I’m currently in the talent pool for GWR (got in last October) and feel like I had more preparation for their psycho’s last year.

If anyone is going on the 15th then I look forward to seeing you there!
 

vc99

Member
Joined
17 May 2025
Messages
90
Location
warminster
Hi all,

I’m currently preparing for the DFFT in two weeks for the HHR position in the Mendip area.

I just wanted to ask what people were doing in preparation? I’ve done the prep that was provided to us by OPC but searching for more!

I’m currently in the talent pool for GWR (got in last October) and feel like I had more preparation for their psycho’s last year.

If anyone is going on the 15th then I look forward to seeing you there!
I just messaged u lol
 

Spider1806

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2024
Messages
237
Location
Kettering
Can anyone shed any light on heavy haul in other areas?

General pay?
Hours?
Lots of t3s?
Lots of weekends?

Why do people move on or over to intermodal? Are terms better on intermodal?
 

PNutt

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2018
Messages
105
Location
London
Can anyone shed any light on heavy haul in other areas?

General pay?
Hours?
Lots of t3s?
Lots of weekends?

Why do people move on or over to intermodal? Are terms better on intermodal?
They’re separate companies now so I don’t think it’s as easy to move between HH and IM as it once was.

The pay would still be higher at Heavy Haul Rail than Freightliner but the T&Cs are a lot better at the latter.

At IM you have a rostered 13 week roster, so you know exactly what times you are working for that 13 week cycle. If they want to change your job they’ve got to pay you to change (3 hours for a longer job, 2 hours for a shorter job plus a phone call booked at an hour). You must start and finish at your depot, you don’t drive any vans or company vehicles, so it’s passenger trains or taxis. You hardly work any weekends (3 in 13 Saturdays and 0 Sundays where I was at). You only work class 4 container trains, so no T3 work. The intermodal work is more secure so there’s less chance of redundancies and the IM pension pot was in a pretty healthy position.

I never worked for HH and not sure what it’s like now since its become Heavy Haul Rail. But I know they work time bands, so personal life is much harder to plan, you’ll lodge more, do T3s, the work and contracts are volatile and can be easily lost. Driving vans etc. I know some drivers who loved HH because they liked sitting on a T3 site for 12 hours and staying away from home all week. It’s obviously personal preference.

But generally Freightliner (Intermodal) is seen as the best FOC to work for because of the T&Cs. We had loads of drivers come from DB, GBRf and even TOCs and they couldn’t believe how much better it was.
 
Last edited:

Unobrow

Member
Joined
19 Nov 2024
Messages
242
Location
Manchester
They’re separate companies now so I don’t think it’s as easy to move between HH and IM as it once was.

The pay would still be higher at Heavy Haul Rail than Freightliner but the T&Cs are a lot better at the latter.

At IM you have a rostered 13 week roster, so you know exactly what times you are working for that 13 week cycle. If they want to change your job they’ve got to pay you to change (3 hours for a longer job, 2 hours for a shorter job plus a phone call booked at an hour). You must start and finish at your depot, you don’t drive any vans or company vehicles, so it’s passenger trains or taxis. You hardly work any weekends (3 in 13 Saturdays and 0 Sundays where I was at). You only work class 4 container trains, so no T3 work. The intermodal work is more secure so there’s less chance of redundancies and the IM pension pot was in a pretty healthy position.

I never worked for HH and not sure what it’s like now since its become Heavy Haul Rail. But I know they work time bands, so personal life is much harder to plan, you’ll lodge more, do T3s, the work and contracts are volatile and can be easily lost. Driving vans etc. I know some drivers who loved HH because they liked sitting on a T3 site for 12 hours and staying away from home all week. It’s obviously personal preference.

But generally Freightliner (Intermodal) is seen as the best FOC to work for because of the T&Cs. We had loads of drivers come from DB, GBRf and even TOCs and they couldn’t believe how much better it was.
I think the lodging is work and depot dependant. I was never away all week on HH, only ever did a couple of lodging turns. Certainly more weekends so it depends on your home life as to if it suits or doesn’t bother you, but there’s plenty of rest day work so you can earn good money. As mentioned, plenty of drivers liked being sat on T3’s being paid to have a nap, watch a film or eat. IM will work more trains over HH, and the basic pay is around £5K less.
 

Spider1806

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2024
Messages
237
Location
Kettering
Ok I get you I am used to t3s thats when you lodge because of where they are but t3s aren’t every week I know

Also lodging depends on what you sign and you depot get that as well

Interesting to hear everyone’s thoughts

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I also heard that Freightliner IM are on rolling contracts

All freight is volatile so not sure on that
 

vc99

Member
Joined
17 May 2025
Messages
90
Location
warminster
Ok I get you I am used to t3s thats when you lodge because of where they are but t3s aren’t every week I know

Also lodging depends on what you sign and you depot get that as well

Interesting to hear everyone’s thoughts

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I also heard that Freightliner IM are on rolling contracts

All freight is volatile so not sure on that
Have you applied for the recent HH at Mendip?
 

Unobrow

Member
Joined
19 Nov 2024
Messages
242
Location
Manchester
Ok I get you I am used to t3s thats when you lodge because of where they are but t3s aren’t every week I know

Also lodging depends on what you sign and you depot get that as well

Interesting to hear everyone’s thoughts

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I also heard that Freightliner IM are on rolling contracts

All freight is volatile so not sure on that
No, you don’t necessarily lodge on T3’s, it just depends where the job is, which depot can or can’t cover it etc. like I said, I’ve only lodged twice in 4yrs, others more, some never. T3 work can be every night, again it depends on NR requirements. You can work a T3 even if you don’t sign the route, by doing a site brief. You just can’t drive on or off the job.

FLIM are not on rolling contracts. It’s probably now the most secure freight job thanks to the CMA CGM take over.
 

Spider1806

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2024
Messages
237
Location
Kettering
Thanks for the info

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

No, you don’t necessarily lodge on T3’s, it just depends where the job is, which depot can or can’t cover it etc. like I said, I’ve only lodged twice in 4yrs, others more, some never. T3 work can be every night, again it depends on NR requirements. You can work a T3 even if you don’t sign the route, by doing a site brief. You just can’t drive on or off the job.

FLIM are not on rolling contracts. It’s probably now the most secure freight job thanks to the CMA CGM take over.
Do you work for HH?
 
Last edited:

BHMGuard

Member
Joined
3 Nov 2025
Messages
37
Location
Birmingham
Hi All. Currently awaiting DMI at WMT for a trainee position after passing all tests at enhanced standard. Saw landor street was open so decided to apply. What’s the probability of going straight to DMI at FL with an enhanced pass? Is there any extra tests outside the standard ones like chiltern/avanti have? WMT recruitment at the moment seems a bit 50/50 as they don’t know what depots will be taking on next year, so don’t really want to be wasting time when I could be applying to other TOC’s/FOC’s. Cheers!
 
Last edited:

Top