• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freedom of Severn & Solent June 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC 72100

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Messages
3,852
Last year I did a trip report of my 3 days using this rover (http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=88043). Having just done 3 more days, here's a report of how it was...

Thursday 12th June

The plan for the day was as follows:

09:33 Gloucester -> Swindon 10:22 (09:18 CNM – SWI)
10:55 Swindon -> Bath 11:25 (10:00 PAD – PGN)
11:36 Bath -> Westbury 12:00 (10:30 CDF – PMH)
12:21 Westbury -> Tiverton Pwy 13:19 (11:06 PAD – PLY)
13:38 Tiverton Pwy -> Bristol TM 14:25 (12:25 PLY – GLC)
14:30 Bristol TM -> Swindon 15:10 (14:30 BRI – PAD)
15:41 Swindon -> Cardiff Cent. 16:47 (14:45 PAD – SWA)
17:16 Cardiff Cent. -> Newport (SW) 17:30 (17:16 CDF – HHD)
18:00 Newport (SW) -> Gloucester 18:44 (17:46 CDF – NOT)

After a half past 8 arrival into Gloucester on the bus, I purchase the tickets (complete with FGW ticket wallet!) and await the first train of the day, the shuttle up the Golden Valley to Swindon. Seeing the unit on it’s working to Cheltenham, I can be confident that I will have at least one required train for haulage today as it is hired-in unit 158882. Just like last year I have a table in standard and also just like last year this service arrives at Swindon almost full, picking up a fair few passengers at Stroud and Kemble.

I’m meant to have a very leisurely late at Swindon, over half an hour, but see that the train in front of the Paignton, the 09:30 Pad – Bristol TM is running slightly late. With just 2 FGW power cars required, I decide that this is worth doing as far as Chippenham. Motive power is provided in the form of 43056 and 43128 – both are low mileage ones, with less than 100 miles from each of them, and a pleasant table seat in the front coach makes it a worthwhile run.
After 20 minutes or so in the sun at Chippenham, my planned train to Paignton pulls in with 43053 and 43036. On this lightly loaded service (which I expected to be a little busy to be honest) it is a short run to Bath where it is more of a case of “Mind the chasm between the train and the platform” as opposed to the gap, before disappearing under the subway for the Portsmouth unit, which is the ex-TPE 3-car unit, 158798 (required). Not quite as rammed as expected, I actually have a table seat for the relatively fast run to Westbury, in contrast to what was to come the following day…

Westbury is a hive of activity with Colas 70s, and once again it is a wait in the sun before the Penzance HST arrives, running about 15 minutes late, with 43124 and 43087. Neither are required, but I last had 124 in 2011 so it’s one of the better ones to turn up for the 62 ¾ mile run to Tiverton Parkway. I’m very conscious of the delay to this service, and so much checking of the XC app is made to work out whether we are losing time or actually clawing back a few minutes. We leave Taunton at 13:24, just as the Northbound XC HST leaves Exeter. With us having less distance to cover in the race to Tiverton Parkway, the connection is still very much on and providing nothing else delays us (which let’s face it, on a simple 13-odd mile stretch is unlikely!) and I should make the connection ok.

To be sure, I leave my seat in coach A and walk down to coach E, just before the Express Café (meaning that this is one of the sets in the original formation) to line up perfectly with Tiverton Parkway’s long ramp, which has made connections a little tight for comfort in the past. As we approach, there is no sign of the XC HST, and it is only when I am down on the other platform that 43384 and 43366 pull in with the Glasgow. These two were actually the last two power cars I had for haulage before leaving for Paris in August, and this run means that I’ll be on to over 1300 miles from 384. This train is relatively quiet (as always!) and I secure another table seat at the front in coach G for the 59-mile fast run, apart from when the unit from Weston super Mere is put out in front of us, only for us to loop it at Yatton 4 miles later… that seemed a little pointless in retrospect. With a tight connection in mind, I move back a few coaches to coach C (with no air con!) for arrival in Temple Meads, so as to be in line with the subway.

