• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First class tickets on GWR when travelling with a wheelchair user

dyst

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2017
Messages
26
I am a wheelchair user, and frequently travel on GWR between Oxford and London Paddington or Worcester Foregate Street. Much of the time I get put in the first class carriage, and I am never asked to pay for a first class ticket. If I have a companion travelling with me, I presume I would have to pay for a first class ticket for them if they want to sit with me? What sort of ticket would I ask for? They would be travelling from a further out station than me, and have already got a standard ticket.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,814
Location
UK
I would ask GWR what their policy is on this.

Most operators I'm aware of, that operate trains which only have a wheelchair space in first class, allow both the passenger in a wheelchair and any accompanying passenger to travel there with a standard class ticket. This is on the basis that it would be unlawful discrimination to effectively charge them more when there is no alternative but to travel in first class, not to mention it'd be a very bad look.

I believe some operators may apply a similar policy if the only available wheelchair space (due to another one being booked out) is in first class.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,844
If I have a companion travelling with me, I presume I would have to pay for a first class ticket for them if they want to sit with me? What sort of ticket would I ask for? They would be travelling from a further out station than me, and have already got a standard ticket.
If they are making the same journey as you, the same ticket as you would be appropriate. If they are not making the same journey, but a longer one, I would expect they would need a ticket for the relevant lass of travel.
 

TUC

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
5,098
If a member of on-train/platform staff chooses to place you in the first class carriage, knowing you have a companion with you, it is their choice and you both should be perfectly OK to be there. Quite apart from it being entirely reasonable that a disabled person should have the friend they planned to chat to during the journey located next to them in the same way as anyone else, for some disabled people that companion is also needed if they need to move down the train to the toilet etc.

This does assume they are travelling on the same journey as you. If they are joining before you at an earlier station then they would need to buy their own ticket for that leg (and neither of you would in any event know whether you will end up in first class until you have boarded, and neither presumably would the staff member know they are travelling with you, so it does create a different situation).
 

VT 390

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2018
Messages
1,755
If a member of on-train/platform staff chooses to place you in the first class carriage, knowing you have a companion with you, it is their choice and you both should be perfectly OK to be there. Quite apart from it being entirely reasonable that a disabled person should have the friend they planned to chat to during the journey located next to them in the same way as anyone else, for some disabled people that companion is also needed if they need to move down the train to the toilet etc.

This does assume they are travelling on the same journey as you. If they are joining before you at an earlier station then they would need to buy their own ticket for that leg (and neither of you would in any event know whether you will end up in first class until you have boarded, and neither presumably would the staff member know they are travelling with you, so it does create a different situation).
On GWR journeys if it is a 5 carriage class 800/class 802 (as is often the case on the Worcester - Oxford - London route) a wheelchair user will always be put in first class as the 5 carriage units do not have a space in standard class.

For 9 carriage units ff travelling to Worcester Foregate Street it is possible to know if you will be put in first depending which way round the unit is as WOF can only accommodate 1 of the 2 wheelchair areas on 9 carriage services. Though I appreciate this is more difficult to known than just the number of carriages.
 

Top