• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

first scheduled production HST service 1976

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard5608

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2013
Messages
52
What was the first HST scheduled diagrams in August 76
I know the 4th October was the main start date but I believe some services operated in august 1976 onwards
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
What was the first HST scheduled diagrams in August 76
I know the 4th October was the main start date but I believe some services operated in august 1976 onwards

9th August 1976 was the date I saw quoted a few years ago, but I'm unsure what exactly the first train was.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've now found the thread relating to 09/08/76, and it's at http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=104262
 

CatfordCat

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2013
Messages
639
I think there was some sort of public trial service at fares less than standard during summer 1976

I'm aware that my family (I think it was a group thing organised by some of parents' colleagues) did a day trip from Paddington to Bristol by HST when they were very new.

Memory of this is somewhat vague - it was 40 years ago and I was quite little at the time...
 

Commoner

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
76
What was the first HST scheduled diagrams in August 76
I know the 4th October was the main start date but I believe some services operated in august 1976 onwards

From 09.08.76 two diagrams were introduced for St Philips Marsh based sets, running to existing 100mph schedules.

M-F 09.30 BTM-Padd/12.15-BTM/15.15-Padd/17.33-BTM
M-F 08.02 WSM-Padd/11.45-BTM/15.30-Padd/18.12-Taunton/ecs-WSM/22.34-BTM

SO 07.30 WSM-Padd/10.45 Padd/13.47 WSM/17.15-BTM
SO 09.30 BTM-Padd/12.15-BTM

SUN 16.15 BTM-Padd/19.45-BTM
SUN 15.45 BTM-Padd/18.45-BTM

Hope this helps. Kevin (Commoner)
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
That's interesting info Kevin, details of the first workings appear to be quite sketchy. Do you know which sets entered traffic on 09/08/76? I saw 253001 was mentioned in the other thread, was it formed with its correct power cars (002/003)?
 

Commoner

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
76
That's interesting info Kevin, details of the first workings appear to be quite sketchy. Do you know which sets entered traffic on 09/08/76? I saw 253001 was mentioned in the other thread, was it formed with its correct power cars (002/003)?

253 001 formed 43003/2, 41003/4, 40001, 42029/03/04/05.
253 003 formed 43007/6, 41007/8, 40003, 42009/33/34/35.
253 005 formed 43012/10, 41011/12, 40002, 42027/15/16/17.

No TRUKs delivered by this date. 40005 not available for traffic. 43011 awaiting Works (collision damage). 42010/11 in bogie test train, yet to enter WR stock.

3 sets were formed to cover the diagrams, 2 for traffic, 1 standby. 253 001/3 in traffic on first day.
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,321
Did the prototype HST not perform some timetabled daily runs before the production units started to be delivered. The public timings were to established times so a loco-hauled substitution could be made if required.

I vaguely recall it did two round trips from Bristol TM to Paddington, starting at around 7 am and finishing about 8 pm, but the unit was actually based at Old Oak Common, from where it left ECS at 4 am and got back late evening, so was a real mileage-builder. This got to the attention of a journalist in the general press, who wrote about the empty running as "a typical piece of BR inefficiency" :roll:
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
Did the prototype HST not perform some timetabled daily runs before the production units started to be delivered. The public timings were to established times so a loco-hauled substitution could be made if required.

Yes it did - I have one friend who rode on it in service, and another who saw it at Reading going into Paddington, he didn't get on as he was hoping for a Western on the service behind it. He wasn't impressed when a 47 rolled in, and even now still curses having not got on the prototype HST!
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,980
Location
Airedale
Did the prototype HST not perform some timetabled daily runs before the production units started to be delivered. The public timings were to established times so a loco-hauled substitution could be made if required.

I vaguely recall it did two round trips from Bristol TM to Paddington, starting at around 7 am and finishing about 8 pm, but the unit was actually based at Old Oak Common, from where it left ECS at 4 am and got back late evening, so was a real mileage-builder. This got to the attention of a journalist in the general press, who wrote about the empty running as "a typical piece of BR inefficiency" :roll:

Sometime in the Easter 1975 vacation I travelled from Barnstaple to Oxford via Axminster (bus), Bridport (closure was imminent) and Bath (to check out the HST). I can't find my notes, but the Weymouth to Bristol was the long-standing 1600-ish departure, and 18.30 Temple Meads to London would make sense (obviously a different diagram then!).
My principal memory is buying a steak pie from the hot buffet which, when I got back to my seat, turned out to have been overdone to rock-solid. Microwave cookery was a novelty back then. ISTR there wasn't time for another before Didcot, so I presume I had a refund.
 

Commoner

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
76
Did the prototype HST not perform some timetabled daily runs before the production units started to be delivered. The public timings were to established times so a loco-hauled substitution could be made if required.

I vaguely recall it did two round trips from Bristol TM to Paddington, starting at around 7 am and finishing about 8 pm, but the unit was actually based at Old Oak Common, from where it left ECS at 4 am and got back late evening, so was a real mileage-builder. This got to the attention of a journalist in the general press, who wrote about the empty running as "a typical piece of BR inefficiency" :roll:

Sometime in the Easter 1975 vacation I travelled from Barnstaple to Oxford via Axminster (bus), Bridport (closure was imminent) and Bath (to check out the HST). I can't find my notes, but the Weymouth to Bristol was the long-standing 1600-ish departure, and 18.30 Temple Meads to London would make sense (obviously a different diagram then!).
My principal memory is buying a steak pie from the hot buffet which, when I got back to my seat, turned out to have been overdone to rock-solid. Microwave cookery was a novelty back then. ISTR there wasn't time for another before Didcot, so I presume I had a refund.

Introduced on 05.05.75 the initial Prototype HST diagram was M-F
03.30 OOC-Bristol Parkway/07.45-Padd/10.15-WSM/13.48-Padd/16.45-BTM/19.55 Malago Vale-OOC.

SO 04.35 OOC-WSM/07.57-Padd/11.45-BTM/15.30-Padd/18.45-BTM/22.10 Malago Vale-OOC

From 06.10.75 the working was altered to M-F
04.20 OOC-Swindon/06.25-OOC/OOC-Padd/09.00-Swansea/12.52-Padd/16.45-BTM/19.15-Padd/-OOC

The Saturday working was booked for 09.00 Padd-Swan/12.52-Padd, but was withdrawn to allow more maintenance time for the set. Additionally, the set spent most of October 75 in Works. It re-entered service in the first week of November 1975.

I wondered whether your trip 30907 was spring 1976, as your recollection seems to fit more closely to October 75 diagram?
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,321
Thank you Commoner. I'm more than a little surprised that the detail has stuck in my head for the last 40 years, given I was in no way connected with it and didn't ride on it, just came from reading a paragraph in Modern Railways at the time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top