I'm not sure I'd agree with that.
I wonder if the problem here might be that you've both come across DSDs in different types of trains? I can quite easily believe that the DSD in a 185 have a different feel to the DSD in say a 142.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that.
Isn't amazing that every train,cinema,plane etc. always has a doctor handy or so it seems.
The NHS is the largest single employer in the world, so the odds are not too bad.
I wonder if the problem here might be that you've both come across DSDs in different types of trains? I can quite easily believe that the DSD in a 185 have a different feel to the DSD in say a 142.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that.
You're not a driver, though. (Neither am I, but I've at least driven something and sat in the drivers seat of a few more)
Well seeing as we don't know what happened on board (beyond a passenger providing medical assistance) I'm not sure we can comment very far on what happened. We still don't even know if the train was stopped by the driver or one of the safety systems!
It would be even worse on say a 91+Mk4 service seeing as there's no link at all between the 91 and the Mk4s. Is a driver having a medical emergency a good enough reason to take a passenger track side and then on into the locomotive assuming that it's fairly safe to do so?
We can assume, quite safely, that the Guard was involved. Or did there just helpfully happen to be a psychic passenger carrying a T-key on board?!
Well obviously the guard was involved (when's the last time you came across a psychic, let alone one wielding a T-key)! My point was purely to say let's not let ourselves run away with this incident until more information had come to light.
Also when I made that comment all we had to go on was the OPs news story which was pretty light on information beyond what had happened to the driver![]()
1. Good argument AGAINST passenger DOO
Isn't amazing that every train,cinema,plane etc. always has a doctor handy or so it seems.
Can you explain why?
That's just my view on the situation, I am probably wrong & apologise.
On a single track line would a second train approaching at caution be used?
I agree that it is very bad taste to use an incident like this to support one's views on DOO when the full facts of the incident are not known. I note that the RMT who are strongly anti DOO recognize this and have maintained a dignified silence.
Will the RAIB be investigating this incident as a potentially dangerous occurrence - or will it not meet their criteria?
On a related note, SWT sadly lost one of their more respected Guards' managers yesterday, the chap had a heart attack whilst on holiday and didn't pull through. He was, I'm told, 38. Frightening stuff![]()