• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flooding at South Croydon - lines blocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,021
Seen on FCC website:

No trains between East Croydon and Purley / Oxted until further notice

Flooding, caused by a burst water main, is causing disruption at South Croydon.

Because of this, journeys may be delayed by up to 90 minutes. The following will apply until further notice:

First Capital Connect

* Trains between Bedford / Luton and Brighton are suspended between London Blackfriars and Gatwick Airport.
* A half-hourly train service will run between Gatwick Airport and Brighton
* Customers should use bus services provided by Southern between East Croydon and Three Bridges, but these buses will not call at Gatwick Airport (tickets marked as 'FCC Only' will be accepted on Southern buses and trains).


Southern

Rail replacement buses are operating between East Croydon and Three Bridges, between Oxted and East Croydon, between Redhill and Oxted and between Purley and East Croydon.

Shuttle buses are also operating between Uckfield and Haywards Heath.

* Trains between London and Brighton / Ore / Littlehampton will not run between East Croydon and Gatwick Airport, or between East Croydon and Oxted.
* Trains to and from Caterham / Tatternham Corner are only running to and from Purley.
* A limited train service is running between:
- Brighton and Gatwick Airport
- Uckfield and Oxted
- Sanderstead and Oxted
- Purley and Redhill / Three Bridges
* Buses are running between:
- East Croydon, Purley, Redhill, Gatwick Airport and Three Bridges
- East Croydon and Oxted
* Additional bus services are also running between:
- Redhill and Oxted
- Haywards Heath and Uckfield.


Gatwick Express

* Gatwick Express services are suspended.


Ticket Acceptance

Southern, First Capital Connect and Gatwick Express customers may use each others services, and also Southeastern, South West Trains, London Buses, Croydon Tramlink and London Underground services on all reasonable routes.

To find out whether this will impact your journey and to get alternative options planned for you, please use the National Rail Enquiries real-time Journey Planner, or call TrainTracker on 0871 200 49 50.

For the latest rail travel news, why not follow National Rail Enquiries on Twitter, or find us on Facebook.
Last updated: 01 Aug 2011 12:50:37
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Evvy73

Member
Joined
13 Feb 2009
Messages
151
Location
Mid-Sussex
My Commute is (usually!) London Bridge to Wivelsfield. The Twitter feed suggests I travel on SWT from Waterloo to Guildford, then get the FGW train from Guildford to Gatwick via Redhill.

Does anyone know what the 'rules' are with regards to alternate routes when this sort of thing happens? I was thinking I might try Cannon St (working very near Cannon St as I do) to Tonbridge, then Tonbridge to Redhill, then Redhill southwards, but I don't want to do this if I am going end up with a fine or in some other sort of trouble - I think the journey home could be stressful enough! :|
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
My Commute is (usually!) London Bridge to Wivelsfield. The Twitter feed suggests I travel on SWT from Waterloo to Guildford, then get the FGW train from Guildford to Gatwick via Redhill.

Does anyone know what the 'rules' are with regards to alternate routes when this sort of thing happens? I was thinking I might try Cannon St (working very near Cannon St as I do) to Tonbridge, then Tonbridge to Redhill, then Redhill southwards, but I don't want to do this if I am going end up with a fine or in some other sort of trouble - I think the journey home could be stressful enough! :|

Isn't it usually "Any reasonable route"?
 

Evvy73

Member
Joined
13 Feb 2009
Messages
151
Location
Mid-Sussex
Isn't it usually "Any reasonable route"?

Sure, but on a normal day I wouldn't expect either of the suggested routes to be classed as "reasonable route" - I just wondered if there were some set rules when this sort of 'crisis' occurs or if I should be fine if I can tell the guard/ticket inspector exactly what my plans are, and it is clear I am not taking the mickey.
 

NSE

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2010
Messages
1,919
My Commute is (usually!) London Bridge to Wivelsfield. The Twitter feed suggests I travel on SWT from Waterloo to Guildford, then get the FGW train from Guildford to Gatwick via Redhill.

Does anyone know what the 'rules' are with regards to alternate routes when this sort of thing happens? I was thinking I might try Cannon St (working very near Cannon St as I do) to Tonbridge, then Tonbridge to Redhill, then Redhill southwards, but I don't want to do this if I am going end up with a fine or in some other sort of trouble - I think the journey home could be stressful enough! :|

If the Twitter feed suggests via Guildford, then the SouthEastern route sounds just as feasible, i.e. its no further out of your way, just in the opposite direction. I couldn't say for sure, but if I was in your situation I'd do it.
 

class377man

Member
Joined
7 Jan 2009
Messages
224
The rules generally go out of the window went something like this happens. I think your route is reasonable enough.

Speak to the guard at Cannon Street before the train leaves for peace of mind if you like.
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,021
FCC website currently says:

Ticket Acceptance

Southern, First Capital Connect and Gatwick Express customers may use each others services, and also Southeastern, South West Trains, First Great Western, London Midland, London Buses, Croydon Tramlink and London Underground services on all reasonable routes.
 