43177 and 43020 are on the reasonably loaded 14:30 Bristol – Pad, which in the end I make comfortably, and I read the paper for the journey to Swindon. Quite a few people get on at Chippenham, and despite being held for a few minutes outside Swindon, we arrive pretty much bang on time. Once again the train in front of my intended service is running late, almost 25 minutes late in fact, and so I join this, the 14:15 Pad – Cardiff with 028 + 43041 for the journey Eastwards. This is quite busy, so I decide that as opposed to doing this through to Cardiff, I will alight at Parkway for my intended train behind, which is running around 10 late.

On the Swansea are 43056 and 43128… again. Still, it’s my fault for having done the Bristol earlier, so I can’t really complain that I’ve had them twice in one day. The Swansea is not quite as busy, although we leave Bristol Parkway very slowly and about 10 late, before passing through Patchway slowly and stopping a few miles afterwards. We are informed that due to a signalling problem in the tunnel, single-line working is in operation and so we will be waiting for a London-bound service before entering ourselves. Another 10 or so minutes are lost here, and by the time we get to Newport it is a case of déja vu, as 028 and 041 have just turfed out their passengers at Newport so that their return working leaves Newport on time. All of these passengers join our train, meaning that Newport is an extended station stop, and we are now 25 minutes late with the train full and standing. The plan to make the 67 on the Holyhead looks pretty much over, fat chance moving down the train to line up with the subway, the only slight comfort being that having this pair again was therefore unavoidable, and at least I’m not arriving in Cardiff an hour late like those who left London at 14:15!

As we come into Cardiff, the 67 is still there, the CDL lights still on. I’m among the first off, but the platforms are crowded and by the time I reach platform 2, it’s 17:19 and the 67 has departed. If perhaps we were without 1 of the 3 reasons for the delay to the Pad – Swansea, I’d have probably made it, but at least it was 67001 which would have been dud. As a consolation, I pick up the very busy 16:28 Swansea – Pad, with 43152 and 43018 providing the power. Noted in the set is coach C as one of the ‘new’ coaches, with no toilet at one end (so presumably this used to be coach H?) and 8 tables, looking very fresh indeed. Also of note is that all Cardiff – Portsmouth services are cancelled to save paths through the tunnel, and as I arrive at Newport I learn that the 15:15 Pad – Cardiff has also been cancelled at Newport.

From Newport it is a rather busy 170521 back across the Severn estuary to Gloucester. Slightly rattily and louder than the 158s from this morning, as expected. We arrive into Gloucester 5 or so minutes late, but overall not a bad day at all, even if I missed the 67.

Day mileage: 370.
Required: 158882, 158798.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
Sounds like a most varied day all in, shame about the issues in the tunnel though. Decent enough bit of mileage though, and I'm curious as to which 2 power cars you need?
 

CC 72100

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Messages
3,852
Decent enough bit of mileage though, and I'm curious as to which 2 power cars you need?

Sorry, when I was saying power cars, I was referring to just the FGW examples - there are large swathes of EC and EMT ones which are required. FGW-wise it's 149 and 153 which have evaded me up to now.

Also, part 2 and 3 to come, been at work all week, sorry! ;)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,862
Location
West of Andover
At least it was issues with the tunnel, I seem to have issues with Newport.

The FOSS is a great value ranger, you could spend all day going backwards and forward from Bristol Parkway to Swindon
 

CC 72100

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Messages
3,852
At least it was issues with the tunnel, I seem to have issues with Newport.

The FOSS is a great value ranger, you could spend all day going backwards and forward from Bristol Parkway to Swindon

Indeed ;)

Day 2...

