• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Four lines modernisation closures - Saturday 11th November

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
5 Sep 2018
Messages
234
Can anybody tell me when the date for these tube line closures was decided upon? There is some possible misinformation going round on "X" that they are being closed in order to curb the numbers of the planned mass demonstration in support of Palestine.

I think this is fanciful, but the earliest reference to the closures I can find is a Time Out article from 2nd November.

Surely a closure and upgrade of this magnitude must have been planned for months? In which case I can put people straight and nip these rumours in the bud.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,411
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
Can anybody tell me when the date for these tube line closures was decided upon? There is some possible misinformation going round on "X" that they are being closed in order to curb the numbers of the planned mass demonstration in support of Palestine.

I think this is fanciful, but the earliest reference to the closures I can find is a Time Out article from 2nd November.

Surely a closure and upgrade of this magnitude must have been planned for months? In which case I can put people straight and nip these rumours in the bud.

There’s nothing like a good conspiracy theory, however these sorts of closures take many months to plan and prepare for. There’s absolutely no way they will have been planned in the space of a couple of weeks.
 

Dstock7080

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2010
Messages
3,531
Location
West London
The timetable notices have a date of 22 September 2023, but were planned several months before.
 

stuu

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2011
Messages
3,772
What are they actually doing that means nearly all the SSL and the Jubilee line is closed? Presumably works at Neasden?
 

Dstock7080

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2010
Messages
3,531
Location
West London
Software updates and testing the link between Hammersmith Service Control Centre and Neasden Service Control Centre, ready for the CBTC Communications Based Train Control extensions to, Preston Road, Harrow, East Putney, Stamford Brook
 
Last edited:

Route115?

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2021
Messages
376
Location
Ruislip
I think that LUL would have been better off closing the SSLs on Friday before 15:00 rather than Saturday. A large demo, rememberance events, football matches & so on. Friday peak usage is 55% down compared with pre-covid - it still gets busier later in the day. However I suppose that you do not want to hit commuters.

Most tube lines were very busy today, particularly the Victoria Line. Oxford Circus had queues exiting the Victoria / Bakerloo line for the Central Line and Marble Arch was closed due to congestion when I passed through at 12:30. I think that weekend users don't know the system as well as regular commuters so you need more space to cope with the same number.

SSL trains were running at Baker St before 14:00. Presumably a start time of 15:00 was to allow for delays and trains were crewed and available to enter service once the sofware update was complete.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,411
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
I think that LUL would have been better off closing the SSLs on Friday before 15:00 rather than Saturday. A large demo, rememberance events, football matches & so on. Friday peak usage is 55% down compared with pre-covid - it still gets busier later in the day. However I suppose that you do not want to hit commuters.

Most tube lines were very busy today, particularly the Victoria Line. Oxford Circus had queues exiting the Victoria / Bakerloo line for the Central Line and Marble Arch was closed due to congestion when I passed through at 12:30. I think that weekend users don't know the system as well as regular commuters so you need more space to cope with the same number.

SSL trains were running at Baker St before 14:00. Presumably a start time of 15:00 was to allow for delays and trains were crewed and available to enter service once the sofware update was complete.

I’m not sure how LU could realistically have made plans (bearing in mind these sorts of closures are planned many months ahead) for a demo that no one would have known was going to happen.

And, frankly, even if they did whether serving people attending a somewhat contentious political demo should be deemed more important than people needing to get to work, and who are in turn contributing to the economy.
 

James H

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2014
Messages
1,547
Even without the demos, the closure affected the Lord Mayor's Show, with noticeably fewer people around Blackfriars and Mansion House stations.
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,163
Location
JB
I think that LUL would have been better off closing the SSLs on Friday before 15:00 rather than Saturday. A large demo, rememberance events, football matches & so on. Friday peak usage is 55% down compared with pre-covid - it still gets busier later in the day. However I suppose that you do not want to hit commuters.

Most tube lines were very busy today, particularly the Victoria Line. Oxford Circus had queues exiting the Victoria / Bakerloo line for the Central Line and Marble Arch was closed due to congestion when I passed through at 12:30. I think that weekend users don't know the system as well as regular commuters so you need more space to cope with the same number.

SSL trains were running at Baker St before 14:00. Presumably a start time of 15:00 was to allow for delays and trains were crewed and available to enter service once the sofware update was complete.
The closure was set long before the demo and the football matches, as has been explained multiple times. It would not have been possible to move the closure without impacting on other works - and then the only option would be backwards.

Trains were always going to be running from 1400 - 1500 was, as usual, given as the time when a near-full service was operating in both directions on all routes. You can't instantly populate an area.

Certainly the busiest London has been for some months, but not unheard of and certainly manageable. The biggest problem, at least in SSL land, was the restrictions around the operation of buses.
 

DavyCrocket

Member
Joined
27 Oct 2006
Messages
670
Friday was actually very busy. Moreso than normal. If going to go for peculiar closures, how about Sunday evening to Monday afternoon.

Someone will always be affected
 

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Joined
16 Jun 2019
Messages
3,188
Location
London
I’m not sure how LU could realistically have made plans (bearing in mind these sorts of closures are planned many months ahead) for a demo that no one would have known was going to happen.

And, frankly, even if they did whether serving people attending a somewhat contentious political demo should be deemed more important than people needing to get to work, and who are in turn contributing to the economy.

Demos also contribute to the economy....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top