• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Class on Edinburgh to Glasgow via Carstairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC21

Member
Joined
31 Jul 2020
Messages
139
Location
Greater Glasgow
Presumably First was declassified. 385109 worked the 1748 Waverley to Central today (1D57) and returned as the 1947 Central to Waverley (1C52). Never seen this happen before is it common or just the set used if needed?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter0124

Established Member
Joined
20 Nov 2016
Messages
2,754
Location
Glasgow
That diagram is a 385/1. The first class would be declassified though. Honestly the first class seats are less comfy than normal seats on them 385s.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,332
Location
Glasgow
Presumably First was declassified. 385109 worked the 1748 Waverley to Central today (1D57) and returned as the 1947 Central to Waverley (1C52). Never seen this happen before is it common or just the set used if needed?
4-car 385s appear on the Shotts line frequently enough, as well as regularly on many of the Stirling/Dunblane/Alloa workings.

I haven't seen one on the Cathcart Circle or Inverclyde yet, but perhaps it has happened?
 

Falcon1200

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2021
Messages
6,609
Location
Neilston, East Renfrewshire
Honestly the first class seats are less comfy than normal seats on them 385s.

Although 2+1 as opposed to 2+2, so a bit more space in First !

4-car 385s appear on the Shotts line frequently enough, as well as regularly on many of the Stirling/Dunblane/Alloa workings.

Presumably because, with the E&G down to half-hourly for most of the day, there are plenty of spare 385/1 sets ?

(I still live in hope of seeing a 385, of either type, on the Neilston line !)
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,316
Although 2+1 as opposed to 2+2, so a bit more space in First !



Presumably because, with the E&G down to half-hourly for most of the day, there are plenty of spare 385/1 sets ?

(I still live in hope of seeing a 385, of either type, on the Neilston line !)
Not sure if the 385s are cleared to Neilston?6
 

ld0595

Member
Joined
1 Aug 2014
Messages
672
Location
Glasgow
(I still live in hope of seeing a 385, of either type, on the Neilston line !)
I think they've done some runs around the Cathcart Circle at least (before the service was decimated!), though that was in the early days or maybe just for testing. I don't think there's any booked to go there now.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,332
Location
Glasgow
Presumably because, with the E&G down to half-hourly for most of the day, there are plenty of spare 385/1 sets ?
I imagine so - I even saw TWO 4-car units on an Edinburgh-Dunblane a few months ago, so they must have some going spare!

I still live in hope of seeing a 385, of either type, on the Neilston line !
Almost exclusive 4-car 380s isn't bad though, nicer than 318/320s :E
 
Joined
3 Aug 2021
Messages
835
Location
Glasgow
I imagine so - I even saw TWO 4-car units on an Edinburgh-Dunblane a few months ago, so they must have some going spare!


Almost exclusive 4-car 380s isn't bad though, nicer than 318/320s :E

I hope you didn't see an 8-car Dunblane as they aren't allowed!
7-car maximum for Dunblane. There isn't room at Dunblane north for an 8-car to reverse on the Down Perth line and remain under the wires.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,332
Location
Glasgow
I hope you didn't see an 8-car Dunblane as they aren't allowed!
7-car maximum for Dunblane. There isn't room at Dunblane north for an 8-car to reverse on the Down Perth line and remain under the wires.
Must've been 7-car then, either that or I misread the platform for the next Dunblane vs next Queen Street!

Interesting limitation though, anything similar for Alloa? I don't think I've ever seen more than 6 on Alloas.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top