• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forum members who are either current or former NHS workers

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,454
Location
Yorkshire
I'd like to invite any forum member to contribute to this thread; either if you work for, or have worked for, the NHS.

I'll also include in that anyone who works within NHS buildings/teams but works for a third party contractor.

What was your experience? Anything you are particularly proud of?

My experience fantastic. The people were amazing. I really enjoyed it. It was shy when I started but it helped me to gain confidence.

By the end of my 13 months there, I had access to many areas of the hospital. It was nice to know I had played a part (even if only a small one) in many different areas. It was really interesting to go into all sorts of places I'd never imagined I'd go to (or even existed). I was perhaps lucky to be there at the right time, as it was a time of immense change. I don't think any particular moment stood out for me but the whole experience was absolutely crucial in getting my next job and ultimately where I am today. I'm proud of the fact I worked there and am very grateful for the experience.

If other members of the forum wish to share their experiences, I'd be interested to hear them :)

(Note: I've deliberately put this thread in General Discussion and not any other area for a reason; if anyone wishes to discuss any matters related to the NHS but also related to Covid-19, please create a thread in that area of the forum rather than replying to this one, thanks!)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,125
I've just retired after 44 years in the NHS, but not on the front line. I wouldn't have stayed for so long if I didn't enjoy it. The staff were all very good, and I found that the NHS gave you a lot of responsibility, with freedom to operate, but obviously within the rules. There was a sense of working 'for the common good' rather than each man/woman to their own, without any 'backstabbing' you may find in other businesses. There was also a sense of personal achievement and self-satisfaction when you developed new services or made improvements.
 

johntea

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2010
Messages
3,049
I have worked in NHS IT support (infrastructure) for 3 years now, although it literally feels like 3 months!

Prior to this role I did 9 years in FE college IT, started as a basic technician but became senior technician after a year since the previous one left to go and work for Northern as a train driver :D

The nice part about this role was it literally involved every type of support from replacing a toner cartridge one day to replacing a network switch the next so fantastic in terms of building knowledge and experience.

I started in 2007 and little did I know how much everything would change in 2012 when my line manager had a quite serious heart attack...he eventually came back only for the head of IT to suddenly die a year later :(

I’ll always remember his last words ‘Have a good weekend, see you on Monday’, it still makes me quite upset at times thinking about it as this was the type of boss who once came with me on some fancy conference in Blackpool and insisted we go to Yates at 11am straight after stepping off the train for a Guiness before going to the conference! (Which then involved wine so that was an interesting day out!)

That was enough for my line manager to decide he was off too to spend some time with his wife, in a cruel twist of fate she sadly passed away just a year later which absolutely broke him, we make sure we go and visit him for a couple of hours at least once a year just to cheer him up a bit which I think shows the close relationship we had as a team there

Waffled on far too much now so will post Part 2 (the actual NHS bit!) tomorrow :)
 

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
2,087
Location
Ellesmere port
Not quite NHS, but I am a bank care assistant at a local nursing home. I started this venture, alongside my full-time business, in January and work one or two days a week. It’s not glamorous, however I do enjoy it. Those of you who have met me, will likely find it hard to imagine me wearing scrubs! I am very interested at joining the NHS, moreover, the Ambulance Service and I wanted to gain some hands-on experience working with people, not only for the benefit of my CV, but for my own personal benefit. Coming from an engineering background, I never saw myself in this job, or even contemplating it. But being Filipino, and being surrounded by thousands of people who work in care or for the NHS, it really inspired me to take up such a role. As I said, bodily fluids etc are not glamorous, but making our elderly residents happy and providing care for the generation that helped us at one time, for me, is highly rewarding.

Aside from that, I did apply for the NHS as a maintenance assistant last year, but they reckoned I was overqualified! I used to work for Ove Arup, and we had actually done work for the same hospital in the past, so they were puzzled as to why I was applying for such a role. But they tried to convince me to join the engineering team instead and even offered to keep me on file if I declined. However, at the time I was looking for a job that wasn’t desk-bound!
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,910
Four years. (A long time ago).

Good people. But some astonishing levels of waste and inefficiency. (I know it’s not fashionable to say that about the NHS).
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,944
Location
Devon
Four years. (A long time ago).

Good people. But some astonishing levels of waste and inefficiency. (I know it’s not fashionable to say that about the NHS).
Three years (A long time ago).

Good people but, ah. What @Bald Rick said... :lol:
Add Social Services to that too. Astonishingly good at wasting money but such an important part of our societal makeup.
I didn’t know what should’ve been done about it then, and I still don’t know now to be honest...
 

ComUtoR

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2013
Messages
9,562
Location
UK
But some astonishing levels of waste and inefficiency. (I know it’s not fashionable to say that about the NHS).

My best mate is a Facilities Manager and I'm stunned with how much waste there is. He's worked for the NHS since he was about 17. His partner has recently retired but still works as a Consultant. Some of her stories about how the NHS operate would make some shocking tabloid headlines. Another good friend of mine has worked in the medical equipment industry also since he left school, many moons ago. If you want to hear about some of the insane contracting between the NHS and their supplies, he can tell you numbers that will make your toes curl.

My Nephews Mother is a Midwife and I have also worked for the NHS way back in my early working life, albeit not for long.

In my personal experience and those vicariously from others. I have learned that the NHS is a huge entity and is far greater than the sum of its parts. It is also more than just Nurses and Doctors.
 

PG

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
3,470
Location
at the end of the high and low roads
I have learned that the NHS is a huge entity and is far greater than the sum of its parts. It is also more than just Nurses and Doctors.
So very true and something that I feel some of the public don't realise.
There was a sense of working 'for the common good' rather than each man/woman to their own, without any 'backstabbing' you may find in other businesses.

Spent 9 years on the frontline (5 years since I left) and it really opened my eyes to how much we all rely on each other. If someone asked for this or that you didn't question why as you knew it was to benefit a patient, even if indirectly. Sure you learnt the I'll scratch your back and you'll scratch mine lesson and would often trade things to make up for the somewhat daft way procurement worked but that was life, you did what was needed for the common good.

In my last role I was lucky enough to have a position taking me all over the hospital and helping so many people while feeling part of whatever area I was in. It's great to feel wanted, appreciated and with a real sense that others have got your back.

I remember not long after I started helping a terminal patient brush her hair though what she really needed was a shoulder to cry on and someone to listen to her without any strings attached. I went home knowing I made a difference and was still able to say that when I left.

Also the nights out were pretty amazing :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top