• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Rail London - Trainee Driver - Recruitment Discussion

signalmaster

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2025
Messages
36
Location
wembley
Arriva Recruitment are poor! Jan course you were all being recruited for was postponed till March and I suspect thats been postponed again or scrapped like the Sept 24 course was or until First take over so hopefully by their quick response to someone above their recruitment team will be a lot better. ARL are currently recruiting for Qualified drivers for NXG so that maybe another reason your applications haven't progressed.
So your saying march course would be postponed and scrapped, we did all our pre employment checks, medical, contract, starter packs.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jovis

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2025
Messages
80
Location
London
@TrainD12 Have you got any information from Arriva back since submiting the form, said they will respond to all people who submit on friday 9am but I didnt receive anything back even though i submitted the form?
 

Business Bob

Member
Joined
22 Nov 2018
Messages
140
Location
London
So your saying march course would be postponed and scrapped, we did all our pre employment checks, medical, contract, starter packs.
I suspected it was cancelled as no one has heard anything after DMIs but if you're receiving contracts and start packs etc for March that's new information then could be going ahead. But the Sept 24 course was cancelled despite people been offered the jobs and given a start date etc so who knows. As I said Arriva recruitment aren't great.
 

signalmaster

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2025
Messages
36
Location
wembley
Yh I think the people who haven't heard back, they will be put in a talentpool if they did well enough for a later course. The march course candidates have already been informed and did all our pre employment checks. We were told beginning of December.
 

TheJpeg

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2026
Messages
11
Location
london
Yh I think the people who haven't heard back, they will be put in a talentpool if they did well enough for a later course. The march course candidates have already been informed and did all our pre employment checks. We were told beginning of December.
Just heard back.

“After great thought, we are unfortunately not able to offer you the position of Trinee Train Driver at this time, whist we enjoyed meeting you and your interview, unfortunately, there were candidates who are better suited to this opportunity.”

I guess this would be a mass email but would’ve been nice to be told abit beforehand and try to spell Trainee and not Trinee.

Anyone else got this email?
 

signalmaster

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2025
Messages
36
Location
wembley
Just heard back.

“After great thought, we are unfortunately not able to offer you the position of Trinee Train Driver at this time, whist we enjoyed meeting you and your interview, unfortunately, there were candidates who are better suited to this opportunity.”

I guess this would be a mass email but would’ve been nice to be told abit beforehand and try to spell Trainee and not Trinee.

Anyone else got this email?
Now you know gather yourself, look for another vacancy, prepare more to hit the top marks. Most of us have been in your position. Goodluck and reapply
 

Jovis

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2025
Messages
80
Location
London
Hey guys was wondering if anyone has received same email as me regarding New Cross Gate?

i received the following

Hi,
Thank you for your application for the Arriva Rail London Trainee Train Driver position at New Cross Gate, and for your continued patience throughout the process.
We’re pleased to let you know that we would now like to progress you to the next stage of testing, which will be carried out by our external partner, the OPC.
To prepare for this, we need some information from you. Please complete the MS Form linked below so that we can share the required details with the OPC and enable them to carry out their checks before inviting you to testing:
Trainee Drivers – New Cross Gate Sept 2026 (2) – Fill in form
You may have completed a similar form previously, but we kindly ask that you complete this one again to ensure we have the most up-to-date information.
Please submit the form as soon as possible. We will be sending details for all respondents at 09:00 on Friday 23rd January, so it’s important that the form is completed before this time. Unfortunately, we’re unable to accept late submissions, and if we do not receive your form by the deadline, we will assume you are no longer interested in the role.
Thank you again for your interest and patience.
Best regards,


I filled in the form but haven't heard anything back? Bit confused as they say they will send details on 23rd January but still nothing?Anybody in the same boat or somebody has had details back since then?
 

A37

New Member
Joined
2 Feb 2026
Messages
1
Location
London
Hey guys was wondering if anyone has received same email as me regarding New Cross Gate?

i received the following

Hi,
Thank you for your application for the Arriva Rail London Trainee Train Driver position at New Cross Gate, and for your continued patience throughout the process.
We’re pleased to let you know that we would now like to progress you to the next stage of testing, which will be carried out by our external partner, the OPC.
To prepare for this, we need some information from you. Please complete the MS Form linked below so that we can share the required details with the OPC and enable them to carry out their checks before inviting you to testing:
Trainee Drivers – New Cross Gate Sept 2026 (2) – Fill in form
You may have completed a similar form previously, but we kindly ask that you complete this one again to ensure we have the most up-to-date information.
Please submit the form as soon as possible. We will be sending details for all respondents at 09:00 on Friday 23rd January, so it’s important that the form is completed before this time. Unfortunately, we’re unable to accept late submissions, and if we do not receive your form by the deadline, we will assume you are no longer interested in the role.
Thank you again for your interest and patience.
Best regards,


I filled in the form but haven't heard anything back? Bit confused as they say they will send details on 23rd January but still nothing?Anybody in the same boat or somebody has had details back since then?
I'm in the exact same situation. Submitted the form probably an hour after they emailed, still yet to hear back well after the deadline. Glad it's not just me but quite frustrating and strange tbh. Hope we hear back soon!
 