Friday 13th June

The plan for the day was as follows:

09:25 Gloucester -> Newport (SW) 10:11 (07:04 NOT – CDF)
10:39 Newport (SW) -> Swindon 11:27 (09:28 PAD – SWA)
11:42 Swindon -> Bristol Pwy 12:07 (10:45 PAD – SWA)
12:31 Bristol Pwy -> Tiverton Pwy 13:30 (06:06 EDB – PLY)
13:38 Tiverton Pwy -> Bristol TM 14:25 (12:25 PLY – GLC)
14:48 Bristol TM -> Taunton 15:18 (06:32 DEE – PLY)
15:23 Taunton -> Westbury 16:05 (15:23 TAU – PAD)
16:15 Westbury -> Swindon 17:03 (16:05 WSB – SWI)
17:19 Swindon -> Newport (SW) 18:06 (16:15 PAD – SWA)
18:27 Newport (SW) -> Gloucester 19:19 (17:15 MST – CNM)

For possibly the first time in history, my Stagecoach bus was at my stop over 5 minutes early, and we arrived in Gloucester at 8:20 as opposed to the 8:50 timetabled arrival. This left with the minor headache of working out what to do for an hour in Gloucester – never easy at the best of times, as whilst it is not exactly ‘rural and deserted with nothing to do’, it’s not the nicest place either! A quick trip to Greggs, and I was on the platform at 10 to 9, paper bought and ready for the first train of the day, the 170 across to Cardiff.

The train to Maesteg is due to leave Gloucester at 8:58, making it annoyingly not valid on the rover which becomes active at 9am on weekdays. However, as I see pacer 143610 come round the corner, I decide that I’ll try my luck and ask the guard whether he’ll let me on, given that it is a matter of minutes until my ticket is valid. The nod of approval proves that if you don’t ask, you don’t get, and our lightly loaded pacer (which was required!) sets off towards Cardiff. Across the Severn Estuary it really is a pleasant ride, and with the sun shining in through the wide pacer windows, the panoramic view that we get could be mistaken for the stretch between Teignmouth and Newton Abbot, indeed the pacer does give a rather ‘Devon feel’ to it. This train gets busier at Chepstow and having decided that doing an early Pad-bound service gets me no advantage whatsoever, I stay on until Cardiff where we arrive a few minutes late at 10:15.

Every positive can also carry a negative. In this case, it is bumping in unexpectedly to a very good friend at Cardiff Central, where if I had stuck to my plan, I wouldn’t even be at. Returning from a night out, I try my best to dodge round the issue of why I’ve gone from Gloucester to Cardiff to go to Swindon and move onto World Cup talk very quickly. I think he suspects that I have some sort of interest in the railway by now anyway…

The Swansea – Pad comes in with 43176 and 43185, and is rather well loaded and in reverse formation today. It’s the usual quick run on this stretch, thankfully the problems from yesterday with the tunnel are no more and after briefly being held outside Swindon, we arrive just before half past leaving me a comfortable connection for my train back Westbound. 43138 and 43163 pull in with 10:45 London Pad – Swansea; we have a very quick journey on this train, as we take just 21 minutes to do the 34 or so miles which separate Swindon and Bristol Parkway, an impressive run indeed!

Noted at Bristol Parkway is the usual collection of Freightliner 66s, and a Network Rail test train with top and tail DRS 37s before my train, the slightly late running Edinburgh – Plymouth HST comes in. Having already checked the gen, I’m not surprised when 43366 and 43384, the pair that I had yesterday, pull in. Just like last time, this train is well loaded and I stand for the short journey to Temple Meads, taking advantage of a pair of airline seats in coach E which become free just before Temple Meads where a fair few get off. We leave Temple Meads right time, and take the usual 45 minutes or so for a nice fast run to Tiverton Parkway, where my connection is not as tight as yesterday for the other XC HST back North – I’m pretty sure that this move finds itself into every FOSS which I do.

So far, so good. Everything has been on time, one line in the book today with a bit of extra mileage to boot, and a table seat in coach G hauled by 43301 and 43207 on a deserted 12:25 Plymouth – Leeds. We do get a held a little bit by Nailsea & Backwell, and so it is a good job that I don’t plan on doing the 14:30 HST to Pad today, as the connection would have been reduced to just 2 minutes, and platform 3 to platform 13 via the subway at Temple Meads can take longer than 2 minutes!

