• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FM/DAB radio reception on trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

bicbasher

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2010
Messages
1,839
Location
London
Just wondering what your experiences are attempting to use FM/DAB radio bands on the rail network?

It doesn't seem to be a major problem to get FM and DAB on all NR services within London and FM is fine on Southern and Southeastern. DAB I've tried on the London to Brighton line and is fine within London, then patchy until you get to Preston Park.

On East Coast, FM/DAB were fine until you got outside London, then useless until I got off the train in Peterborough. I now select 1GB of music for the train if I'm going long distance, which is a shame as I'd like to check out local services on my journey.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
I find DAB is a bit patchy on the WCML (it works fine on the XCity once one has left the New St tunnels).

I did manage to listen to a football game on the DAB though.
 

lookapigeon

Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
190
Sotuheastern and Southern are fine for FM, SWT's Desiro trains have a hit and miss; the material of the train/windows seems to reduce the strength of FM radio signals within the carriage.
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
Pendolinos, Voyagers and Meridians seems to block FM/DAB radio.
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,021
My personal DAB receiver didn't work in a pendolino from MK to Euston even though I could see the Hemel transmitter (which broadcasts the DAB for the area) out of the window!

By contrast I had an almost continuous DAB signal for Test Match Special on a HST from Stevenage to Alnmouth in August - it might have gone further but England had won by then so I switched off! Sandy Heath & Peterborough transmitters can be seen from the train window.

ECML is a bit dodgy south of Stevenage due to the the tunnels! Welwyn tunnels cause problems travelling north as it seems to switch from Hemel to Sandy Heath transmitters in that area & Knebworth-Stevenage has a deep cutting, so I often lose signal & have to do a rescan approaching Hitchin unless the batteries are fully charged.

Managed to have FM reception on most of ECML. Long wave is useless on 365s - you just receive the EMU "whine" in your headphones!
 

snail

Established Member
Joined
16 Jun 2011
Messages
1,911
Location
t'North
Pendolinos, Voyagers and Meridians seems to block FM/DAB radio.
Near the vestibule doors is ok, as are some of the seats near the emergency exit windows: I presume these don't have the metal coatings applied.

TPE 185s are fine in my experience for FM and DAB as is any of the Northern stock.
 

MKB

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2008
Messages
666
FM signals have limited coverage, so if, say, you try to listen to radio 2 on a Pendolino, even if you can get a signal, you have to retune about very 15 minutes.

Streaming on a wifi connection is specifically against the t&c's and wifi on a Pendolino is, in my experience, very poor, being down more often than it is up.

The four radio channels that Pendolinos used to broadcast were also unreliable, but actually the least worst of these three possible ways of getting live radio.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top