Jovis

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2025
Messages
80
Location
London
Seems to be taking a long time, people ar enot lying when they say you need patience in recruitment process lol
 

TheJpeg

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2026
Messages
11
Location
london
My application still says pending even after I got the email saying they’re moving with other applicants
Seems to be taking a long time, people ar enot lying when they say you need patience in recruitment process lol
 

OnLooker_22

New Member
Joined
24 Feb 2026
Messages
3
Location
London
I'm in the exact same situation. Submitted the form probably an hour after they emailed, still yet to hear back well after the deadline. Glad it's not just me but quite frustrating and strange tbh. Hope we hear back soon!
Hi I’ve applied for the trainee train driver role too. I have just completed the ms form and have recieved instructions about the two assessments one being the job focused assessment and the other being the spatial ability test.

Have you received any update?
 

Henry68

Member
Joined
16 Oct 2023
Messages
21
Location
London
I applied for the New Cross gate depot late 2025, was successful but put onto the long list as I wasn’t in the top 200, recently received a email to fill in a pre-screening questionnaire, anybody know what this means
 

GrooveLine

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2025
Messages
63
Location
Lee
I applied for the New Cross gate depot late 2025, was successful but put onto the long list as I wasn’t in the top 200, recently received a email to fill in a pre-screening questionnaire, anybody know what this means
Hi, I hope this helps. :)

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hey guys was wondering if anyone has received same email as me regarding New Cross Gate?

i received the following

Hi,
Thank you for your application for the Arriva Rail London Trainee Train Driver position at New Cross Gate, and for your continued patience throughout the process.
We’re pleased to let you know that we would now like to progress you to the next stage of testing, which will be carried out by our external partner, the OPC.
To prepare for this, we need some information from you. Please complete the MS Form linked below so that we can share the required details with the OPC and enable them to carry out their checks before inviting you to testing:
Trainee Drivers – New Cross Gate Sept 2026 (2) – Fill in form
You may have completed a similar form previously, but we kindly ask that you complete this one again to ensure we have the most up-to-date information.
Please submit the form as soon as possible. We will be sending details for all respondents at 09:00 on Friday 23rd January, so it’s important that the form is completed before this time. Unfortunately, we’re unable to accept late submissions, and if we do not receive your form by the deadline, we will assume you are no longer interested in the role.
Thank you again for your interest and patience.
Best regards,


I filled in the form but haven't heard anything back? Bit confused as they say they will send details on 23rd January but still nothing?Anybody in the same boat or somebody has had details back since then?
A bit of a late reply. I received a similar form a few days ago. I believe when they said they will send your details on Friday 23rd, that they mean to the OPC for their checks to see which tests you'll need to take and which have already been taken.

I was given a short window (24hours) for me to fill in the MS form. I had also emailed them previously after being longlisted, to let them know that I had passed some stages of assessments with OPC some time prior. My MS form didnt have a date for course start. I think it's a positive sign if they are sending you the MS form - it's another step in the recruitment process.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20260402_164811_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20260402_164811_Chrome.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Adam_9345

Member
Joined
6 Oct 2025
Messages
23
Location
dagenham
Received this email:

Dear Adam ,



Re: Application for the role of Trainee Train Driver with Arriva Rail London (ARL)



I’m pleased to inform you, you have been successful. As such, we are inviting you to attend another Stage 1 assessment day for which the details are contained below. If you cannot attend this day then we will place you back into the talent pool.



Assessment Day Details:

Date:
20th April 2026
Time: 09:00 (Please arrive no later than 08:45 for registration). Finish time will be around 12:30

Location: The Occupational Psychology Centre Ltd, One Wellstones, Watford, WD17 2AE



Please confirm your attendance as soon as possible, as we have over-invited candidates to ensure full attendance. If we do not receive confirmation by 13th April your application will be withdrawn.