However, the Dundee – Plymouth is losing time between Yate and Bristol Parkway. I had checked before arrival at Temple Meads, and it was 3 down. Now it’s 7 down. Then just a few minutes later, it’s announced as 10 down. That’s my +5 connection at Taunton for the 15:23 Taunton – Pad out of the window. With the aim of a) doing the Transwilts line and b) doing Taunton – Westbury key aims of the day, I hurriedly gather paper timetables (I didn’t have a single timetable on me, and my phone is dying so cannot keep checking the XC app!) and decide instead to do the move in reverse. It’s not great, as it means a voyager trip back towards Gloucestershire later, but it will do. Panic over.

I have another table on the 15:00 to Pad, with 43143 and 43142 providing the power. It is a pleasant ride through Chippenham, where I have a 15 minute connection for the 15:14 unit from Swindon to Westbury. A smidgen late, 153318 pulls in with this service, and it is relatively well-loaded when we leave Chippenham on our second attempt at leaving. I’ve got a table seat, but the 153 seems to be covered in rubbish – just like people who seem to get a buzz out of blocking train toilets, others seem to enjoy leaving them in a complete tip without any thought for the next person sat there. Very soon it becomes apparent that our 153 is a little unwell, and we seem to be topping out at 35 miles an hour or so. We arrive in Melksham 5 late or so, where 10 or more so passengers join us. It’s another 2 attempts to leave job, as our 153 starts to struggle even more. I ask the guard what time he thinks we’ll arrive in Westbury, with my 20 minute or so connection for the Penzance HST in mind, who responds “who knows – it’s not guaranteed that we’ll get there at this rate!”. The guard also agrees to phone control ahead in order to hold the Westbound HST, which actually is already 10 late or so.

Leaving Trowbridge, we go from bad to worse, and a little unwell turns to intensive care. The guard reports that the driver cannot go over notch 3, although judging by the speed we reach between Trowbridge and Westbury, notch 2 may look a little risky and/or optimistic too. We trundle along topping out now at 15 miles an hour, surely delaying Portsmouth + Weymouth services behind us. This gets gradually worse and in the end turns into walking pace. Just outside Westbury we pass the Penzance HST which has been held on the curve – I’m not sure if the aim was to ensure the connection for us, or whether to avoid our train having to stop, with the concern that we wouldn’t be able to get going again. Finally arriving at Westbury almost half an hour late, taking over 20 minutes to do 4 miles 3 chains, after thanking the guard I’m off under the tunnel to the opposite platform for the Penzance HST, which is now about 20 late.

Being a Cornwall-bound train on a Friday, the train is relatively full, and after an hour in the sweatbox that was 153318, I stand by the droplight for a fast run to Tiverton Parkway, behind 43124 and 43087 – the exact same pair I had over this piece of track the day before. We just miss the 17:21 Northbound voyager, and so it’s a relatively nice spot in the sun on Taunton platform for the 17:51 to Leeds, the 16:25 ex-Plymouth.

This is announced as a 4 coach voyager, and I fear the worst as 220017 (required – every cloud..!) pulls in. Much to my surprise it’s actually not rammed full, and in fact I have a pair of airline seats, no plastic pillar, and a lovely cool and quiet quiet coach at the front of the train. For a voyager journey, it wasn’t too bad at all. We have a rather amusing announcement as we are "asked to keep the aisles clear so that the catering woman can bring her MCV - that's a Mobile Catering Vehicle through the train".... I thought it was called a trolley!? ;) A change of plan sees me picked up at Bristol Parkway where our train arrives slightly late.

It was a day in which I had to change my plan significantly in the afternoon – missing out on the other XC HST diagram of the day was a shame, but I took consolation from the fact that I had have gone through with it, and miraculously made the Paddington train, the 16:15 Westbury – Swindon would have been most certainly cancelled anyway – 153318 was in no fit state to do anything by the time we were finished with it, but a good day overall, can't complain.

