• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First rolling stock you can remember travelling on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,945
Location
Mold, Clwyd
The MSJ&A 1931 1.5kV DC OHL electrics used between Manchester and Altrincham, sometime in the early 50s.
Also the steam stock used with tank engines on the Warrington BQ-Lymm-Timperley service (usually had to change to electric there).
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
1,450
Either R or CO/CP Stock on the District line. Unrefurbished Class 302 on the LTSR
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
Merseyrail's Class 507s/508s and the Class 321s on services to and from Northampton.
 

ashworth

Established Member
Joined
10 Sep 2008
Messages
1,285
Location
Notts
Mk1s and a BR standard tank I think in the mid-late 1960s. Nottingham to Stanton Gate and Trowell.

Probably almost the same for me from what I remember. It was on the Nottingham to Mansfield and Worksop line in the final few years before closure in 1964. Fortunately the line reopened again as the Robin Hood Line in the 1990’s.
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
Some variety of first gen DMU from either West Allerton to Lime Street in the late 70's. The first specific train I remember was hauled by 87004 from Lime Street to Euston around a similar time.
 

Buggleskelly

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2017
Messages
93
Location
Bishops Wallop
First train I remember travelling on was either a 309, 310 or 312 going to Liverpool Street from Romford around 1986. All I know is that it was a slam door unit.
 

DasLunatic

Member
Joined
11 May 2015
Messages
696
This speaks more of my age than anything...
LU 1996 Stock - on my first trip to London when I was around five or six
 

Marklund

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2010
Messages
827
An EMU to Cheam. Probably an EPB. I remember the seats with the hat racks above rather than the train.
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,173
Location
Elginshire
Mid- to late-seventies is as far back as I can remember. Corridor Mk1 stock, early Mk2 and usually Mk2 aircon on the Clansman heading south from Inverness. Haulage, as far as I remember, was Class 27 and 47. The class 120(?) DMUs were running Inverness to Aberdeen around that time as well, but I have no real recollection of them.
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
455s between Waterloo and Stoneleigh. Which is a little odd, as to get there I'd have come down from Inverness by train
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,326
Earliest memory seems to be the view from a Corridor Second on Bristol-Taunton. Watching the telegraph wires rise and fall between each post. It was one of the fastest stretches of the Western Region, and with a Castle on the front the through trains from the North we were on, doubtless handed over late by the LMR, would be pushing 90mph (which discussions with Taunton enginemen much, much later confirmed). My mother would say about every five minutes that we were going "lickety split".
 

PeterC

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
4,786
I can remember seeing a Metropolitan locomotive in the bay platform at Liverpool Street and as a very young child being frightened by the steam from a loco at Paddington but can't remember the actual journeys. The first recolection that I can pin down to a specific type of stock is a class 306 but not sure if it was just before or just after the transition from DC to AC.
 

LiftFan

Member
Joined
27 May 2016
Messages
369
My first memory of a train was a Wessex Trains Class 150, although I've got another early memory of a 158 or 159 to Waterloo from Salisbury which gave my mum a scare as my sister got on, the doors shut and locked as the train split before opening again! First LU stock I can remember was 1996 stock.
 

30909

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2012
Messages
293
6 September 1952 a 5th birthday treat, as much for my father as for me, by train from Reigate to the North Camp for Farnborough Airshow. Loco probably an ex SECR DI 4-4-0 or an Ex LSWR T9 4-4-0 with SECR Birdcage 3 carriage set with an addition of an ex boat train "family saloon" with side on seats in the centre section. Why do I remember such detail? See this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1952_Farnborough_Airshow_crash We both were very lucky to survive uninjured.
 

MG11

Member
Joined
4 Nov 2017
Messages
638
My first one was a Class 142, it had bright orange wall panelling! It seemed old fashioned even then. Then I remember a Class 153, I recall specifically a bright orange trim around the tables, it must have heen around 1998/99, so one of the last to be un-refurbished. Then I remember the Virgin XC HSTs and the yellow/orange rubbery vestibules always reminded me of those fire kit bags that firefighters wore on their backs at the time. Then when TPE 158s got refurbished in to the faux wood panelling, they seemed so modern!
 

keith1879

Member
Joined
1 Jun 2015
Messages
393
Can definitely remember class 302 LT&S EMUs when on trial on the Clacton and Walton line in 1959 or 1960 but I know that I had been on steam hauled trains before then.
 

47271

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2015
Messages
2,983
I've mentioned this before.

A broken down push pull set between Edinburgh and Glasgow, something that happened constantly at the time. I think it was at Newbridge that it flaked out.

So my very first railway memory includes a man saying 'this is due to a fault in the locomotive'.

I've also been informed by my dad that I accidentally travelled on the very first HST to run in passenger service between Aberdeen and Inverness, a diverted Chieftain in 1984, but I have no memory of that.
 

Pseudonym

Member
Joined
9 Jun 2015
Messages
78
Location
Yorkshire
1st Gen DMU in late 70s - Bridlington to Scarborough visiting my Dad in hospital - I seem to remember there were a few different types - 101s, 108's or maybe 104s (3 tall cab windows) thinking back.
The highlight of my life for many years was being invited into the cab one evening, sitting next to the driver and sounding the horn as we approached Filey.
I loved being able to see out of the front in those old DMUs.
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,326
The highlight of my life for many years was being invited into the cab one evening, sitting next to the driver and sounding the horn as we approached Filey.
I wonder how many of us did that? My first was on Taunton to Minehead, a Class 116. I can say that because it was second class behind the driver at both ends.
 

MG11

Member
Joined
4 Nov 2017
Messages
638
I wonder how many of us did that? My first was on Taunton to Minehead, a Class 116. I can say that because it was second class behind the driver at both ends.
I was once invited in to the cab of a Midland Mainline HST, the driver let me press the button to switch the engine on, I was only about 10 though and it was a tough rubber button and I didn't have the strength to depress it enough to draw power.
 

Non Multi

Member
Joined
11 Dec 2017
Messages
1,192
Usual Southall/Reading depot classes 117/121s, 101s and one single trip on the prototype 210 DEMU.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,853
Location
Oakham
For me, main line it would be a SUB or EPB type in what must have been autumn 1968, and I am 100% sure the station would have been West Croydon and the destination Banstead.

What was probably 1969 for the Underground - CO/CP stock, to South Kensington almost certainly from Richmond - but logically must have done Fullwell to Richmond on some EMU type or the other on that same trip.
 

shap summit

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2017
Messages
27
Location
Roslin
My first trip was from Whitstable to Faversham to go train spotting with my dad. I don't remember anything of the actual journey, but I do remember being on the footbridge over the small engine shed when my dad saw a friend of his who invited us down to the shed and onto the footplate of a small 0-6-0 tank engine gently steaming away. I remember this because dads friend asked me what the wheel arrangement was and I was so proud at getting it right. Not bad for a 5 year old!
Later that day, whilst on the footbridge over the platforms, a 5xxx series electro-diesel, I think, came slowly through the outer down platform light engine, the driver, seeing my dad had his old camera out, kindly stopped and posed his loco until dad had got his shot.
My next railway memory was visiting a new fangled four car electric unit that had been parked in Whitstable's only siding to display what was going to take over after the north Kent coast electrification.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top