However, there is no link for me to confirm that I can attend. They also wrote the wrong surname in the email. Anyone else get this kind of email? New Cross gate Arriva Rail.
 

Brickz

Member
Joined
3 Aug 2024
Messages
92
Location
Kent
Received this email:

Dear Adam ,



Re: Application for the role of Trainee Train Driver with Arriva Rail London (ARL)



I’m pleased to inform you, you have been successful. As such, we are inviting you to attend another Stage 1 assessment day for which the details are contained below. If you cannot attend this day then we will place you back into the talent pool.



Assessment Day Details:

Date:
20th April 2026
Time: 09:00 (Please arrive no later than 08:45 for registration). Finish time will be around 12:30

Location: The Occupational Psychology Centre Ltd, One Wellstones, Watford, WD17 2AE



Please confirm your attendance as soon as possible, as we have over-invited candidates to ensure full attendance. If we do not receive confirmation by 13th April your application will be withdrawn.

However, there is no link for me to confirm that I can attend. They also wrote the wrong surname in the email. Anyone else get this kind of email? New Cross gate Arriva Rail.
You just reply to the email confirming your attendance and if they got the surname wrong then add that into the email to check as they will check you I.D when at the OPC
 

TheJpeg

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2026
Messages
11
Location
london
Received this email:

Dear Adam ,



Re: Application for the role of Trainee Train Driver with Arriva Rail London (ARL)



I’m pleased to inform you, you have been successful. As such, we are inviting you to attend another Stage 1 assessment day for which the details are contained below. If you cannot attend this day then we will place you back into the talent pool.



Assessment Day Details:

Date:
20th April 2026
Time: 09:00 (Please arrive no later than 08:45 for registration). Finish time will be around 12:30

Location: The Occupational Psychology Centre Ltd, One Wellstones, Watford, WD17 2AE



Please confirm your attendance as soon as possible, as we have over-invited candidates to ensure full attendance. If we do not receive confirmation by 13th April your application will be withdrawn.

However, there is no link for me to confirm that I can attend. They also wrote the wrong surname in the email. Anyone else get this kind of email? New Cross gate Arriva Rail.
I got this one:

Following on from successfully completing Stage 1 & Stage 2 of the OPC testing, I am pleased to inform you, you have been selected for a first stage interview for the Trainee Train Driver opportunity with Arriva Rail London, congratulations.

You will be speaking with one of our Driver Manager’s and another member of the team, to be confirmed as discussed, if I find out before I will let you know.

This interview will be a competency-based interview discussing your past experience and how you would fit into the role. I would recommend thinking of reasons why you believe you would make a good ARL driver, specifically mentioning key attributes that you think you have and are relevant.


Details for Interview:

Role:
Trainee Train Driver – New Cross Gate

Date was for November 2025 but still yet to hear back from them of the outcome
 

Henry68

Member
Joined
16 Oct 2023
Messages
21
Location
London
I have a received a email inviting me to stage 1, 3 out of the 4 assessments I have passed in the past with another rail company. Would they still make me resit them
 

Brickz

Member
Joined
3 Aug 2024
Messages
92
Location
Kent
Hi does anyone know where I can park near the Watford OPC? Thanks

Scroll down till you see my post and your see couple screenshot I uploaded. This is where I parked each time I've gone there.
 

GrooveLine

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2025
Messages
63
Location
Lee
I have a received a email inviting me to stage 1, 3 out of the 4 assessments I have passed in the past with another rail company. Would they still make me resit them
Hi
I received the same email. It mentions at the bottom of the email that if you have taken any of the tests, the OPC will be aware of this. Then it will be whether you scored to standard or enhanced level which will determine whether you will need to resit or not. I think ARL is enhanced level.
 

Henry68

Member
Joined
16 Oct 2023
Messages
21
Location
London
Hi
I received the same email. It mentions at the bottom of the email that if you have taken any of the tests, the OPC will be aware of this. Then it will be whether you scored to standard or enhanced level which will determine whether you will need to resit or not. I think ARL is enhanced level.
Yeah ARL is enhanced so you have to
Re do to pass the assessments at their standards

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Also does anybody know if there’s any practice material we can access for the stage 1 assessments
 
Last edited:

GrooveLine

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2025
Messages
63
Location
Lee
Yeah ARL is enhanced so you have to
Re do to pass the assessments at their standards

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Also does anybody know if there’s any practice material we can access for the stage 1 assessments
Yes there are attachments at the end of the invitation email with free practice materials.
 

DuserH9

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2025
Messages
26
Location
london
Does anyone know how the pay progression works for this role? After completing to on of training and so on etc.
 

Top