I've noticed that flexi season tickets, which give 8 days travel within 28 days are not a great deal, at least on the Northampton to Euston route I'm looking at in terms of commuting.
A anytime day return is £79.30.
A flexi season ticket is £555.10
A annual season ticket is £7352.00
£79.30 x 8 is £634.40, so getting the flexi ticket saves £79.30 over buying 8 individual anytime day returns. I thought the discount would be larger, but I guess this discount is about as generous as can be expected.
Getting the flexi ticket year round, i.e. £555.10 x 13 (as 52/4=13) would come to £7216.30, which compared to the annual season ticket looks like really bad value, as you're only saving £135.70 in exchange for only being able to travel 2 days each week on average with the flexi, rather than being able to travel flexibly 7 days a week with the annual.
Of course most people probably wouldn't get 13 flexi tickets a year due to holidays, but still the value looks bad compared to the year season ticket if you got 12 flexi's (£6661.2).
The value proposition is even worse when considering railcards for those who can use them, as the anytime day return with railcard discount is £52.80, so 8 of those would be £422.4. Railcards can't be applied to the flexi ticket, so buying individual tickets here is definitely cheaper, and the cost of even a 3 year railcard would pay for itself within 1 month.
In conclusion, I think the flexi ticket should be cheaper, as it's not much cheaper than buying day returns or a year season ticket. Is the situation much different in other parts of the country? I appreciate that part of the selling point is that it's easier to pay £555 rather than £7k upfront.
A anytime day return is £79.30.
A flexi season ticket is £555.10
A annual season ticket is £7352.00
£79.30 x 8 is £634.40, so getting the flexi ticket saves £79.30 over buying 8 individual anytime day returns. I thought the discount would be larger, but I guess this discount is about as generous as can be expected.
Getting the flexi ticket year round, i.e. £555.10 x 13 (as 52/4=13) would come to £7216.30, which compared to the annual season ticket looks like really bad value, as you're only saving £135.70 in exchange for only being able to travel 2 days each week on average with the flexi, rather than being able to travel flexibly 7 days a week with the annual.
Of course most people probably wouldn't get 13 flexi tickets a year due to holidays, but still the value looks bad compared to the year season ticket if you got 12 flexi's (£6661.2).
The value proposition is even worse when considering railcards for those who can use them, as the anytime day return with railcard discount is £52.80, so 8 of those would be £422.4. Railcards can't be applied to the flexi ticket, so buying individual tickets here is definitely cheaper, and the cost of even a 3 year railcard would pay for itself within 1 month.
In conclusion, I think the flexi ticket should be cheaper, as it's not much cheaper than buying day returns or a year season ticket. Is the situation much different in other parts of the country? I appreciate that part of the selling point is that it's easier to pay £555 rather than £7k upfront.