Evvy73

Member
Joined
13 Feb 2009
Messages
151
Location
Mid-Sussex
Another pic here - doesn't look good.

1705.JPG
 

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,561
Location
Somewhere
How long before the line is back in action do people think?

Will I have trouble tomorrow morning?

The last I heard a train plan was being formulated for tommorow morning which suggests to me to expect at least some disruption.
 

djh1986

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
99
Any ideas how to get from Brighton to East Croydon tonight?

Head over to Havant or Hastings?
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,306
Any ideas how to get from Brighton to East Croydon tonight?

Head over to Havant or Hastings?

The latest advice on SN's website front page, for journeys to from the 'Coastways':
Passengers to the south coast from London are advised to travel on South West Trains from London Waterloo via Havant for West Coastway stations, and with Southeastern from Charing Cross via Hastings for East Coastway stations.

Passengers for London from the south coast are advised to make the same connections in reverse.

Is Brighton on both East and West coastway routes - if so you should be OK?
 

djh1986

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
99
The East and West coastway's officially start at Brighton.

Tempted to buy a few essentials and crash at a friends or a hotel though, back in work at Portslade at 9am tomorrow.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,937
Location
UK
Sure, but on a normal day I wouldn't expect either of the suggested routes to be classed as "reasonable route" - I just wondered if there were some set rules when this sort of 'crisis' occurs or if I should be fine if I can tell the guard/ticket inspector exactly what my plans are, and it is clear I am not taking the mickey.

I think if you argue enough then you'll be okay. I've had problems where there were major problems on the ECML in the morning (i.e. total shutdown), so I drove to St Albans and went from there. By the evening going home, they told me the ECML was running and so I had no reason to go there - besides the fact my car was there and not Hatfield - so I had to be quite firm with them and they tutted and let me out.

I'd have loved to get a PF for that, but common sense prevailed - especially given I had paid for a day of parking I wouldn't have needed if I'd gone from Hatfield (bus or walking).
 
Joined
18 Apr 2009
Messages
193
Location
South East
Passengers who need to travel south of East Croydon from London are advised NOT to travel from London Victoria, but to travel on South West Trains from London Waterloo via Havant for West Sussex stations, and on Southeastern trains from Charing Cross via Hastings for East Sussex stations.

Surprised there's no mention of the link to Horsham via Sutton and Dorking - or has this suffered knock on delays?
 

pendolino

Member
Joined
22 Nov 2010
Messages
737
Surprised there's no mention of the link to Horsham via Sutton and Dorking - or has this suffered knock on delays?

There was a London Bridge to West Croydon via Tulse Hill shown as running nonstop earlier, suggesting the delays are affecting everything, due to traincrew and rolling stock being out of place.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,306
Surprised there's no mention of the link to Horsham via Sutton and Dorking - or has this suffered knock on delays?

I think there'll probably be enough knowledgeable passengers who are already aware of that possibility to overwhelm the trains without SN recommending it, so maybe advising longer distance passengers to use SWT/SE does makes a certain amount of sense.

I wonder if they'll strengthen any services running along the coast if the stock isn't all out of position?
 

class377man

Member
Joined
7 Jan 2009
Messages
224
Don't take my word for it as only what I've heard, but there is apparently an emergency timetable coming into effect including the Vic-Bognor's running nonstop Clapham to Horsham (travelling via Dorking) and the London Bridge-Eastbourne running via Orpington and Hastings.

Edit: The London Bridge-Bognor is going via Dorking as well.
 

thefab444

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2006
Messages
3,688
Location
The New Forest
There is now disruption on the Tonbridge - Hastings line, ironically due to a lineside fire. Not good news for people trying the alternative routes. :|
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Now also hearing that the RRS buses are getting stuck because of the increased road traffic. With any luck, this'll cause Croydon to collapse into a black hole.
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
Do you reckon you could get away with getting to Eastbourne or Hastings via HS1 to Ashford?
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
looks like gatwick express operated by southern :) are running 15min shuttle's ecr-vic
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also delays via wimbeldon too.. not looking good
 

Southern313

Member
Joined
29 Mar 2011
Messages
91
The majority of Coastway West services have been running quite well with delays of up to 10 minutes. Generally this has been where the crew have coast work only diagrams avoiding going elsewhere.

The Horsham - Dorking route is being used where possible however this has limitations on pathway's and the availability of crew that actually sign the route.

42 rail replacement buses were being used at one point on various route's. Majority of which were running non-stop from Three Bridges to East Croydon but due to the volume of traffic on the M23 these were also enduring 90 minute delays.

Providing the water drains and there is no significant damage an emergency timetable will be in operation tomorrow on the FAST lines only. The slow lines and Oxted/E Grinstead services are very unlikely to run tomorrow throughout.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top