• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First North Western London services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
Manchester Airport - Euston ~ 4 times per day with Class 322s

Rochdale (via Manchester Victoria) and Blackpool North to Euston ~ 2-3 times per day or so with Class 158s.

Ran May 1998-May 1999. A single Rochdale service stumbled on until May 2000.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,674
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Manchester Airport - Euston ~ 4 times per day with Class 322s

Driver, guard, one man, dog and bicycle. Used one once when I was a student for a random day trip to London, thirteen quid with YP which even in 1999 money was good value. First Class present for ORCATS raid purposes only. Also used the Class 158 services a couple of times which were more popular and I believe at the end actually profitable - they were knackered by getting poor paths, which probably made sense as a 2-car unit was a bit of a waste of valuable WCML paths.
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,333
Location
Herts
£10 single fares offered for the first few weeks , then £20 each way.

From my observation - the 322 services loaded very poorly.
 

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
£10 single fares offered for the first few weeks , then £20 each way.

From my observation - the 322 services loaded very poorly.

The single return trip I did I recall maybe being 30-40% loaded I recall.

FNW even gave out free copies of the Telegraph to all passengers!
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,133
Location
Wilmslow
What was the calling pattern?
The airport service, from memory, Alderley Edge and Tamworth, the latter usually being an extended stop because the timings were very generous. Didn't call at Wilmslow, but I didn't live here then anyway. I only used the service once, for the novelty and because I knew it wouldn't be busy.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,133
Location
Wilmslow
Which is why I'm flummoxed as to why LNR want to extend the Trent Valleys to there.
If there were a regular, reliable, hourly service (say) that's a totally different proposition to an occasional service. In particular, it'd be hard to rely on the occasional service as a connection out of an inbound flight. Once an hour and a deal with advance tickets allowing use of a later service for late arrivals could generate demand.
 

MatthewRead

On Moderation
Joined
21 Nov 2014
Messages
1,643
Location
West london
They didn't pick up and set down at Watford Junction unlike Virgin Trains did they?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,691
Location
Hope Valley
I used the Class 158 service once, which was moderately loaded. Unlike the Virgin loco-powered services of the time there was no smoking accommodation. We pulled up at Tamworth and I casually mentioned to the guard that he should announce that we had stopped for a smoke break. He did so and literally every passenger alighted and sparked up (except me).
 

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
The airport service, from memory, Alderley Edge and Tamworth, the latter usually being an extended stop because the timings were very generous. Didn't call at Wilmslow, but I didn't live here then anyway. I only used the service once, for the novelty and because I knew it wouldn't be busy.

It was Alderley Edge, Sandbach, Tamworth and Watford.
 

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
Which is why I'm flummoxed as to why LNR want to extend the Trent Valleys to there.

If there were a regular, reliable, hourly service (say) that's a totally different proposition to an occasional service. In particular, it'd be hard to rely on the occasional service as a connection out of an inbound flight. Once an hour and a deal with advance tickets allowing use of a later service for late arrivals could generate demand.

Might also depend on how well they convince people that Manchester Airport is "Manchester".
 

Wirewiper

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2017
Messages
612
Location
BET & TQY
There was a time when people from the London area would fly from Manchester as flights to certain destinations were considerably cheaper than flying from a London airport. I don't know if that is still the case.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top