• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formatine and Buchan Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,473
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Can anyone shed any light upon a supposed short-lived halt that was supposed to have been constructed in-between the two stations of Philorth and of Rathen ?

I have, in my railway archives, a hand-written document dated 1925, in which this halt is mentioned briefly in passing, but no dates of opening or closure are mentioned in it.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bill EWS

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2006
Messages
673
Location
Didcot
Philorth halt was a private station built by some landowner/Laird or whatever. I forget who he was at the moment.
 

Bill EWS

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2006
Messages
673
Location
Didcot
The 'station' you are looking for was Philorth Bridge Halt. I knew I had seen two Philorth stations in a map but was thinking that the other one was on the St. Combs branch. However, I found the map and Philorth Bridge Halt was situated between Rathan Station and Philorth Private Halt. Hope that helps.

Edit: Sorry I was correct first time, Philorth Bridge Halt WAS on the St Combs branch, between Cairbulg and Kirkton Bridge Halt.. My apologies.
 
Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
From Quick - Philorth Bridge opened on 01 July 1903, appearing in Bradshaw's as P B PLATFORM for a decade until becoming P B HALT from 1914. It closed 03 May 1965.
 

Bill EWS

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2006
Messages
673
Location
Didcot
I woud have rattled that off the top of my head a few years back. I worked over the two routes as a second man back in th 60's. However, that was along time ago. The St Combs branch was very interesting, even in a DMU, especially passing through the Golf Course when a ball would often bounce off the train. The branch had an atmosphere all of it's own. It would have probably been more successful if it had continued on to Peterhead but as with a few other places, because it was all under the GNSR, they wouldn't join some sections up as it would draw custom away from the main routes.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top