• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forgot to pay a fine and received court papers! NEED HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjparkash11

New Member
Joined
13 Mar 2017
Messages
4
Location
Staffordshire
Hi Guys,

You will have to bare with me on this, This is the first time I have posted.

I was travelling from Tamworth to Milton Keynes, and I left my booklet on the seat next to me with my ticket in. cut a long story short but I was fined and told to pay.

Me being me, I completely forgot to pay and received court papers advised me to either plead guilty or not guilty.

I have these papers and I wish to plead guilty as I was an honest mistake and but rightfully my mistake.

The thing is I have 21 days to reply but, the papers from the court are currently being held at a friends house, where I do not have access to anymore. as there was an altercation there and the police have sectioned the flat off and advised of locks to be changed. I cannot get these paper which is in my bag until the police have finished with there investigation.

I'm not sure how long that will take. so I need to contact the relevant people (the court) to get new papers send out and for me to make my plea before they take it to the next level.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A CONTACT NUMBER, of someone or the courts for me to be in touch and to get this reseolved as quickly as possible?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

soil

Established Member
Joined
28 May 2012
Messages
2,311
Have you tried Google, I'm sure you can find the phone number for your local magistrates court on there.

You can most probably print out the forms online, if you contact the court they can tell you which forms to print.
 

bjparkash11

New Member
Joined
13 Mar 2017
Messages
4
Location
Staffordshire
Have you tried Google, I'm sure you can find the phone number for your local magistrates court on there.

You can most probably print out the forms online, if you contact the court they can tell you which forms to print.
Hi Soil,

Thanks for your reply, I will have a look online. I just didnt no if it was the Magistrates Court or something else.

I'll post a reply with my findings.

Thanks
 

Fare-Cop

Member
Joined
5 Aug 2010
Messages
950
Location
England
If you are intending to plead guilty you really need to be sure what you are pleading guilty to and that will be in the papers that you are referring to.

In particular the Summons, which will identify the specific charge. The papers are actually issued by the Train Operating Company whose staff reported you and the case will have been authorised and listed by the Court.

If you know which train company you were reported by, I would ring that company Customer Services office and explain, asking them to put you in touch with their prosecutor's office urgently.

If you know which Court you are summonsed to appear at so much the better
 
Last edited:

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,660
Location
Merseyside
You would not be issued with a fine at the station. Only a Court can impose a fine. It sounds like you were in fact issued with a Penalty Fare, which is a fare charged at a higher rate (the higher of £20 or twice the Anytime Single fare) when a passenger makes a mistake such as loosing their ticket. As this is has not been paid London Midland have opted to take the matter to court.
 

Fare-Cop

Member
Joined
5 Aug 2010
Messages
950
Location
England
If MKC is involved LM will be the TOC.

Yes, it would be London Midland if you were spoken to on a direct train.

Other possibilities would only apply if you were spoken to at either end station.

Call 0121 634 2040, explain your problem and you may have to give your number and ask for someone from the prosecutor's office to call you back.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,835
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Do VT/GTR ever do revenue protection at MKC? I have never, ever seen them doing so, and I use MKC lots.

OP - Would phone LM in the first instance (thanks Fare-Cop for the number), if it isn't them they'll soon tell you.
 

Fare-Cop

Member
Joined
5 Aug 2010
Messages
950
Location
England
Do VT/GTR ever do revenue protection at MKC? I have never, ever seen them doing so, and I use MKC lots.
.

That is rare in my experience, but is why I mentioned 'other possibilities'.

Had the check been at Tamworth then in addition to LM, CrossCountry could have been a possibility.
 

bjparkash11

New Member
Joined
13 Mar 2017
Messages
4
Location
Staffordshire
Thanks everyone for your replies and help. The Check was done at the Milton Keynes station. I received a penalty notice of £40 which I completely forgot about.

Then received the court papers, in the post. I rang and spoke to London Midlands CS but they gave me another number to the London Midlands Prosecutions department 0121 654 2672 but this number just rings and rings and rings. I will keep trying and hopefully have an update.
 

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2013
Messages
3,170
Don't bother with the Train Companies - speak to the court where the case is listed. They will have details of the charge and will be able to advise what they expect in respect of the missing paperwork.

If you're looking for advice on the charge, please post back when you have that.
 

bjparkash11

New Member
Joined
13 Mar 2017
Messages
4
Location
Staffordshire
Don't bother with the Train Companies - speak to the court where the case is listed. They will have details of the charge and will be able to advise what they expect in respect of the missing paperwork.

If you're looking for advice on the charge, please post back when you have that.

This is exactly what I'm trying to find out, I'm trying to find out what court it is so that I can get new additional paperwork sent to me.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Try Northampton - though I dont have a number for them.
 

Fare-Cop

Member
Joined
5 Aug 2010
Messages
950
Location
England
This is exactly what I'm trying to find out, I'm trying to find out what court it is so that I can get new additional paperwork sent to me.

It is the train operating company who will be able to tell you which Court they listed the matter at.

If the report happened at Milton Keynes you could always call Milton Keynes Magistrates Court on 01908 451145 although the TOC could list in other Courts in the area of jurisdiction.
 
Last edited:

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2013
Messages
3,170
This is exactly what I'm trying to find out, I'm trying to find out what court it is so that I can get new additional paperwork sent to me.

That you were trying to find out which court specifically you needed to contact was not clear from your posts.

You will need to persevere with the TOCs, or try Milton Keynes Mags court as suggested by Fare Cop

I'm supposing that there is no way you can recover the papers from the house. It's unusual for the police to secure a crime scene for an extended period.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top