Day mileage: 460 ½
Required: 143610, 220017
 
Last edited:

CC 72100

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Messages
3,852
Saturday 14th June

The plan for the day was as follows:

08:52 Cheltenham Spa -> Dawlish 10:59 (06:00 LDS – PGN)
11:19 Dawlish -> Newton Abbot 11:39 (08:35 PAD – PGN)
11:42 Newton Abbot -> Plymouth 12:28 (09:06 PAD – PNZ)
13:00 Plymouth -> Taunton 14:28 (11:00 PNZ – PAD)
14:39 Taunton -> Paignton 15:58 (12:35 PAD – PGN)
16:37 Paignton -> Exeter SD 17:23 (16:37 PGN - LDS)
17:50 Exeter SD -> Newton Abbot 18:23 (17:50 EXD – PNZ)
19:04 Newton Abbot -> Cheltenham Spa 21:09 (16:25 PNZ – LDS)

As per last year, I was joined by dad for this last day in which a Devon ranger was purchased and the majority of time was spent down in Devon. The day started off with the usual move, on the 06:00 Leeds – Plymouth with, 43366 and surprise surprise, 43384 on the other end. With almost 1550 miles now from the latter, I’ll be looking forward to some different power cars next time out, 3 times in 3 days is quite enough!

We grab a table seat in Coach G, the quiet coach with failed aricon, after a large group with 7/8 year old children decide that reservations for 12 in the quiet coach is perhaps not ideal, even if it was just for the journey down to Bristol. We arrive at Bristol TM on time, and await the update of our reservation, which flicks from ‘Reserved until Bristol Temple Meads’ to ‘Seat Available’. That’s that sorted then. Unfortunately, on the table behind, all is not quite so clear, as a gentleman in his 60s react rather angrily to the thought that his seat is now reserved, and eventually moves with much fuss and swearing. He claims that it originally showed ‘Seat Available’ before going to ‘Reserved Bristol Temple Meads to Taunton’. Having spent enough time on XC HSTs over the past few days, I think that he is, well, err, wrong. Fortunately the train remains relatively lightly loaded throughout and so moving to a ‘Seat Available’ is not exactly a hard thing to find…

The fast run continues and despite a slight delay that we pick up, we arrive at Dawlish just over 5 late. Not a bad run at all. Must be said that coach G was getting a little stuffy and warm by Exeter, I imagine that the return to Scotland was not comfortable. After a brief walk on the beach, its back to Dawlish for the Pad - Paignton, which announces its approach down the sea wall with much activity on the horn. Martin, the rather jolly train manager welcomes us on-board the deserted train, which as per last year is slightly late, and 43156 and 43162 take us the remaining 12 or so miles down the sea wall, my first mileage from the former since early 2012.

Barely after arrival in Newton Abbot, 43092 and 43140 show up on the 9:06 Pad – Penzance, which runs right behind the Paignton train. It’s a Saturday and a train to Cornwall, so there is a little surprise that the train is well loaded and we sit across the aisle from eachother in airline seats, before grabbing a free pair of seats at Totnes where quite a few people alight. Newton Abbot down to Plymouth does feel quite slow compared to some of the faster stretches from the last few days, but we make up enough time to shake off the slight delay and arrive in Plymouth bang on time just before half past.

After seeing 57605 (dud for both of us) leave for Exeter, we wait on platform 7 in the sun for the Penzance – Pad, which arrives bang on time with 43129 and 43195. In contrast to what we expected, this train is relatively light loaded, and Coach A which seems to contain about 3 reservations in total, is very quiet indeed. We therefore are able to secure a table on the sea wall side with ease, and enjoy a decent run to Exeter, where 57605 is observed behind a 159 at the Eastern end of the station.

Exeter SD to Taunton is always a fast run, even more so when the train does not stop at Tiverton Parkway. We are the first of 3 Paddington trains in 15 minutes from Exeter – none of which stop at Tiverton Parkway, despite the one from Paignton having stopped on the sea wall. Compared to last year, our connection at Taunton is much less tight, and 43004 and 43122 pull in on time on the 12:35 Pad – Paignton, which is once again, dead. We secure a table at one end of coach B – at the other end is someone listening rather loudly to Lionel Ritchie – thankfully the air circulating in the vestibule drowns this out when moving!

