• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Frankfurt to Hanau day ticket and zonal validity

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnkleBoots

Member
Joined
8 Jan 2017
Messages
506
I bought a Frankfurt to Hanau day ticket thinking it would give me the right to travel in a wide area - east as far as Hanau but also west to a similar distance.

Apparently not, the guard said it was not even valid to the airport (which is kind of within the Frankfurt fare zone).

Can anyone explain more about pricing in this area?

I know that in Dusseldorf for example, if you buy a zone C ticket you can travel two zones in any direction.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Quakkerillo

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2015
Messages
553
What ticket did you have exactly? And how much did it cost?
Was it a €13.60 regular return? Then it's only valid for one journey per direction. (IC/EC/ICE not permitted)
Was it a €13.25 day ticket? Then it's valid for as many journeys to Hanau, as well as in the Frankfurt zones, EXCEPT the airport, as per https://www.rmv.de/auskunft/bin/jp/...6251&CMS_AppId=Tarifauskunft&OK#tariffGroup_2
Was it a €16.75 day ticket? Then it is valid for as many journeys to Hanau, as well as Frankfurt Flughafen (IC/EC/ICE not permitted) as per https://www.rmv.de/auskunft/bin/jp/...5911&CMS_AppId=Tarifauskunft&OK#tariffGroup_2
Zone 5090 is specifically mentioned as being valid, and that is for Frankfurt Flughafen.

Also, regular tickets for Frankfurt zone are NOT valid to the airport, as per the Preis und Geltungsbereich on this page: https://www.rmv.de/c/de/fahrkarten/...rkarten-im-ueberblick/tageskarten/tageskarte/

The map with al the zones can be found here: https://www.rmv.de/c/fileadmin/documents/PDFs/_RMV_DE/Fahrkarten/Preisstufen/Ausschnitt_FFM.pdf

I hope that this answers your questions, and if you held the €13.25 ticket, then the guard was correct.
 

AnkleBoots

Member
Joined
8 Jan 2017
Messages
506
It was the 22.70 Gruppentageskarte, which I think corresponds to your 13.25 ticket.

Would it have been possible to buy the 16.75 ticket from a ticket machine in central Frankfurt? (It didn't seem possible to change the origin)
 

Quakkerillo

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2015
Messages
553
Yeah, the 22.70 seems to be for the Frankfurt Airport-excluding ticket.
Whether or not you can buy the other option at a machine, I am afraid I can't answer that. If you had asked this 2 days earlier, I would have checked as I had 45 minutes in Frankfurt/Main Hbf on my return from Prague to Brussels. And I can't exactly find any verification of what you can and can not do at these machines.
But maybe someone else will be able to help you out.
 

AnkleBoots

Member
Joined
8 Jan 2017
Messages
506
Was it a €13.25 day ticket? Then it's valid for as many journeys to Hanau, as well as in the Frankfurt zones, EXCEPT the airport
Thank you for providing the links by the way. Do Frankfurt zones mean 5001, 5002, 5003, 5004, 5005, 5009 or just 5001?

My ticket just says 5001 to 3001 via 0000, Preisstufe 40.
 

Quakkerillo

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2015
Messages
553
I just noticed that my first two links don't actually give the exact result.
If you fill in Frankfurt am Main and Hanau for "Ort" you get the more expensive ticket with larger validity.
If you change the entry to Bahnhof/Haltestelle and Frankfurt am Main Hbf to Hanau Hbf you get the cheaper ticket with smaller validity.

If I select the 13.25/22.70 ticket, and go to its validity, it says this: https://i.imgur.com/O6J0tF2.png

Preisstufe 40
Freigegebene Tarifgebiete: 2901, 2909, 2953, 3001, 3601, 3630, 5001, 5007, 5008, 5009, 5010, 5059, 2645, 3075, 3670, 3671, 3675, 3695, 5061, 5064, 5071, 5073, 5081, 5082, 5084

So basically only zones through which you could actually go from zone 5001 to 3001. The non-bold ones are tiny areas that aren't on the map, and are only to be found in this pdf: https://www.rmv.de/c/fileadmin/docu...mernverzeichnis_sortiert_nach_Zielnummern.pdf
But they are - from what I just could see - (almost) all covered in the bolded zones as well, so their existence may be for some specific monthly/short-hop tickets only.
 

atraindriver

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2014
Messages
426
Location
Enjoying retirement
I bought a Frankfurt to Hanau day ticket thinking it would give me the right to travel in a wide area - east as far as Hanau but also west to a similar distance.
If you visit the area again, check out the RheinMainCard*, a two-day regional tourist card for €26 (one person)/€46 (group) which includes full RMV validity, so is much cheaper than any wide-area RMV day ticket.
Only issue with the RheinMainCard is that you have to buy it from Tourist Information offices (or TraffiQ in Frankfurt/Main) or online as a print-at-home (or print-at-hotel!) ticket; you can't buy it at station ticket offices or ticket machines.

* https://www.frankfurt-rhein-main.de/en/Information-Planning/RheinMainCard
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top