• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flying Scotsman 22/06/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
A question:

A collage of mine was in York yesterday and was very excited to see the "Flying Scotchman" in steam hauling a train. Was Flying Scotsman out and about yesterday? Did it haul the Scarborough Spa Express or was something else powering that train?

thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adam0984

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2014
Messages
1,213
From uksteam it looks like it was possibly Galatea on the Scarborough Spa Express
 

D1009

Established Member
Joined
22 Feb 2012
Messages
3,166
Location
Stoke Gifford
A question:

A collage of mine was in York yesterday and was very excited to see the "Flying Scotchman" in steam hauling a train. Was Flying Scotsman out and about yesterday? Did it haul the Scarborough Spa Express or was something else powering that train?

thanks!
Scotsman's next rostered duty is the Scarborough Flyer from Scarborough to Kings Cross tomorrow.
 

Scarborough RS

New Member
Joined
23 Jun 2017
Messages
1
Location
Scarborough
The DAVE TEAM at the NRM were cleaning 60103 for a private trip on Thursday that was cancelled due to dry weather. PM GALATEA was moved from the prep bay alongside in steam it may have looked as if Scotsman was in steam. Due to leave Scarborough at 08:10 Saturday Scarborough to Kings Cross via Lincoln
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,904
I can certainly confirm 45699 Galatea hauled that service with 37669 at the rear. I was on 1N81 and we passed it just south of York, it arrived into Platform 5 about 20 minutes afterwards..

Incidentally, OT, the 37 on the back said ETH index 0, I thought they were there to do that job.
 

daikilo

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2010
Messages
1,623
I can certainly confirm 45699 Galatea hauled that service with 37669 at the rear. I was on 1N81 and we passed it just south of York, it arrived into Platform 5 about 20 minutes afterwards..

Incidentally, OT, the 37 on the back said ETH index 0, I thought they were there to do that job.

Not neccessarily, the rear locomotive may be there for several reasons including simply a rescue unit. The 37/6s do not have ETH/ETS, but are wired to transmit ETH, as far as I am aware.
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,904
There was a driver in it, and another member of crew and it was running (though that doesn't mean much of course)
 

TimboM

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2016
Messages
3,734
There was a driver in it, and another member of crew and it was running (though that doesn't mean much of course)

37669 regularly hauls passenger workings and was one of two (along with 668) installed with ERTMS/ETCS last year for operation west of Sutton Bridge Junction and Shrewsbury on the Cambrian Line in Wales.

I would be a bit surprised therefore if it doesn't have ETS/ETH capability? It's classed as a 37/5 I think if that makes any difference?
 
Last edited:

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
30 Jun 2005
Messages
8,874
Location
Rugby
Only 37/4s have ETH. The 37 in this case was partly there because of the fire risk.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,946
Location
Devon
Only 37/4s have ETH. The 37 in this case was partly there because of the fire risk.

And also I don't think any 37s are through wired for ETS? As Matt says only the 37/4s had ETS.
31/4s also had ETS (ETH) and I think maybe 31/6s were through wired for ETS. Is that right does anyone know?

Edit - Don't most steam railtours have generator coaches for heating now? Would they run without them this time of year?
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top