• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Former East-Kilbride Hamilton Rail Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennyboy

On Moderation
Joined
29 Jan 2016
Messages
67
Location
Denny, Falkirk District
I am encouraged by East Kilbride's (eventual) inclusion in CLYDEmetro. I am 'open' to possible (although not necessarily) reutilisation of redundant trackbed onward eastbound of its current terminus. Very minimal Land Acquisition or Realignment appears to be necessary around High Blantyre were the Hunthill Viaduct pillars to be re-decked. Moving further NE, the breadth of the River Forth between Grangemouth and West Fife would appear to offer potential. That is to (1) ease pressure/congestion on the existing Forth Bridge and (2) increase patronage on proposed Grangemouth Passenger Services. Has consideration ever been given to Bridging the Forth at Grangemouth? Lastly, can anyone enlighten me as to what challenges abound in electrifying current (no pun intended) Cross-Forth rail traffic? Headroom, to me, would appear adequate for the erection of OHLE. Many thanks for taking a few moments of your time to consider my views!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hux385

Member
Joined
25 Apr 2023
Messages
178
Location
Edinburgh
From what I recall, the Clyde Metro unfortunately proposed some kind of 'light rail' solution to East Kilbride using a route via Rutherglen rather than the old route towards Hamilton. Personally, I'd love to see the old route restored (I travel between Motherwell and EK quite a lot and the buses infuriate me!).

The one advantage of a light rail line would be that it could serve more parts of East Kilbride than just the Village and Hairmyres. Anyway, in this current economic climate, I'm not sure how likely any of this is to happen :(
 

Dennyboy

On Moderation
Joined
29 Jan 2016
Messages
67
Location
Denny, Falkirk District
Many thanks for your prompt (almost to a fault) reply to my intetest expressed in the disused EK-Hamilton rail route. However, I'm wondering can anyone 'shed light' on my other two areas of interest. (A) I observe mention of the necessity to equip present Forth Bridge traffic with (a) Battery/Hybrid Propulsion or (b) a 750v 'third-rail'. Bridge Headroom 'strikes' me as being adequate for the errection of catenary/OHLE-wires. (B) Grangemouth's apparent closeness to Culross (koorus) has surprised me of how little (if any) mention has ever been made of constructing a rail-bridge across the River Forth. Additionally, the permanent decommissioning of Kincardine Bridge's opening feature supports a perception of mine. That is that navigation by cumbersome craft (eg shipping) any further upstream of Grangemouth is no longer required. Perhaps the manoeuvring/U-turning of Container Craft in the immediate vicinity may restrict the construction/approval of non-opening bridges. Incidentally, do the "Con' & Use Regs" allow Opening Rail Bridges? The slower approaching speed/s of signal-bound trains MIGHT tolerate minimally misaligned rail-joints lest abrupt derailments be feasible. (D) However slow the progress of UK's Electrification Program ('38%?), I am personally not worried that a larger grade of Shipping Container (W12/9'6") may never be admitted to our lines. Yes, I fully understand and accept that even Electric Route Traffic (inc' locos) must be compatible with the bridges, tunnels & structures on Diesel Only Routes. That is to provide for emergency diversions, supposing even that Diesel or Battery-Powered locos are 'drafred in' to haul the electric stock. Even within the restritive Structure/Loading Guage overall, semi-DoubleDeck passenger-stock could feasibly be incorporated (eg upper saloon a central 3-abreast with sunken side-aisles above lower saloon's seated areas & eased by a sloped/tapered, upholstered ceiling at the approaches). Additional station Dwell-Times could be offset by 'pushing' each sides pair of doors to each end thus accommodating a central third-door ('A 50% door-provision increase v only a 30% seating capacity premium? What's wrong with that? Yes, I've been explained by a separate source that (almost like a light road-vehiclw) the average railcar's construction is chassis-less/monocoque or unitary thus certain interventions CAN compromise structural rigidity. All that said, I'm confident of thete existing on electrified lines a headroom that is surplus to that of 'a safe Arcing Distance'. Therefore, Fully Bi-Level configurations utilused by overseas operators (eg Dopelstok Wagen etc) needn't never come to 'our shores' one day. A renewed appreciation of a few moments if your time!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top