My dad tells me that once upon a time in the Soviet Socialist Republic of South Yorkshire, all local buses were free... I'm going to assume that such a policy wasn't a success, or at least wasn't allowed to be!
I had my suspicions but he won't hear it!More accurately, it's not true. Though fares were very cheap indeed (frozen from about 1980, I believe), and it was the intention to eventually abolish fares, but local government reorganisation and deregulation put paid to that (these events were not completely unrelated to local transport policies).
My dad tells me that once upon a time in the Soviet Socialist Republic of South Yorkshire, all local buses were free... I'm going to assume that such a policy wasn't a success, or at least wasn't allowed to be!
More accurately, it's not true. Though fares were very cheap indeed (frozen from about 1980, I believe), and it was the intention to eventually abolish fares, but local government reorganisation and deregulation put paid to that (these events were not completely unrelated to local transport policies).
I had my suspicions but he won't hear it!
Pretty rare now in places of any great size. Portland and SLC have both axed their free-fare areas, I think.I understand that some American cities operate free in the downtown.
A remarkably empty list...
My dad tells me that once upon a time in the Soviet Socialist Republic of South Yorkshire, all local buses were free... I'm going to assume that such a policy wasn't a success, or at least wasn't allowed to be!
A remarkably empty list...![]()
Not UK but Melbourne used to have one and has a free tram.
Ipswich has the 37 which was the 38. Town centre to The council headquarters.
Nope. it is tendered. Paid from the monies the car park at the council headquarter car park generates.
This now charges £2.00 flat fare (for a day ticket) unless you have a through rail ticket to Cowes IOW.Does the free shuttle bus from the Red Jet in Southampton that used to run into the city centre in the early 2000s still run?
Aah right thanksThis now charges £2.00 flat fare (for a day ticket) unless you have a through rail ticket to Cowes IOW.