• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Rail London - Trainee Driver - Recruitment Discussion

Bis7

New Member
Joined
24 Sep 2025
Messages
2
Location
willesden junction
Hey guys I’m been asked by arriva to do the SHL but I passed both my VSE stage 1 and stage 2 opc in may. Is there any point in me applying?I would have to wait till next year may right?
Hey guys I’m been asked by arriva to do the SHL but I passed both my VSE stage 1 and stage 2 opc in may. Is there any point in me applying?I would have to wait till next year may right?
Hello I received email from Arriva saying “
We’re currently reviewing all results and will be in touch within the next two weeks if you’re successful in progressing to the next stage of the selection process.”

Its past 2 weeks now no email or do they by any means contact us through phone call or what do you recon that email mean positive or not?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I completed it last month, then was invited to go to the assessment centre for stage 1. In stage 2 you sit a VSE in person supervised.

Stage 1 has 4 tests:
- Group Bourdon
There's a software you can find in these forums which you can use to practice. Print out some sheets to make it more like the actual test.

- Driver Fault Finding
They'll give instructions of how to identify the faults on a train and then you need to read it to find the correct error code.

- Tea-Occ
Counting beeps, finding correct contact in a phone book and then doing both at the same time.

- Situational Judgement
Read the text choose the order you think best suits the situation

That's the 4 tests on the first stage.

They give prep material if you get into stage 1 but they are not that great use this forum to find better prep material.
Nice this is what i need but can you please give specific details of the prep material link

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Anyone get that email after taking spatial ability saying they’ll contact you within 2 weeks if successful? And if so, have you got a reply or are you still waiting?
Yes this the email i got last 2 weeks

Thank you for taking the time to complete the assessments for the Trainee Train Driver role with Arriva Rail London (London Overground). We really appreciate the effort you’ve put in.



We’re currently reviewing all results and will be in touch within the next two weeks if you’re successful in progressing to the next stage of the selection process.

I dont know when they will do so …any clue how the next step will be done for New Cross

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Ohh okay, I got an email like 4-5 days after taking the test (took it same day as you) saying they’re currently reviewing everyone’s results and that they’ll contact me within 2 weeks if I’m successful. Still waiting but it’s only been 10 days so hopefully they reach out soon.
Did you hear from them yet i had same email

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hey guys, anybody actually got reply for the spatial assesment & behaviour yet? Received the HR email Oct 16th saying within 2 weeks they will let me know but now 2 weeks still nothing , is this usual with them?
Have you heard from them yet?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jovis

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2025
Messages
80
Location
London
@Bis7 No, my assumption is probably going to start sending replies on Monday (tommorow) but who knows maybe they just fell behind. No response to anyone yet as far as I understand at the moment.
 

Adam_9345

Member
Joined
6 Oct 2025
Messages
23
Location
dagenham
Hello I received email from Arriva saying “
We’re currently reviewing all results and will be in touch within the next two weeks if you’re successful in progressing to the next stage of the selection process.”

Its past 2 weeks now no email or do they by any means contact us through phone call or what do you recon that email mean positive or not?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Nice this is what i need but can you please give specific details of the prep material link

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Yes this the email i got last 2 weeks

Thank you for taking the time to complete the assessments for the Trainee Train Driver role with Arriva Rail London (London Overground). We really appreciate the effort you’ve put in.



We’re currently reviewing all results and will be in touch within the next two weeks if you’re successful in progressing to the next stage of the selection process.

I dont know when they will do so …any clue how the next step will be done for New Cross

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Did you hear from them yet i had same email

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Have you heard from them yet?
Nope, still ain’t heard from them. I am somewhat glad that there’s others with the same issue I’m just wondering whether there’s anyone who has actually gotten a reply within those 2 weeks. Because the way they worded the email seems as if anything more than 2 weeks means that you have failed. Good luck to you all and let’s hope they’re just busy right now lol.
 

Jovis

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2025
Messages
80
Location
London
I mean , I would say unlikely that this is the case as people who are here more than likely revised more than just people who applied and winged it (not gonna lie i winged the spatial lol) but yeah there is a few people here who haven't got response yet.
 

Kyle2409

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2023
Messages
24
Location
London
I wouldn’t take there 2 weeks as literal. The process is very slow so just because its been 2 weeks doesn’t mean you have failed. They probably have just got lots to go through. Patience is key when applying for any job in the railway in my experience.

I wish you all good luck
 

VictorSaka

Member
Joined
4 Nov 2025
Messages
6
Location
london
Just discovered this forum yesterday. Wish I knew about this forum beforehand. I received my rejection email yesterday so congrats to those who haven’t heard the bad news. I attended and sat the OPC assessment in Watford on the 22/10.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8747.jpeg
    IMG_8747.jpeg
    414.8 KB · Views: 134

Bis7

New Member
Joined
24 Sep 2025
Messages
2
Location
willesden junction
Just discovered this forum yesterday. Wish I knew about this forum beforehand. I received my rejection email yesterday so congrats to those who haven’t heard the bad news. I attended and sat the OPC assessment in Watford on the 22/10.
Sorry to hear that bro but you tried your best for sure

How was it like is it similar to the the videos on youtube channels if you can help us with a lil details on what to expect at least .

