• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Former Airline Engineer looking to join the rail industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aero72man

New Member
Joined
11 Sep 2020
Messages
1
Location
East London/Essex.
Hi to all of you from a new member to this forum. I'm new to this forum and hopefully trying to start a new career in the rail industry on the engineering maintenance side. As a former airline engineer i think i have lots of transferable skills that i think would be useful in this industry. I would be interested to hear any advice from anyone as to how i should prepare when looking for potential vacancies. I have registered with Shorterm and they are currently looking at opurtunities for me. I have a few contacts at depots in the east london area who are keeping their ears open for anything that comes up but as i said if anyone has any advice on how to prepare or areas to research then i would be very grateful. Many thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2017
Messages
3,506
Location
Leicestershire
Hi to all of you from a new member to this forum. I'm new to this forum and hopefully trying to start a new career in the rail industry on the engineering maintenance side. As a former airline engineer i think i have lots of transferable skills that i think would be useful in this industry. I would be interested to hear any advice from anyone as to how i should prepare when looking for potential vacancies. I have registered with Shorterm and they are currently looking at opurtunities for me. I have a few contacts at depots in the east london area who are keeping their ears open for anything that comes up but as i said if anyone has any advice on how to prepare or areas to research then i would be very grateful. Many thanks!
Welcome to the forum, there's a wealth of knowledge and expertise here so you're in the right place!
 

Crazyb

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2014
Messages
178

Though this is a drivers link, just click on jobs and all jobs will come up within the company, not just train drivers vacancies.

Just click on the link above and scroll down.

Not sure if this is your field


maybe something different....I wouldn't worry about experience.

https://gtrailwaycareers.com/jobs/v...r-0537-engineering---hornsey/555/description/
 
Last edited:

Regan

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2015
Messages
76
Location
WEST MIDLAND
Hi to all of you from a new member to this forum. I'm new to this forum and hopefully trying to start a new career in the rail industry on the engineering maintenance side. As a former airline engineer i think i have lots of transferable skills that i think would be useful in this industry. I would be interested to hear any advice from anyone as to how i should prepare when looking for potential vacancies. I have registered with Shorterm and they are currently looking at opurtunities for me. I have a few contacts at depots in the east london area who are keeping their ears open for anything that comes up but as i said if anyone has any advice on how to prepare or areas to research then i would be very grateful. Many thanks!
Hi have a look at colas rail they are looking for fitters/operators.
 

Spurs1961

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2020
Messages
23
Location
London
Hi aero72man, i originally came from an aircraft background and it is an advantage compared to other industries that are trying to get into the rail industry.

Unfortunately you will probably have to start as a basic technician and work through your grades/skills.
If you come from an electrical/avionics background that would probably be an advantage with most companies if you want to get to high tech/advanced fault finder.
 

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2019
Messages
1,517
I would say there will be many many people from the Airline/Aviation industry affected by the Covid19 crisis who will be moving across to the railway industry. Or at least trying to.

CJ
 

92002

Established Member
Joined
27 Mar 2014
Messages
1,261
Location
Clydebank
Hi to all of you from a new member to this forum. I'm new to this forum and hopefully trying to start a new career in the rail industry on the engineering maintenance side. As a former airline engineer i think i have lots of transferable skills that i think would be useful in this industry. I would be interested to hear any advice from anyone as to how i should prepare when looking for potential vacancies. I have registered with Shorterm and they are currently looking at opurtunities for me. I have a few contacts at depots in the east london area who are keeping their ears open for anything that comes up but as i said if anyone has any advice on how to prepare or areas to research then i would be very grateful. Many thanks!
Think I would send your vv to Network Rail. They are always keen to see ready made skills. Usually registering with an agency could mean a long wait and a temporary post
Depends on where you are located but SB Rail a subsidiary of Babcock are away on the lookout for staff. So too Colas and Balfour Beatty.
 

Owen2323

Member
Joined
18 May 2019
Messages
171
Hi to all of you from a new member to this forum. I'm new to this forum and hopefully trying to start a new career in the rail industry on the engineering maintenance side. As a former airline engineer i think i have lots of transferable skills that i think would be useful in this industry. I would be interested to hear any advice from anyone as to how i should prepare when looking for potential vacancies. I have registered with Shorterm and they are currently looking at opurtunities for me. I have a few contacts at depots in the east london area who are keeping their ears open for anything that comes up but as i said if anyone has any advice on how to prepare or areas to research then i would be very grateful. Many thanks!

I'm sure being a rail engineer is a good job but I'm surprised you want out of the aviation engineering sector!? If I could start my career all over again I'd have loved to have gone down that route........ I'm sure Covid has hit the industry hard though and the rail industry will be far more stable
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top