If I was Tim O'Toole I'd probably say that I was considering all the options and imply that I had the lawyers champing at the bit, but I'm not sure what I'd say if someone asked me what the lawyers might be going to do. The process to relet the West Coast franchise has failed. First might try to sue the DfT for the loss of profits that they might have made if the DfT hadn't decided to abandon the process. But they could do that regardless of who actually runs the route from December 9. Somebody has to run it. Some people favour Virgin, others favour DOR. I don't see what legal action could be triggered if DfT comes to an arrangement with Virgin, which First couldn't have started otherwise.
Unless, perhaps, they argue that the process by which the DfT came to such an arrangement was flawed, etc.
It'll be interesting to see how far First get with any legal action they're considering. The contract hadn't been signed (although the outcome had been announced) so there isn't a breach of contract. The SoS has stated that costs incurred from submitting a bid will be refunded - so technically First will be back in the position they were before the bid process commenced, which means First will have to demonstrate some loss arising from the SoS's decision to cancel the contract - which could be interesting.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Isn't the livery after December 9th relevant to the thread? I'd be afraid to start a separate thread about that because people would tell me not to do two threads on the same topic.
It's relevant - but unimportant in the greater scheme of things. There are much more important questions out there at present.
As we all know, rolling out a new livery over a fleet usually takes many months, so any new liveries unveiled on 9th Dec (or thereabouts) would only be one or two sets.
I'm not sure it would be prompting any conversation if Virgin had won, but stated they were unveiling a new livery.