• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Food court type eating establishments

Status
Not open for further replies.

AY1975

Established Member
Joined
14 Dec 2016
Messages
2,185
There have already been a number of threads on here about various types of eating and drinking establishments such as greasy spoon cafés and fish & chip shops. One type of outlet that I don't think has been discussed on here is food court type places.

These consist of a number of outlets selling different types of food under one roof and one seating area for people consuming food and drink from any of those outlets. They were common in shopping centres, airports and some major railway stations in the late 1980s and 1990s. For example Euston station had one at that time, and so did the Waverley Market shopping centre adjacent to Edinburgh Waverley station.

They are also found in many shopping centres today, and in recent years they have been springing up in many high streets and city centres. For example there is a food court type place called Kommune in Sheffield city centre, which has a number of street food type outlets and a bar so you can get food from one of the food vendors and a drink from the bar to go with it.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RailWonderer

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2018
Messages
2,219
Location
All around the network
I grew up in a place not far from Century City in ZA, which had a giant food court seen here. Only the Trafford centre comes close but both were built funnily enough at the same time. Many great places for fish, meat, fast food with TV showing sports live.
 

Attachments

  • shopping-center-canal-walk-cape-town-western-cape-south-africa-B4Y8D0.jpg
    shopping-center-canal-walk-cape-town-western-cape-south-africa-B4Y8D0.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 318066925_6db1cb9a9b_c.jpg
    318066925_6db1cb9a9b_c.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 6

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,158
Location
Wilmslow
I like the idea in principle, but the implementation in shopping centres had been pretty universally dire, with the food outlets being the same old tired chains. However there are a number of newer places which seem to be about having a choice of food from a variety of (generally) independent and unique vendors with a common seating area, which seems to me to be a good match for an informal meal with one of my fussy friends who can therefore choose to buy and eat something "unexciting" in my world whereas I can get the devilled goat kidneys with frog legs or whatever. So I like the new idea, but I haven't really experimented with it since Covid happened, I need to start getting out more again ......
 

JamesT

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2015
Messages
4,904
I like the idea in principle, but the implementation in shopping centres had been pretty universally dire, with the food outlets being the same old tired chains. However there are a number of newer places which seem to be about having a choice of food from a variety of (generally) independent and unique vendors with a common seating area, which seems to me to be a good match for an informal meal with one of my fussy friends who can therefore choose to buy and eat something "unexciting" in my world whereas I can get the devilled goat kidneys with frog legs or whatever. So I like the new idea, but I haven't really experimented with it since Covid happened, I need to start getting out more again ......
The food court in the revamped Westgate shopping centre in Oxford seems like this newer type, the stands aren't recognisable brands. However it's a bit dingy and tucked away so never seems to be busy. Also the food is extortionately priced, £18 for burger, chips, and a cider.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top