• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Rail London - Trainee Driver - Recruitment Discussion

Mohammed95

Member
Joined
17 Jan 2025
Messages
5
Location
London
Hi Any London overground train drivers here that could answer the following questions please.

How long does it take for trainee train driver to qualify. Is it 9 months or longer?

How is it structured for example is it learning first 1 month, then tractions for another then learning the routes etc.

Also when doing the classroom learning is it Monday- Friday or is this Saturday and Sunday included. Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

20atthemagnet

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2019
Messages
246
Location
England
Hi Any London overground train drivers here that could answer the following questions please.

How long does it take for trainee train driver to qualify. Is it 9 months or longer?

How is it structured for example is it learning first 1 month, then tractions for another then learning the routes etc.

Also when doing the classroom learning is it Monday- Friday or is this Saturday and Sunday included. Thanks

As others have alluded the course should take nine months but doesn’t mean that it will. There can be several caveats that can extend that ie availability of instructors, what time of the year you are training (getting enough dark hours which is a requirement of the handling section can be more difficult during summer). Mine took 12 months from first day in the classroom to first day qualified. Although this was a while ago.

Yes, the course is structured in separate sections eg PTS, rules, traction, and then handling hours with an instructor at the end.

Yes, Monday to Friday during classroom training. When you are doing your hours with your instructor though you’ll be expected to follow their shift pattern across all seven days. You will typically sign everything that you need to sign from day one qualified.

Also worth mentioning that all the info about rostering/leave etc is applicable for “Classic” (all depots excluding Chingford) That side of the business has completely different t&cs/leave arrangements/rostering/diagrams. Worth mentioning in case anyone’s thinking of coming in at one of these depots and moving over to there eventually.
 

bolvic

Member
Joined
3 Aug 2025
Messages
6
Location
london
Ah lol since 24th July , I felt my DMI was strong but perhaps there were just stronger candidates. Understandable, at least I passed all those OPC test. Though I’m curious how long the results stay in the system before having to redo them. I’m just anxiously waiting to hear back from the DMI if I ever do.
 

mcgrindah

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2025
Messages
38
Location
UK
Ah lol since 24th July , I felt my DMI was strong but perhaps there were just stronger candidates. Understandable, at least I passed all those OPC test. Though I’m curious how long the results stay in the system before having to redo them. I’m just anxiously waiting to hear back from the DMI if I ever do.
Was yours with ARL? I didn't know what to make of my DMI to be honest, was pretty quick so that's either a good thing or a bad thing! I'm sure we will hear one way or the other. Same as you though, happy to have passed all the OPC stuff. Will make the next applications easier if this one doesn't work out.
 

mcgrindah

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2025
Messages
38
Location
UK
Yes ARL, apparently the course starts beginning of September
I believe they were doing interviews all last week, as I had mine. With any luck maybe they're starting some others later than 1st September.
 

Mr Francis

Member
Joined
21 May 2025
Messages
49
Location
London
I believe they were doing interviews all last week, as I had mine. With any luck maybe they're starting some others later than 1st September.
Course starting the 1st September is full. They are doing interviews up until the 26th September for a course starting in November.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Ah lol since 24th July , I felt my DMI was strong but perhaps there were just stronger candidates. Understandable, at least I passed all those OPC test. Though I’m curious how long the results stay in the system before having to redo them. I’m just anxiously waiting to hear back from the DMI if I ever do.
Maybe you’ll be in selection for the November course but majority of people who had their interviews in July have heard back already.
 

bolvic

Member
Joined
3 Aug 2025
Messages
6
Location
london
I see, how many people are usually apart of a course, you seem to know quite a bit, are you starting September 1st too?
 

Business Bob

Member
Joined
22 Nov 2018
Messages
140
Location
London
I see, how many people are usually apart of a course, you seem to know quite a bit, are you starting September 1st too?
It varies. Previous courses are usually around 8 but the current course is only 4. The Sept and Nov courses are expected to both be 10.
 

Mr Francis

Member
Joined
21 May 2025
Messages
49
Location
London
I see, how many people are usually apart of a course, you seem to know quite a bit, are you starting September 1st too?
No, I just missed it. I’ll be in selection for the November course but won’t hear anything until all interviews are processed on September 26th.
 

moonie95

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2023
Messages
188
Location
UK
So starting 1st September, which routes will we be training for, for the Willesden depot. I saw earlier that the Euston to Watford route may not be part of the initial. I want to start getting use to the overground routes and the new line names.
 

Business Bob

Member
Joined
22 Nov 2018
Messages
140
Location
London
So starting 1st September, which routes will we be training for, for the Willesden depot. I saw earlier that the Euston to Watford route may not be part of the initial. I want to start getting use to the overground routes and the new line names.
Your core routes will be NLL (Mildmay) & GOBs (Suffragette). You won't drive the DC (Lioness) once qualified unless years down the line you get in the DC link or move to Euston/Watford.
 

moonie95

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2023
Messages
188
Location
UK
Your core routes will be NLL (Mildmay) & GOBs (Suffragette). You won't drive the DC (Lioness) once qualified unless years down the line you get in the DC link or move to Euston/Watford.
Where would the training locations be initially, like the class room, would it be at Palestra Southwark?
 

Business Bob

Member
Joined
22 Nov 2018
Messages
140
Location
London
Where would the training locations be initially, like the class room, would it be at Palestra Southwark?
Initially you'll be at Palestra and then Willesden but depending on classroom availability and/or the training you could find yourself at Euston/Wembley on some days.
 

mc234

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2023
Messages
13
Location
London
I'm also waiting on a reply from a DMI interview I did in August, is September def gone and only November courses remain?
 

mcgrindah

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2025
Messages
38
Location
UK
I'd be interested to hear if others were told anything at their DMI. My own experience is that they didn't, and everything I was told by the OPC during the process, was that September was the start date.

I would expect better communication from ARL directly on this, which clearly they gave to some at the DMI, but not others.
 

moonie95

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2023
Messages
188
Location
UK
I'd be interested to hear if others were told anything at their DMI. My own experience is that they didn't, and everything I was told by the OPC during the process, was that September was the start date.

I would expect better communication from ARL directly on this, which clearly they gave to some at the DMI, but not others.
They looking for 20 drivers for Willesden, a training cohort of 10 starts in September, and then another 10 will start later. I don’t think it will be viable to have 20 trainees in a classroom.
 

Mr Francis

Member
Joined
21 May 2025
Messages
49
Location
London
No new information, just if I was able to start in September and if I had a notice period. First time I heard about November course was from you on here haha
Haha such a strange process. They informed me that they’ll be interviewing up until the 26th September for the course that will be starting in November.
 

mc234

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2023
Messages
13
Location
London
Haha such a strange process. They informed me that they’ll be interviewing up until the 26th September for the course that will be starting in November.
Haha indeed. So did they say they wouldn't start making offers for November's course until after the 26th September?
 

Top