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hey guys I’m been asked by arriva to do the SHL but I passed both my VSE stage 1 and stage 2 opc in may. Is there any point in me applying?I would have to wait till next year may right?
Hi i hope you are well can , you please help with some links to learning materials for the opc stage 1&2 or any suggestions on how to get some please
 
Last edited:

VictorSaka

Member
Joined
4 Nov 2025
Messages
6
Location
london
Sorry to hear that bro but you tried your best for sure

How was it like is it similar to the the videos on youtube channels if you can help us with a lil details on what to expect at least .

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Hi i hope you are well can , you please help with some links to learning materials for the opc stage 1&2 or any suggestions on how to get some please
Yeah it’s similar but the duration to complete the tests were very short so work on speed as much as you can.

DFFT was much trickier than the practice examples.

I only used the training materials provided but forums like these are useful giving you the heads up on what to expect.

Good luck
 

Mins

Member
Joined
14 Oct 2025
Messages
68
Location
London
Yeah it’s similar but the duration to complete the tests were very short so work on speed as much as you can.

DFFT was much trickier than the practice examples.

I only used the training materials provided but forums like these are useful giving you the heads up on what to expect.

Good luck
sorry to hear mate, defo keep at it and try again - i have been trying for 2 years! its very competitive but one day will be successful!

regards the DFFT - is it like finding faults with switches etc , like lights and stuff?
 

VictorSaka

Member
Joined
4 Nov 2025
Messages
6
Location
london
sorry to hear mate, defo keep at it and try again - i have been trying for 2 years! its very competitive but one day will be successful!

regards the DFFT - is it like finding faults with switches etc , like lights and stuff?
Appreciate the kind words. It’s even more frustrating because I keep getting emails to take the assessment for the GTS line role which must be a mistake from their side if I’m ineligible.

Yeah exactly that. The fault finder guide etc. lights battery windows etc.
 

Adam_9345

Member
Joined
6 Oct 2025
Messages
23
Location
dagenham
Appreciate the kind words. It’s even more frustrating because I keep getting emails to take the assessment for the GTS line role which must be a mistake from their side if I’m ineligible.

Yeah exactly that. The fault finder guide etc. lights battery windows etc.
I might be mistaken but I’m pretty sure failing the assessment for arriva doesn’t mean that you can’t take the assessments with another TOC. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.
 

signalmaster

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2025
Messages
36
Location
wembley
If the assessment failed is also considered with gts then the loss of life counts and you would need to wait. Arriva and gts are both enhanced, but theres no harm in trying. Keep pushing again next time u know
 

Mihigo26

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2025
Messages
66
Location
Edinburgh
Anyone been sent the links for the tests yet, or are we likely not to get them for a while until they filter through things?
 

Iddy015

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2023
Messages
36
Location
Iddy.150
Hi anyone applied for the Birmingham new street position, got a email saying i have gone to the next stage and waiting for the the assessment.
 
Last edited:

sean94

New Member
Joined
17 Sep 2025
Messages
3
Location
London
Got my reply. Not made the top 200 but in the pool under that and will be bought forward if they need to bring forward more candidates.

Over 6000 applicants
 

Jovis

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2025
Messages
80
Location
London
Yup pretty much same got the below....

"You are part of the longlist, candidates who met the minimum threshold but did not score within the top group. Your application remains active while we work to fill the required vacancies (potentially up to 30, though this is still being finalised). Should we need to progress additional candidates, we will revisit this longlist and invite those with the highest scores to continue"
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,028
Location
London
Hi anyone applied for the Birmingham new street position, got a email saying i have gone to the next stage and waiting for the the assessment.

Are you sure you are in the right topic? This is a thread regarding ARL / Overground trainee driver campaigns.
 

nasontherails

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2025
Messages
15
Location
London
Got my reply. Not made the top 200 but in the pool under that and will be bought forward if they need to bring forward more candidates.

Over 6000 applicants
Same here.

I've emailed them as i've passed all the assessments already with another TOC.

Fingers crossed.
 

shahid_altaf

Member
Joined
10 May 2017
Messages
17
Yup pretty much same got the below....

"You are part of the longlist, candidates who met the minimum threshold but did not score within the top group. Your application remains active while we work to fill the required vacancies (potentially up to 30, though this is still being finalised). Should we need to progress additional candidates, we will revisit this longlist and invite those with the highest scores to continue"
Did you get this response after doing your DMI?
 

Top