• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Format of TfL staff email addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,658
Location
Merseyside
I wish to contact a specific person working for Transport for London in a department as an Assistant Project Manager. Is there a specific format TfL email addresses follow? I know the chaps first and last name and job title.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lrd

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2010
Messages
3,018
There are at least two formats used by current TfL staff, neither of which I am willing to give out. If you need to contact someone then go via customer services who can point you in the right direction.
 

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Joined
22 Sep 2013
Messages
7,691
I wish to contact a specific person working for Transport for London in a department as an Assistant Project Manager. Is there a specific format TfL email addresses follow? I know the chaps first and last name and job title.

Why not just contact TfL direct and ask them to redirect it ?
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,658
Location
Merseyside
Tried that email format but bounced back. I meet him at an information event for ex forces looking at careers at TfL. Really helpful and genuine. He said to get in touch if anything with him. He had to rush off so all I recall is his name and job title. Not really one for customer services.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
He said to get in touch if anything with him. He had to rush off so all I recall is his name and job title. Not really one for customer services.
I'm sure that the CS team can pass your message on to him.
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
Tried that email format but bounced back. I meet him at an information event for ex forces looking at careers at TfL. Really helpful and genuine. He said to get in touch if anything with him. He had to rush off so all I recall is his name and job title. Not really one for customer services.

Have you tried LinkedIn? It's ok to follow up with a polite message if you've met the person.
 

TheNewNo2

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2015
Messages
1,008
Location
Canary Wharf
Firstnamelastname@tfl.gov.uk. They are a large organisations so some names have a number after them to distinguish between employees with the same name.

It's a bit worse than that. I know someone who is FirstnameLastname2 because she was originally FirstnameLastname but then transferred to JNP so got an @tubelines.com email, and then when we got transferred back to OneLondon they couldn't give her FirstnameLastname because it was already taken - by her!
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
It's a bit worse than that. I know someone who is FirstnameLastname2 because she was originally FirstnameLastname but then transferred to JNP so got an @tubelines.com email, and then when we got transferred back to OneLondon they couldn't give her FirstnameLastname because it was already taken - by her!
Reminds me of a bus forum I can't log on to because my user name is already taken - by myself! I can't contact anyone because I'm not logged on - Catch 22.:smile:
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
Reminds me of a bus forum I can't log on to because my user name is already taken - by myself! I can't contact anyone because I'm not logged on - Catch 22.:smile:

Which one is that? Maybe a friendly member of the admin team can help!
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,658
Location
Merseyside
I've tried Linkedin but can't find him sadly. I could see the message getting lost or sent the wrong place by customer service as its not their usual type of thing to deal with. Thanks for your help though guys!
 

Lrd

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2010
Messages
3,018
Again, there is more than one format of email address. They don't all end in "@tfl.gov.uk". Just go through customer services...
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,145
Location
Redcar
I've tried Linkedin but can't find him sadly. I could see the message getting lost or sent the wrong place by customer service as its not their usual type of thing to deal with. Thanks for your help though guys!

You know the guys name and job title, they can surely forward the message for you. Suggesting they might lose it or send it to the wrong place is also suggesting these people are stupid.

It's often found that if these people want to be contacted directly, their email address will be easy to find and this doesn't seem to be the case here.
 

EssexGonzo

Member
Joined
9 May 2012
Messages
637
Quite why someone would not want to be found is beyond me. Are they really scared of something? And quite why the format of email addresses in a publicly funded organisation is such a big secret is also a mystery, albeit an amusing one. "I know but I won't tell you". Straight from the playground.

Real suggestion for the OP: If you can find one or more switchboard numbers (not necessarily customer services as they will not stray from their narrow script) - for example the front desk of a major building or one of the corporate offices - just call up and ask to be put through. Those operators will normally consult the standard intranet directory and if the person works for the outfit, they'll be listed. Customer Services won't necessarily do that - they'll try to solve your issue rather than follow your instruction.

Obviously if you don't have the required stratospheric security clearance, right handshake or aren't "in the know" you're not worthy enough to speak to a member of staff funded by your fares. :rolleyes:
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
Try firstname.lastname@tfl.gov.uk. If their email system is any good it should filter through to the right person with or without the point or even a number.

The email system is pretty good. Numbers are used to differentiate between people with the same name.

I think the best way is to email Customer Services with contact details at least and let them forward it to the person in question. This goes for any organisation where one wishes to contact someone is a specific role.

Quite why someone would not want to be found is beyond me. Are they really scared of something? And quite why the format of email addresses in a publicly funded organisation is such a big secret is also a mystery, albeit an amusing one. "I know but I won't tell you". Straight from the playground.

Real suggestion for the OP: If you can find one or more switchboard numbers (not necessarily customer services as they will not stray from their narrow script) - for example the front desk of a major building or one of the corporate offices - just call up and ask to be put through. Those operators will normally consult the standard intranet directory and if the person works for the outfit, they'll be listed. Customer Services won't necessarily do that - they'll try to solve your issue rather than follow your instruction.

Obviously if you don't have the required stratospheric security clearance, right handshake or aren't "in the know" you're not worthy enough to speak to a member of staff funded by your fares. :rolleyes:

This is a bit of a diatribe, no? That the organisation is publicly funded is entirely irrelevant - it doesn't mean that all employees' personal data is fair game. I'd never give out somebody's details, even their email address, without their permission.

As for not wanting to be found, there's nothing to suggest this is the case here. Unsolicited emails from strangers is one thing, but if the OP and this person have met then I'm sure that's not applicable.
 
Last edited:

AlexNL

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2014
Messages
1,721
Just contact Customer Services and tell them what you know about the person you're trying to contact. You know name and function, CS should be able to find out who that is and will be able to relay your message.
 

Tom B

Established Member
Joined
27 Jul 2005
Messages
4,680
You needn't confuse the customer service people with your request to your contact - just ring them (020-7222 1234) and ask to be put through, or at least for his department/office where there will be somebody more in the know. A minute or so on Google suggests that 020-7222 5600 is their switchboard, who should be more able to help.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,658
Location
Merseyside
If there is anyone who could look up a person for me and give me their email address, please PM me. Just want to contact an old uni friend who I know is an Assistant Project Manager for TfL.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top