Another pic here - doesn't look good.
![]()
I thought Delay Repay didnt apply if it wasn't the railways fault.
(I'm probably completely making that up but I'm sure I read it somewhere)
Absolutely zero. A service was available, they care not how much sleep you would have had.I'm a Gold Card holder between East Croydon and Portslade and by 6-7pm last night, I had to make a decision whether to stop down on the South Coast as I suspected it would take the best part of three hours then had to be in at 9am this morning. In the end, I stumped up for a hotel and a change of clothes, I'm tempted to chance my arm and try and claim some of it back off Southern (about £75 all in), what do people think my chances of success are?
As a commuter on the Uckfield Line I have been trying to work out how come it was our line that was worse affected by this landslide especially as you'd have thought the diesels would be better at getting through it! However appears to be due to the lines affected.
It does however give rise to the question as to how they got the trains in to run the shuttles between Sanderstead and East grinstead and Uckfield and Oxted.
Although I have to say I think Southern have done well to lay on alternative services (bus etc) Its very annoying that their email service didnt give any clue there was a problem until 17.45 yesterday, and in both rush hours today was reporting no disruption on the Uckfield line! Guess a bus replacement service is not disruption!
As a commuter on the Uckfield Line I have been trying to work out how come it was our line that was worse affected by this landslide especially as you'd have thought the diesels would be better at getting through it! However appears to be due to the lines affected.
With even the 8 car getting full I do wonder why Southern do not run a few more 10/12 car units. Is it simply down to an absence of rolling stock?
The slow lines/lines towards Oxted were affected the most as they were obviously closest to the embankment and services cant get from the fast lines onto the Oxted lines, so thats why there were shuttles. Never knew trains could turn back at Sanderstead though.
Never knew trains could turn back at Sanderstead though.
Strangely, there's also still a (working and permanently showing 2 reds) ground position light at Selsdon Jct protecting access from the old Selsdon to Woodside line onto the down East Grinstead, even though the track has been severed and the pointwork removed.
That picture looks like it's going to be one hell of a job to clear up.
Bloody hell, that's some good work. Just need to keep an eye on that bank and hope no crap in the ballast layer causes a nice big wet bed in time.
Bloody hell, that's some good work. Just need to keep an eye on that bank and hope no crap in the ballast layer causes a nice big wet bed in time.
Oh there's still plenty of crap in the ballast layer! The affected lines still look like a sandy beach. Any idea how NR would deal with this Hydro? Just wait for rainfall to wash the fines through? Or clean the ballast somehow?
Zero disruption this morning, as Southern said, full timetable and my services and all services I could see at ECR were running On Time (well as on time as they ever do) and with normal length formations