• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freedom Of Wales Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.

jockeymaster

Member
Joined
18 May 2010
Messages
22
Location
Liverpool
I'll be getting one of these in July. It's the usual 4 in 8 days format for rail, but offers unlimited travel by bus "within the country" for the full 8 days.

I'll also be getting a Railpass from my home in Liverpool to Chester, which is the most northerly point of the rover, for the duration of the rover.

Ideally then I'd like to use the days where I'm only using the bus from Chester, but Chester isn't in Wales, although I believe certain areas of Chester are in Wales. I know I could get a cheap off peak return to Wrexham & marry that up with a bus from Wrexham on bus only days.

Has anyone had one of these & how picky are the bus drivers ?

Also any ideas for journeys in Wales appreciated.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
No part of Chester, the city is in Wales!

Here is a list of participating operators taken from the flexi pass website:
Cardiff Bus, Clarkes of Tredegar, Crossgates Coaches, EST Travel, First, Francis Drake Travel, Harris Coaches (Pengam), Henleys Bus Service, Hoggan’s European Coaches (Neath), Islwyn Borough Transport, Newport Transport, Richards Bros., Roy Brown’s Coaches, Silcox Coaches, Stagecoach in South Wales, Summerdale Coaches, Sixty-Sixty coaches, Morris Travel of Carmarthen and Veolia.

Also Arriva Cymru services between Aberystwyth & Aberaeron, Tregaron and Pontrhydfendigaid; and Traws Cambria service 701; Herefordshire Council service 416 Hereford - Monmouth (operated by Stagecoach West) and Sunday service 40 Hereford - Hay on Wye - Brecon (operated by Yeomans Canyon Travel) and Sargeant Brothers Coaches service 461 and 462 between Llandrindod Wells and Hereford. ’Beacons Bus’ special Summer Sunday services run by the Brecon Beacons National Park Authority.

Arriva Cymru, Berwyn Coaches, Bryn Melyn, Caelloi, Clynog & Trefor, Express Motors, GHA Coaches, John’s Coaches (Blaenau Ffestiniog), KMP (Llanberis), Llew Jones (Llanrwst), M&H Travel, Tanat Valley Coaches, Townlynx, Silver Star, Williams of Criccieth and all local authority supported bus services in Gwynedd and the Isle of Anglesey. Also Arriva Midland North services between Shrewsbury, Newtown & Llanidloes, Welshpool & Oswestry and Wrexham & Oswestry.


As you can see, it doesn;t specifically mention any routes from Chester, but soem routes from Hereford, Shrewsbury and Oswestry are included in the list, soe vidently some buses outside Wales are included.

If you intend to travel from Chester into Wales by bus and the bus operator is mentioned, you could try it, but I don't think general bus travel in and around Chester or Cheshire is included.
 

Polarbear

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2008
Messages
1,926
Location
Birkenhead
I've used Freedom of Wales & North & Mid wales flexi rovers on buses from Chester. It's a good way of leaping the early morning bar on the trains & can get you an extra day or two if you're prepared to stick with the buses.

As Greenback says, it's valid on Arriva Cymru so you should have no problem, (other than a grunt & possibly a "what's that?" from the driver) on the following buses from Chester;

1 Chester - Wrexham
3, 4, X44, X55 Chester - Mold
10 Chester = Connah's Quay (direct)
X11 Chester - Holywell - Rhyl
12 Chester -Connah's Quay (via Sandycroft)

I know the Arriva drivers on the Welsh side around Chester don't see many rover tickets other than Arriva's own range of weekly & monthly passes so you may encounter some blank looks & be quizzed about the ticket.

I suggest you take a leaflet with you. If asked to pay, I would do so, but I would take it up with Arriva afterwards & tell the driver you are doing so.

GHA & Townlynx are the only other operators on that list that come into Chester. D Jones also creeps in on the C56 from Wrexham but I know the FOW has never been valid on that route, (via Farndon).

Unfortunately, the list of bus operators shown on the publicity for the FOW pass is woefully out of date. Arriva Midlands no longer operate the buses in mid Wales, (Welshpool, Newtown, Llanidloes) and haven't done for several years. KMP no longer exists, having been diced up between Arriva & Padarn & it's been many a year since the 701 operated as well.

