• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Rail London - Trainee Driver - Recruitment Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kyle2409

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2023
Messages
24
Location
London
I just completed both the tests. Spatial ability was more difficult than what i had looked up. Assessment one is fairly straight forward.

Hopefully they let you know the outcome rather swiftly

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I got an email saying they not progressing my application today before i had even completed the assessments they asked me to complete
 

Mertel94

Member
Joined
17 Sep 2019
Messages
11
Location
London
I just completed both the tests. Spatial ability was more difficult than what i had looked up. Assessment one is fairly straight forward.

Hopefully they let you know the outcome rather swiftly

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I got an email saying they not progressing my application today before i had even completed the assessments they asked me to complete
Sorry to hear that. Did you sit the VSE test recently? If so did you get the results?
 

Mertel94

Member
Joined
17 Sep 2019
Messages
11
Location
London
Is the SHL a replacement for the VSE? as it didn't mention this on the ARL career website.Would appreciate if someone could enlighten us
 

NSEWonderer

Established Member
Joined
5 Dec 2020
Messages
2,909
Location
London
Is the SHL a replacement for the VSE? as it didn't mention this on the ARL career website.Would appreciate if someone could enlighten us
Probably a replacement for the home online based VSE which was still the actual OPC graded VSE that caught out people as it actually counted as a life to other TOCs if failed, like SE for one as it goes on the database. Arriva basically before now had a online VSE and then an assessment center VSE. I expect successful candidates will still do the VSE at the assessment center.
 

Mertel94

Member
Joined
17 Sep 2019
Messages
11
Location
London
Probably a replacement for the home online based VSE which was still the actual OPC graded VSE that caught out people as it actually counted as a life to other TOCs if failed, like SE for one as it goes on the database. Arriva basically before now had a online VSE and then an assessment center VSE. I expect successful candidates will still do the VSE at the assessment center.
Thanks
 

fabr

New Member
Joined
10 Oct 2025
Messages
1
Location
London
Hi,

i'm going to do SHL for the overground soon,but i see that the assestment is 20min and the verbal test on pratice is 19min so something is not right,
i mean how do you do 3different thinks like (verbal,numerical,and calculation)in a short time?

i'm bit confusing and i would like to don't waste my time to pratice with something that i don't need.

Anyone did before?what i'll do?what pratice you will raccomand?

Thanks

Fab
 

ExRes

Established Member
Joined
16 Dec 2012
Messages
8,452
Location
Back in Sussex
Hi,

i'm going to do SHL for the overground soon,but i see that the assestment is 20min and the verbal test on pratice is 19min so something is not right,
i mean how do you do 3different thinks like (verbal,numerical,and calculation)in a short time?

i'm bit confusing and i would like to don't waste my time to pratice with something that i don't need.

Anyone did before?what i'll do?what pratice you will raccomand?

Thanks

Fab

I have no idea at all what an SHL assessment is, but if I may offer a suggestion you need to practice anything and everything that may come up during the assessment, sods law has it that whatever you don't practice will come up and that 'waste of time' could well bite you on the behind, you may well end up practising something you're not required to do but how much do you want the job?
 

Alex_09

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2018
Messages
47
I done the test today and at the end it said based on results we will be in touch soon so fingers crossed I’m on to the next stage ..
 

ab96

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2025
Messages
11
Location
Essex
I done the test today and at the end it said based on results we will be in touch soon so fingers crossed I’m on to the next stage ..
Hi mate, how many questions on the spatial test did you manage to answer?
 

ab96

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2025
Messages
11
Location
Essex
Does anyone know what’s the “assessment” about? It just say assessment lol but specify what type of assessment.
It’s a series of questions, where for each question you pick a first and second choice which is mostly like you as a person.
 

M_B14

Member
Joined
1 Oct 2024
Messages
20
Location
London
Finished spatial ability assessment. Was somewhat easy if you dont overthink/overcomplicated it. I suggest everyone to complete the full 22 questions as if you miss one or more, you get marked down. if you are unsure, just guess.
 

