• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First DLR Ride Next Month - POV Video Ideas & Seeking Feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millsy_2102

Member
Joined
14 Jun 2025
Messages
28
Location
Hastings
Hi everyone,

I'm really excited to share that I'm planning my very first trip on the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) next month! As a keen rail enthusiast (and with a train driver dad who gets me some unique access and stories!), this is a line I've been wanting to experience for a while.

I'm thinking of filming a POV (Point of View) video of my journey to upload to my YouTube channel. I wanted to reach out to the fantastic community here on RailUK Forums:

  • Do you think a DLR POV video would be of interest to others?
  • Are there any specific routes, sections, or even times of day you'd particularly recommend for the best views or a more interesting POV?
  • Any general tips for a first-timer riding the DLR would also be hugely appreciated!
I'm hoping to capture the unique feel of the DLR. Speaking of POVs, I recently uploaded a video of a full journey on a newly refurbished Enviro 400 MMC on Route 99 (Hastings Station - Gildredge Road, Eastbourne), which gained some good traction. I uploaded it as a Premiere, which I found really helped boost views and engagement as it allowed me to promote it beforehand and let people see the title, description, etc., before the actual upload. It seems premiering videos can really enhance viewer satisfaction! You can check it out here:

You can find my other railway content on my channel here:

https://youtube.com/@rrstuff?si=tpMHMx9xA3FINhFS

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and any advice you might have!

Thanks, Reuben (Millsy_2102)
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sealink

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2006
Messages
883
Location
Bridport
The journey into Bank is always good fun, when you have a seat at the very front of the train.
 

boiledbeans2

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2020
Messages
977
Location
UK
I like views where I can see other trains travelling in the same direction as me, i.e. the sections parallel to the c2c line (obviously c2c trains overtake DLR), or the Jubilee line (on the NB approach into Stratford, DLR trains put up a good fight with the Jubilee line as the Jubilee line trains queue into Stratford).
 

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Messages
9,213
Location
SE London
Do you think a DLR POV video would be of interest to others?
  • Are there any specific routes, sections, or even times of day you'd particularly recommend for the best views or a more interesting POV?
  • Any general tips for a first-timer riding the DLR would also be hugely appreciated!

The seats at the very front of the train are the best for views, since you can see out the front window. But they get taken very quickly. Your best chance of getting one is to pick a quiet time, board the train at its terminus, and be very quick to board.

For specific routes: I reckon most of the line between Bank and Woolwich is pretty good, since other than the tunnels right at each end of the line, most of it's elevated, so you can see quite a lot. Look out for where it passes under the cable car between Canning Town and West Silvertown. And the drivers eye view of the sequences of points just East of Canning Town, and around Westferry.

I imagine Canning Town to Beckton would be similar, although I've not really used it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top