Enjoy your rover!:D
 

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
1,432
Location
South Liverpool
Apparently half of Chester City's football ground is in Wales with the other half in England! :P

Proof!

Things you never knew that you never knew! :P
 

jockeymaster

Member
Joined
18 May 2010
Messages
22
Location
Liverpool
Thanks for the replies, very useful. Polarbear are you saying that the 09:15 bar doesn't apply to buses ?

Mind you I'm using a 1 week railpass to get from Liverpool to Chester so it's debatable whether I can get to Chester before 09:15 anyway. It's an hour trip, but I can use my Liverpool - Chester railpass at peak times.
 

ashworth

Established Member
Joined
10 Sep 2008
Messages
1,285
Location
Notts
Slightly off topic but it may be useful information for some people.

You can get a very good value 7 Day Weekly Saver Ticket from Arriva Buses covering the North West and Wales. This only costs £16 and is valid on all Arriva buses in the Northwest (includes large areas of South Lancashire, Merseyside, Greater Manchester and Cheshire plus large parts of North Wales especially along the coast.

It could be cheap way of getting into the Railrover Area each day.
 
Last edited:

Polarbear

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2008
Messages
1,926
Location
Birkenhead
From the Liverpool area, you could also opt for the Bidston - Wrexham line. The FOW is valid to Bidston (I think) and again, no time limits on that line, (though you would have to observe time limits off Shotton or Wrexham if using the train).

The Arriva weekly bus passes are indeed excellent value for money, (and there is a 28 day pass for £57.00; £51.30 if purchased on line). Unfortunately, the 401 Liverpool - Chester does take a while (1'15" as opposed to the 40 ish minutes of the train) and the last one back to Liverpool from Chester is at 19:01
 

jockeymaster

Member
Joined
18 May 2010
Messages
22
Location
Liverpool
Thanks for the money saving tips, but I'll stick to my Merseyrail Railpass scheme to Chester - the time saved is more precious than the money.

Another way to save would be to just get the North & Mid-Wales Rover saving £24. The FOW offers discounts ( but doesn't say how much ) on the likes of Bale Lake train which I'm planning on getting. Both cover the Ffestiniog line so that is not an issue.

Perhaps Polarbear who has had both sorts of tickets could advise. I'd be knocking out the likes of Cardiff if I don't get the full FOW though.
 

Polarbear

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2008
Messages
1,926
Location
Birkenhead
I think it's a 20% discount you get on most of the great little trains of Wales, which is well worth having!:D

In my experience, a Freedom of Wales is an excellent ticket, as are the other more compact versions. It depends what you want to do really as to what would work out best value. If you are happy to spend long hours on the trains, Cardiff & back in a day is a good day out, but you'll struggle to get to south west Wales & back in a day from up here. You may want to consider a 1 night stay somewhere in South Wales as you would be able to get a bit more done down there.

A North & Mid lets you explore in more detail & maybe pace yourself a little?

Hopefully that's of some use?
 

jockeymaster

Member
Joined
18 May 2010
Messages
22
Location
Liverpool
Much obliged Polarbear. Yes I realised that places like Camarthen were basically out of reach for a day tripper.

I mentioned a saving of £24 if I switched from the FOW to N&MW rover, but if I wanted to go on the Welsh Highland line from Caernarfon this is covered by the FOW but not the N&MW. It's £28 return if you go all the way.

So even though I might not go to South Wales it's stlll worthwhile getting the FOW if you want to go on that line. Plus a 20% discount on some of the other lines I might go on.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've decided to get the FOW as I want to use the Caernarfon line, plus a day trip to Cardiff.

Just looked here & it mentions Caernarfon to Pont Croesor, not Porthmadog - it highlights this as being open in 2011. I think I saw a post saying that the've done the Caernarfon - Porthmadog - Blaenau Ffestiniog loop.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
The track is laid but it can't open because of issues with the road crossing in Porthmadog. Trains will terminate at Pont Croesor in 2010 and will, hopefully, be allowed to run through in 2011.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top