In the quantities it's been falling out of the sky over the past year...? Crazy!! The problem is not as simply as pumping out the ground water. We need to stop building on existing flood plains and provide places for flood water to go to when it can't drain away quickly enough.
O L Leigh
I remember in late 2000 when there was the combination of post Hatfield 20 mph TSRs and flooding blocking the line between Taunton and Exeter.Similarly Exeter has wide flood channels either side of the city centre and the section through the centre is the old port was so is much wider, where the river narrows again (and ships headed down the canal) there is a large grass channel to take the excess away from the built up areas...
Sounds like a repeat of 2000 then. It was my undersanding that work had been done to prevent a reccurence so this weather must have been even more extreme.I've just got home after a rail replacement ride back home from Exeter, Cowley Bridge junction is completely underwater, don't expect north bound trains out of Exeter for a while.
Sounds like a repeat of 2000 then. It was my undersanding that work had been done to prevent a reccurence so this weather must have been even more extreme.
I thought the sleeper called at Taunton?Where do you stand on a day like this if you are able to make half of a return journey but due to cancellations your are unable to return? Back in 2002 I had to go from Taunton to Newton Abbot on a day where services had been severely disrupted to to weather. The outward journey was delayed by a few hours and I had planned to return on the last train of the day but when I arrived back at Newton Abbot station this had been cancelled. The platform staff just told me "We are advising people not to travel, We can't offer a service today" so I ended up paying to get the sleeper to Paddington and then returning to Taunton via Bristol early the next day rather than sit on the platform all night at Newton Abbot.
Not on Sunday into Monday. I've edited the post to clarify. It was frustrating as it actually went through Taunton and even stopped at Bristol (I believe Bristol was a booked passenger stop back then on weekdays but not Sunday into Monday). The first passenger stop after leaving Exeter though was Reading.I thought the sleeper called at Taunton?
Incident on the GEML at Goodmayes at around 6.45PM - looks like a person hit by train but the line was closed for nearly 2 hours for an investigation - without going into details, what happened ?
Xc con today!! Took the 12.15 southampton central to Stafford (Bournemouth to man pic) and it was severely delayed at reading. They took us to didcot parkway and said that it was not going anywhere and best advice is travel back to reading or into London for north services. As I arrived in reading the delayed 13.15 southampton to Stafford (Bournemouth to man pic) was just about to depart. I asked the guard will this train run to Oxford ( as it was reading to Oxford that was flooding) and he said yes.. And it did!! So why was the 12.15 adamant it couldn't go further than didcot? Was this because they were just so delayed they didn't wanna go further ie keep the train south so it could return to Bournemouth on time?? Disgraceful
Xc con today!! Took the 12.15 southampton central to Stafford (Bournemouth to man pic) and it was severely delayed at reading. They took us to didcot parkway and said that it was not going anywhere and best advice is travel back to reading or into London for north services. As I arrived in reading the delayed 13.15 southampton to Stafford (Bournemouth to man pic) was just about to depart. I asked the guard will this train run to Oxford ( as it was reading to Oxford that was flooding) and he said yes.. And it did!! So why was the 12.15 adamant it couldn't go further than didcot? Was this because they were just so delayed they didn't wanna go further ie keep the train south so it could return to Bournemouth on time?? Disgraceful
I've just got home after a rail replacement ride back home from Exeter, Cowley Bridge junction is completely underwater, don't expect north bound trains out of Exeter for a while. To be honest the bus ride was more comfortable than the 143 pacer is was on!
Cowley area between Taunton and Exeter:
![]()