• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freight yards in Torquay

Status
Not open for further replies.

1018509

Member
Joined
5 Jun 2011
Messages
329
Location
New Milton
About 55 years ago as a 7 year old child I visited an elderly aunt in Torquay.
Her house backed on to a busy goods depot with trucks being hump shunted and little tank engines whizzing about all over the place.

Alas aunt is no more, neither are parents, to ask whereabouts in Torquay this could have been.

With this scant information has anyone any idea where I may have been.

As a 7 year old wannabee train driver I thought it was heaven.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chappers

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2008
Messages
76
Torre Station perhaps? There were plenty of sidings on the Up side for the Coal Yard I think it was
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I have (somewhere) in my possession a book about the history of the Neton Abbott to Kingswear line. I am pretty sure that the only major freight facilities in Torquay were the coal yard in Torre and the gas works near Torquay station.

I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong!
 

1018509

Member
Joined
5 Jun 2011
Messages
329
Location
New Milton
Thanks for the replies. The mention of coal sidings leads me to believe it was rakes of coal wagons I saw being loose shunted. Is this likely or is my memory playing tricks?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top