• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flights at random minutes past the hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
Having booked a recent flight in the USA I noted the flight as per the airline will be departing at “1:07 PM” (also note use of the 12-hour clock), and the flight time is 2 hours and 8 minutes.

Most other countries flights seem to be advertised as at :x0 or :x5. Although I was watching a 1990s video on YouTube the other day of Airline and there was an EasyJet flight departing at a random time too.

Does anyone know why this is done in the USA and is it common practice anywhere else?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

joncombe

Member
Joined
6 Nov 2016
Messages
869
You also see it in parts of Norway for Wideroe when serving some of the small airports where flights are only on the ground for a few minutes at a time and they can stop half a dozen or so times.
 

EC Traveller

Member
Joined
28 May 2019
Messages
14
Location
Mainly up and down
From the US recently, I also noted some odd dep. times. I concluded at the time these were 'centre times' of 15' take-off slots being xx:07 and xx:52 etc.
There is always the other possibilty of deferentiating flights as a few may be booked the same 15' slots, so not to sound like a nearby (in time) flight.

With frequent delays it doesn't seem to matter what they write !

- But I usually travel by rail.
 

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2014
Messages
2,964
Does anyone know why this is done in the USA and is it common practice anywhere else?

I've seen the same and wondered exactly the same thing. I thought originally that it was simply overcrowded airports, but the same thing is found in tiny regional airports with a handful of flights too.

Maybe it's just an FAA regulation there that the slot is to the minute rather than to 5 minutes? It is incredibly jarring, though.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top