• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Class, when its not timetabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
An don a trip to Wick in 2006, the lovely female guard announced it! I sat in it myself on the way back!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A60K

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2008
Messages
1,030
Location
Kilburn
On an inverness to Kyle trip last October, the FC section was open and people sat in it. I never heard the conductor enforce any kind of rule in either direction, so unless everyone who travelled had FC tickets, it was, effectively, declaissifed!
How plush (or not) are the ScotRail 158 First Class sections now? I remember travelling around ten years ago and it was basically identical to Standard Class bar cosmetic changes.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
They are slightly better - they look a bit nicer for a start! Not that there's anything wrong with the way standard looks, it's just more relaxing on the eye.
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Yes it is :)

I wish I knew that when I went there last year <(, is there any other service which FSR do which has a first class onboard but declassified or even better the same query but for all TOCs?
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
First class on SR 158s is the same seating, just a lamp, curtains and a head thing
 

kkong

Member
Joined
8 Sep 2008
Messages
1,167
I didn't know first class on the 158s between Inverness and Wick/Thurso/Kyle of Lochalsh was declassified!

Is it technically only a standard class service then?

The seats on these 158s are the same size and pitch, the only difference is an antimacassar and a table lamp.

There isn't even a door separating First from Standard any more.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
True enough, but it does make for a nicer environment in my opinion, particularly if you don; thave to pay extra!
 

Drsatan

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
1,887
Location
Land of the Sprinters
Conversely, the first class section on SWT's 158s is quite different from standard class. The first class section is partitioned off, all seats are at tables with individual tablelights, and I think the seats can recline as well.

So, when traveling by FGW and you see an SWT 158 turn up, go for the first class section for a more enjoyable experience :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top