I recently had a pretty awful experience while travelling First Class on a TransPennine Express service from Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield. After an already stressful day, I was looking forward to a smooth journey, but instead found myself being publicly called out by the First Class host for something I didn’t think was a big deal—taking two small refreshments.
I got on the train and shortly after we departed, the host appeared and offered refreshments. They were just holding a basket out in front of people and not saying anything at all, which was a bit strange but I didn't particulaly mind that. When they got to me, I smiled and said "I'll be cheeky and take two" and took a packet of crisps and a brownie as I hadn't eaten anything at all that day.
The host was cold and said "You should have asked before doing that" and walked away. I was a bit confused but thought nothing of it. When the host came back to ask for drinks, I already had a coffee from somewhere else, so said "no thank you" and was as courteous as I always am with railway staff.
The host turned away, turned back, then got up to my face, in my personal space, raised their voice quite loudly, and said "Next time politely ask if you want two items" and essentially shamed me in a very full carriage for doing so where everyone looked at me.
I’ve never encountered anything like this on a First Class service with a TOC before. Do TPE have some sort of policy of "One refreshment per person"? I was genuinely shocked at the experience and emailed TPE's director inbox, who responded, apologised and said they'd investigate and feed it back (Not directly saying the host was in the wrong I might add), but I am genuinely curious why I got spoke to like that. I get that it's a short route and there isn't going to be silver service, but if it was written down anywhere explicitly that you can't take more than one thing, I wouldn't have done so.
I regularly take XC First Class, and the hosts are practically throwing refreshments at me whenever they are (very rarely) available on the routes I take, so perhaps I was wrong for assuming TPE was as generous, but the way I was spoken to was quite possibly the worst experience I have ever had on the railway and I am still quite upset at the whole thing.
I got on the train and shortly after we departed, the host appeared and offered refreshments. They were just holding a basket out in front of people and not saying anything at all, which was a bit strange but I didn't particulaly mind that. When they got to me, I smiled and said "I'll be cheeky and take two" and took a packet of crisps and a brownie as I hadn't eaten anything at all that day.
The host was cold and said "You should have asked before doing that" and walked away. I was a bit confused but thought nothing of it. When the host came back to ask for drinks, I already had a coffee from somewhere else, so said "no thank you" and was as courteous as I always am with railway staff.
The host turned away, turned back, then got up to my face, in my personal space, raised their voice quite loudly, and said "Next time politely ask if you want two items" and essentially shamed me in a very full carriage for doing so where everyone looked at me.
I’ve never encountered anything like this on a First Class service with a TOC before. Do TPE have some sort of policy of "One refreshment per person"? I was genuinely shocked at the experience and emailed TPE's director inbox, who responded, apologised and said they'd investigate and feed it back (Not directly saying the host was in the wrong I might add), but I am genuinely curious why I got spoke to like that. I get that it's a short route and there isn't going to be silver service, but if it was written down anywhere explicitly that you can't take more than one thing, I wouldn't have done so.
I regularly take XC First Class, and the hosts are practically throwing refreshments at me whenever they are (very rarely) available on the routes I take, so perhaps I was wrong for assuming TPE was as generous, but the way I was spoken to was quite possibly the worst experience I have ever had on the railway and I am still quite upset at the whole thing.