At Exeter a crew change sees jolly Martin join us once more, we’re in Paignton just a few minutes late, just after 4. It was at this stage last year where all hell broke loose – not today as a Cornish Pasty is purchased from Warrens (Oggy Oggy Pasty shop STILL closed in Paignton after the fire last year!!) and we eat this on the 16:37 Paignton – Leeds, with 43301 and 43207. We sit in coach C towards the rear to avoid the masses returning from their day out in the sun, even if this coach is without lights, reservations, air conditioning… presumably power in general?! This train seems to have a ticket inspector as well as a TM – to be honest I’m surprised that XC have bothered with having two staff members on this service, although I imagine that a fair few fares are collected which makes it worthwhile. By the time the train leaves Exeter, lights have made their way back on and it’s mainly a new set of passengers on board, and we make our way over the platform 1 to see 57605 come in with the 17:50 to Penzance.

We grab a table for two in the front coach which is also suffering from an air conditioning fault making it very hot, having had an afternoon sat just outside Exeter to heat up. We leave a few minute late, but a 57 on load 3 manages to make up this time with ease. I must admit, this is the shortest loco-hauled train I’ve ever done. Presumably done a few load 5s in Virgin XC days and out in France, maybe even a load 4 with top and tail 31s a good 10-15 years ago in East Anglia, but never 3. This is nowhere near the shortest dad has ever done – he remembers doing a staff train with a class 45/1 and one BSK back in the early 80s from St. Pancras to Wellingborough.

After Dawlish we move to coach B, which in comparison to coach A, is a freezer. After seeing the train which probably has the overall capacity of a 143 continue its journey towards Cornwall, we view the next Paddington-bound train and decide against it, before taking a table right at the front of coach G (and a bonus, this one HAS air con!) on the quiet Penzance – Leeds, with 43303 and 43378, the pair which I should have had on the Dundee – Plymouth the day before.

These two put in an absolutely cracking run back to Gloucestershire – I don’t know if we had a particularly fast driver or whether it was the effects of trundling down Devon earlier on in the day, but this train seemed very fast on the journey back, even if the TGS did make for some rough-riding, particularly between Exeter and Bristol. It goes without saying that we arrive at Cheltenham bang on time, and after seeing the relatively empty train depart (and not sluggishly, unsurprising given the good run we had just had!) it was back in the car home to watch England’s first game of the world cup. Less said about that the better.

Overall it was 3 very good days, plenty of value got out of the ticket with particular highlights being the Transwilts line, the 57, and some fast Bristol – Swindon runs, without forgetting the relative mileage moves on the XC HSTs on some equally fast runs, with a required pacer to boot.

Day mileage: 502 ½
Required: N/A
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
Wow, an excellent trip overall by the sounds of it! I guess the main aim of the bash was to do HSTs, given there was no sign of action anywhere else!

Things like that 153 issue make reforming the lot back into 155s very sensible, a back up option if one engine suffers at least. I had 150126 several years ago from Droitwich Spa to Worcester (can't recall which shack) when it had one engine out, a very strange experience being sat in that coach for sure! Performance sure struggled, and I've yet to have a 153 that poorly before. 153355 with brakes taking a century to come off on an EMT run out of Stoke in the last couple of years (this reminds me, I need to do a WMDR to try and score some 153s), and watching a pair of 153s struggle for ages to couple up at Llandrindod some years back, but not had an engine problem like you did. Yet...

Aye I guessed you referred to power cars on the Western, I too need too many of them on EC/GC, and I seriously doubt I'll ever get 013/014/062! It took me a long time to get the Western's lot done myself, and that was with a lot of effort looking for them at the time. It didn't help at the time more and more came in for a while, but I did eventually get my last one on 12th May 2008 (yes that long ago!) with 43193. I'm sure I've gone into that story before on the forum though...

I really need to do a FoSS again, it's been way too long since I did one and I have a fair few EMUs to get, as well as a few DMUs on the Western, not forgetting 158884...

Glad you enjoyed the trip, hope you'll post more trip reports! :D
 

CC 72100

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Messages
3,852
Yes, HST bashing was the aim - it's really a rover which lends itself to that, and given how ever Paddington train being HST isn't going to be around for that much longer, I'd rather do that then do units on Weymouth + Portsmouth for example. Not saying that I wouldn't do them one day though...

