ARL HR have nothing to do with the recruitment. All recruitment is done centrally via the Arriva group which handles all external AND internal recruitment for ARL, Grand Central, Chiltern and Cross Country. The recruitment team consists of... 1 person! So they are busy and the process is pretty chaotic even for those of us internally applying for roles.Spoke to HR on the phone right after I applied and told them about my situation and was told we’d get back to you, so was waiting on them, but I guess lesson learnt.
Thanks for the responses everyone.
Thank you for sharing this info. Are all the tests on paper and are they all timed?I completed it last month, then was invited to go to the assessment centre for stage 1. In stage 2 you sit a VSE in person supervised.
Stage 1 has 4 tests:
- Group Bourdon
There's a software you can find in these forums which you can use to practice. Print out some sheets to make it more like the actual test.
- Driver Fault Finding
They'll give instructions of how to identify the faults on a train and then you need to read it to find the correct error code.
- Tea-Occ
Counting beeps, finding correct contact in a phone book and then doing both at the same time.
- Situational Judgement
Read the text choose the order you think best suits the situation
That's the 4 tests on the first stage.
They give prep material if you get into stage 1 but they are not that great use this forum to find better prep material.
ARL HR have nothing to do with the recruitment. All recruitment is done centrally via the Arriva group which handles all external AND internal recruitment for ARL, Grand Central, Chiltern and Cross Country. The recruitment team consists of... 1 person! So they are busy and the process is pretty chaotic even for those of us internally applying for roles.
As stated regardless of any passes with another TOC you need to apply and go through the process. As and when they get to you, you will progress to the relevant stages that you may still require.
All try to be patient, its not a quick process it took me 1 year to go from application to starting and that was pre-covid before any online VSE & SHT etc and when recruitment was done by ARL themselves. Plus patience is some what needed for
Not yet mate OPC take up to 10 days to reply I thinkAnyone got the results back from OPC regarding the VSE assessment?
i have done my VSE test last week but no results as of yet.
Thank you for your response.Not yet mate OPC take up to 10 days to reply I think
I took the spatial test on Saturday 11th October as well. I didn't receive an email afterward, but my application for Trainee Train Driver NXG is still pending on the arriva portal. So still waiting to hear confirmation of whether I will make it to assessment stage. I remember they said that doing the test sooner than later would be ideal and sent me a reminder on the Friday.Anyone get that email after taking spatial ability saying they’ll contact you within 2 weeks if successful? And if so, have you got a reply or are you still waiting?
Ohh okay, I got an email like 4-5 days after taking the test (took it same day as you) saying they’re currently reviewing everyone’s results and that they’ll contact me within 2 weeks if I’m successful. Still waiting but it’s only been 10 days so hopefully they reach out soon.I took the spatial test on Saturday 11th October as well. I didn't receive an email afterward, but my application for Trainee Train Driver NXG is still pending on the arriva portal. So still waiting to hear confirmation of whether I will make it to assessment stage. I remember they said that doing the test sooner than later would be ideal and sent me a reminder on the Friday.
Great, good luck. Did they also email you saying they’re reviewing all results right now?did my first stage spatial assessments a week or so ago so hopefully going to hear back if I passed them or not this week, fingers crossed
thanks, yes they didGreat, good luck. Did they also email you saying they’re reviewing all results right now?
Oh okay update me if/when you get a reply please. They said 2 weeks if I’m successful, but it’s been 13 days and just waiting and praying they get back to me soon. Not sure if they’ll take longer, or if 2 weeks means that I didn’t pass. Thanks.thanks, yes they did
Did you have a message pop up on the screen after completing the tests?Oh okay update me if/when you get a reply please. They said 2 weeks if I’m successful, but it’s been 13 days and just waiting and praying they get back to me soon. Not sure if they’ll take longer, or if 2 weeks means that I didn’t pass. Thanks.
Yes, saying ‘based on your results, we may contact you for the next step’ or something along those lines. 8 days later, I got an email saying they’re reviewing everyone’s results and will contact me within 2 weeks if I’m successful.Did you have a message pop up on the screen after completing the tests?
I have passed the OPC VSE test and have been invited for the stage 1 Assessment center on the 6th November.Hey guys, anybody actually got reply for the spatial assesment & behaviour yet? Received the HR email Oct 16th saying within 2 weeks they will let me know but now 2 weeks still nothing , is this usual with them?
You will take 4 tests.I have passed the OPC VSE test and have been invited for the stage 1 Assessment center on the 6th November.
what exactly happens at the assessment center?
Anyone else been invited for the 6th November?
I saw people say that they thought they had failed but they actually passed. They felt like they failed because the interviewer kept on adding on questions and making the interview very long, this is something they do to see how you handle the pressure of the interview and to get you to keep talking so they can learn more about you. Good luck to you mate.Had my MMI recently, feel like I didn't do to well. Anyone else feel like this and passed? Is the interview scored on each question? People who got results of passing how long did it take?
Search on google ‘how to become a train driver’ and click on the result from Arriva. They break down each stage for you, then for the tests it says are for stage 1, do your research on them and try to prepare for them. Good luck.I have passed the OPC VSE test and have been invited for the stage 1 Assessment center on the 6th November.
what exactly happens at the assessment center?
Anyone else been invited for the 6th November?
I’m waiting for the exact same thing as you. I’m just hoping that it’s just ‘taking them longer’ rather than us having failed, hence why the lack of reply in 2 weeks. Praying for you and everyone else in the same situation .Hey guys, anybody actually got reply for the spatial assesment & behaviour yet? Received the HR email Oct 16th saying within 2 weeks they will let me know but now 2 weeks still nothing , is this usual with them?
Hi mate, i have a similar problem whereby my grandmas funeral may fall on the assessment day - however i have confirmed with OPC i will be attending (just waiting on the actual funeral date). I believe we have to let OPC know before a certain date (3rd November?).I received an email saying i have passed the VSE online and need to take the assessment in Watford, however I am taking my mother to a hospital appointmenmt on the same day. If i was to send an email to the recruitment team if i could schedule to take the test at a later date, would it cancel and be the end of my application? or would it be better the cancel my mothers appointment which could mean she will have to wait a long time for her next appointment?
yeah ive noticed that as well, i did ring the centre and the lady said she couldnt tell me as they have high volume of calls right now so send an email, only issue is that she said they respond usually with in 48 hours, and i also asked if my application will be cancelled. she said its down to arriva rail and not their centre, i would be placed back into the talent pool, but she couldnt confirm if my application would be cancelled because its all done via email. ive sent an email just hoping the can place me later even if its a couple of months as this appointment is rather important.Hi mate, i have a similar problem whereby my grandmas funeral may fall on the assessment day - however i have confirmed with OPC i will be attending (just waiting on the actual funeral date). I believe we have to let OPC know before a certain date (3rd November?).
i read on the email that if you cannot make it they put you in a talent pool and wait further assessment dates.
but you should give them a call and confirm
yeh i sent an email this morning and they got back to me quick - stating i will be put in the talent pool as they dont have any other dates at the momentyeah ive noticed that as well, i did ring the centre and the lady said she couldnt tell me as they have high volume of calls right now so send an email, only issue is that she said they respond usually with in 48 hours, and i also asked if my application will be cancelled. she said its down to arriva rail and not their centre, i would be placed back into the talent pool, but she couldnt confirm if my application would be cancelled because its all done via email. ive sent an email just hoping the can place me later even if its a couple of months as this appointment is rather important.