• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Class on Grand Central & Wakefield Kirkgate

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetheguard

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
1,939
I've booked a First Advance for travel on the 10.48 ex Kings Cross on a weekday; I've never travelled with them before. I'm going as far as Wakefield Kirkgate -first time I've ever alighted in Wakefield although I've travelled through it many, many times- to have a look at progress on the station refurbishment there. Anyone know how it's coming along? When will staff return and the ticket office re-open?

What "freebies" can I expect in First and what other food is available - just sandwiches or hot food too?

Food aside, how does the standard of the accommodation (space, ambiance, comfort of seat etc.) compare with other Inter City operators?

Lastly, any good pub recommendations (must have real ale) between Kirkgate and Westgate, and how long, roughly, to walk between the two if not taking the train?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give on some or all of these questions.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,366
Location
Yorkshire
Not sure about first on GC, but I do know that the standard has only had a deep clean since FGW days- maybe first has had a bit more TLC... Been meaning to check out Kirkgate myself but been ill so haven't been able to get out.

As for pubs, the Snooty Fox (just a stones throw from Kirkgate!) usually has one or two cask ales on, but it's the main punk/metal venue in Wakefield so if that's not your scene you might want to give it a miss. There is a pub on Westgate, opposite the station of the same name that has a decent selection of beers but I can't remember it's name, sorry!
 

shedman

Member
Joined
14 Feb 2011
Messages
364
Henry Boons which is just underneath the rail bridge from Westgate has several real ales on. Its a Clarks brewery pub with the brewery attached. Kirkgate to Westgate is around 15/20 minutes walk but outside Kirkgate station every 5 or 10 minutes there is a free city bus which will save you the walk if you don't fancy it
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Grand Central said:
If you need to work on the move or just want to relax and watch the world go by, why not travel First class with us.

First class passengers enjoy more legroom, wide, reclining seats, complimentary light refreshments and a newspaper. We aim to provide you with a comfortable environment for working and relaxing.

Light refreshments wouldn't normally suggest hot food.
 

AndrewP

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2011
Messages
497
In terms of what you get on GC in First the answer is not much. Tea and coffee and biscuits with a more comfortable seat.

However, the are cheap and have some very friendly staff.
 

AndrewP

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2011
Messages
497
Sandwiches and snacks from the buffet - they do some hot sandwiches. It used to be terrible but did improve. However, I would buy food and take it on the train when I used them regularly.
 

wensley

Established Member
Joined
29 Jun 2008
Messages
2,045
Location
On a train...somewhere!
I am slightly biased, but...

As mentioned, all the usual 'snacky' things, the cake selection is as nice as anything offered by any TOC I've experienced and the hot sandwiches are a lot better than previously! All come from Tiffin if you are familiar with them.

You will be guaranteed a 180, which isn't quite the same experience as a HST but they're still perfectly pleasant with spacious seats, decent tables and power points.

Enjoy!
 

shires666

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2012
Messages
60
Fernande's (Real ale and a continental beer bar) five minutes away from Kirkgate, You also have the Wetherspoons at the bottom of the precinct. And as mentioned Henry boons or Harrys which are both close to Westgate
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
I've booked a First Advance for travel on the 10.48 ex Kings Cross on a weekday; I've never travelled with them before. I'm going as far as Wakefield Kirkgate -first time I've ever alighted in Wakefield although I've travelled through it many, many times- to have a look at progress on the station refurbishment there. Anyone know how it's coming along?

There's been quite a lot of demolition and sprucing up of the platform and subway areas, but the station building is currently untouched. Not sure when they plan to start.
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
Fernande's (Real ale and a continental beer bar) five minutes away from Kirkgate, You also have the Wetherspoons at the bottom of the precinct. And as mentioned Henry boons or Harrys which are both close to Westgate

Neither Fernandes or Harrys will be open when the 1048 arrives. Pity as, in my view, those are the best real ale places close to the respective stations.
 

bewildered

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2012
Messages
34
The Hop is between the stations and is well worth a visit. Is usually has plenty of real ale on. As for the walking time, I can do it usually in about 20 mins. That's going along Ings Road, right onto derby dale road, left onto George street and up smith street. That route will take you near The Hop and past Harry's Bar another real ale house
 

phil35

Member
Joined
17 Nov 2010
Messages
237
I pass through Kirkgate quite regularly, and although the station has been improved, the main entrance side still looks awful. It also looks like all the construction workers have packed up and gone home, as far as I can tell there's been no work done there for quite a while now. Any idea when the work will begin again?

There's a new roof over all the platforms, but the back of the main building is still falling apart, boarded up etc. Oh, and there's now electronic boards as well, which is handy.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,366
Location
Yorkshire
Henry Boons which is just underneath the rail bridge from Westgate has several real ales on. Its a Clarks brewery pub with the brewery attached. Kirkgate to Westgate is around 15/20 minutes walk but outside Kirkgate station every 5 or 10 minutes there is a free city bus which will save you the walk if you don't fancy it

Henry Boons, that's the one!. As for getting across the city, the walk isn't too bad and there's the FCB as Shedman mentioned. Also, most tickets are issued to Wakefield Stns- not sure about GC advances but I'm also not sure there's a fare available for Kirkgate-Westgate. But if you happen to arrive conveniently for 1tph between the two, you MIGHT be able to do this on your existing ticket, which is handy if you need to 'bash' the curve.
 

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2006
Messages
6,727
Location
Milton Keynes
The Redoubt Inn 28 Horbury Road, Wakefield, West Yorkshire WF2 8TS
is beyond Westgate but is a cracking little boozer which does excellent Landlord (or it was the last time I was there)
 

davetheguard

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
1,939
Thanks for all the advice.

I plan to have a look around Kirkgate station, to "inspect" progress on the refurbishment, before walking across to Westgate for a train back.

I'll enjoy the walk after the journey from London, get to see a bit of Wakefield, and try one of the pubs suggested on the way. What's this about many Wakefield pubs not opening until 16.00 - why?!

Hopefully, something will be open, and want my money........

Thanks again for the suggestions & news.
 

stargazer

Member
Joined
21 Oct 2012
Messages
30
Do not go to the Snooty fox. It is a horrible stinking dive!

For good beer Fernandes is probably the closest good pub to the station.

EDIT - Just realised about the opening times. Henry Boons or The Hop.
 
Last edited:

davetheguard

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
1,939
Do not go to the Snooty fox. It is a horrible stinking dive!

For good beer Fernandes is probably the closest good pub to the station.

EDIT - Just realised about the opening times. Henry Boons or The Hop.

It looks like Fernandes Brewery Tap is open lunchtimes on Friday (the day of my visit), so is looking favourite.
 

shires666

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2012
Messages
60
Also note the free city bus no longer serves Kirkgate from the end of the month I believe due to the on going station improvements.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also if you had time or for future reference the Kings arms on the Heath common is nice little gem!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top