In terms of doing the EMT/EC/GC power cars - it would probably have to be a trip away to try and do as many as possible in a few days. In April an EC power car found it's way onto an XC diagram for two days, but unfortunately I'd already had it :P

Re. Network Rail power cars, I have actually had 014 - 29/07/2000 for 6 miles between Bristol Pwy and Temple Meads ;)

As for 153s - it's a difficult one - there probably are lines which require no more than a 153, although they will need work to meet DDA regulations and their bodywork isn't in a great shape. Unfortunately I can't see a long-term future for them, even if reformed. I'd go as far to say they could be centre cars on 150s which are made into 3 coaches (a slightly crazy plan I'll admit) but by themselves based on current condition and build quality... I don't know.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
Yes, HST bashing was the aim - it's really a rover which lends itself to that, and given how ever Paddington train being HST isn't going to be around for that much longer, I'd rather do that then do units on Weymouth + Portsmouth for example. Not saying that I wouldn't do them one day though...

Aye that's a very good point. Only a couple more years until HSTs are difficult to come by now :(

In terms of doing the EMT/EC/GC power cars - it would probably have to be a trip away to try and do as many as possible in a few days. In April an EC power car found it's way onto an XC diagram for two days, but unfortunately I'd already had it :P

Re. Network Rail power cars, I have actually had 014 - 29/07/2000 for 6 miles between Bristol Pwy and Temple Meads ;)

It took me forever to do all the MML then EMT power cars, and I need more with EC than I did before 072 and 074 got converted to 272 and 274! At least GC's lot stick to the Sunderland route, makes it a bit easier to get them :lol:

Jammy git, but you never know, the NMT lot might get transferred back to passenger use eventually. It happened with 089 and 154 after all!

As for 153s - it's a difficult one - there probably are lines which require no more than a 153, although they will need work to meet DDA regulations and their bodywork isn't in a great shape. Unfortunately I can't see a long-term future for them, even if reformed. I'd go as far to say they could be centre cars on 150s which are made into 3 coaches (a slightly crazy plan I'll admit) but by themselves based on current condition and build quality... I don't know.

I wouldn't even dream of putting 153s into 150s, not considering how badly the 458/5 conversion programme is going :lol: We'll see how things go in the next few years I suppose, in a way I'm glad I haven't many of them to get now!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,862
Location
West of Andover
Wow, an excellent trip overall by the sounds of it! I guess the main aim of the bash was to do HSTs, given there was no sign of action anywhere else!

Things like that 153 issue make reforming the lot back into 155s very sensible, a back up option if one engine suffers at least. I had 150126 several years ago from Droitwich Spa to Worcester (can't recall which shack) when it had one engine out, a very strange experience being sat in that coach for sure! Performance sure struggled, and I've yet to have a 153 that poorly before. 153355 with brakes taking a century to come off on an EMT run out of Stoke in the last couple of years (this reminds me, I need to do a WMDR to try and score some 153s), and watching a pair of 153s struggle for ages to couple up at Llandrindod some years back, but not had an engine problem like you did. Yet...

Aye I guessed you referred to power cars on the Western, I too need too many of them on EC/GC, and I seriously doubt I'll ever get 013/014/062! It took me a long time to get the Western's lot done myself, and that was with a lot of effort looking for them at the time. It didn't help at the time more and more came in for a while, but I did eventually get my last one on 12th May 2008 (yes that long ago!) with 43193. I'm sure I've gone into that story before on the forum though...

I really need to do a FoSS again, it's been way too long since I did one and I have a fair few EMUs to get, as well as a few DMUs on the Western, not forgetting 158884...

Glad you enjoyed the trip, hope you'll post more trip reports! :D

When on my East Midlands Adventure, the first EMT service from Crewe to Derby was formed of a double 153 where one of the engines wasn't working to the best of it's abilities and arrived 15 or so minutes late.

I would have made the connection if it hadn't been cancelled though, still had 4 minutes to get around Derby.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top