DuserH9

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2025
Messages
26
Location
london
I’m not sure on guessing just to complete it, I know you’ll get marked down but surely 15 answers answered correctly is better than 22 answered questions with only 15 correct ?
 

MO12110

Member
Joined
7 Apr 2020
Messages
19
Location
London
I’m not sure on guessing just to complete it, I know you’ll get marked down but surely 15 answers answered correctly is better than 22 answered questions with only 15 correct ?
It stated on test to complete all the questions as you will be marked for incomplete. It also stated to guess if you dont know the answer.
 

Adam_9345

Member
Joined
6 Oct 2025
Messages
23
Location
dagenham
Finished spatial ability assessment. Was somewhat easy if you dont overthink/overcomplicated it. I suggest everyone to complete the full 22 questions as if you miss one or more, you get marked down. if you are unsure, just guess.
thanks for your advice, just wanna know. Are there loads of sequence questions? Or would you say most of them were cube net type of questions? Also were there any of those 3d Lego type shapes which were shown at different angles. All the tests I’m looking up look different, thanks again!
 

DuserH9

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2025
Messages
26
Location
london
I wonder how they mark it, as in, how much more value is an incorrect answer than an incomplete answer, if there is
 

ab96

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2025
Messages
11
Location
Essex
If anyone hasn’t done the Spatial Ability test yet, can you kindly send a pic of the rules where it states you get marked down for not completing questions please before you attempt it. Not sure why but I don’t remember seeing it state anything like that :s
 

Adam_9345

Member
Joined
6 Oct 2025
Messages
23
Location
dagenham
I’m not sure if I’m allowed to send a photo of any part of the assessment but I’ll double check for you and let you know whether it says so or not, also can you take a look at my question and let me know please if you remember the question layout atleast. Thank you!
 

Blueryel

New Member
Joined
18 Aug 2025
Messages
4
Location
London
If anyone hasn’t done the Spatial Ability test yet, can you kindly send a pic of the rules where it states you get marked down for not completing questions please before you attempt it. Not sure why but I don’t remember seeing it state anything like that :s
I belive you’re marked down for incomplete answers and incorrect answers, but they warn you beforehand. It'll tell you everything before you start the assessment anyways.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

thanks for your advice, just wanna know. Are there loads of sequence questions? Or would you say most of them were cube net type of questions? Also were there any of those 3d Lego type shapes which were shown at different angles. All the tests I’m looking up look different, thanks again!
It Includes nets, block counting, rotations, shape matching and anything else you would find in a standard spatial ability test so i would recommend practicing everything.
 
Last edited:
Joined
5 Jun 2025
Messages
48
Location
london
I belive you’re marked down for incomplete answers and incorrect answers, but they warn you beforehand. It'll tell you everything before you start the assessment anyways.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


It Includes nets, block counting, rotations, shape matching and anything else you would find in a standard spatial ability test so i would recommend practicing everything.
This was so helpful thank you. Good luck to all of us xx
 

Adam_9345

Member
Joined
6 Oct 2025
Messages
23
Location
dagenham
I belive you’re marked down for incomplete answers and incorrect answers, but they warn you beforehand. It'll tell you everything before you start the assessment anyways.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


It Includes nets, block counting, rotations, shape matching and anything else you would find in a standard spatial ability test so i would recommend practicing everything.
Legend, thank you very much my friend I wish you all the best with your results!
 

ab96

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2025
Messages
11
Location
Essex
I’m not sure if I’m allowed to send a photo of any part of the assessment but I’ll double check for you and let you know whether it says so or not, also can you take a look at my question and let me know please if you remember the question layout atleast. Thank you!
Hi mate, as Blueryel stated, it would include all those questions. Unfortunately I managed to get only 10 questions completed so didn’t see any of the other questions. Only saw the block counting ones and shape nets with patterns. Hope that helps!
 

Top