Today I witnessed a fire that had started in a bin on the platform at a small unmanned station. Thankfully the fire service arrived promptly to put it out before it spread. It was a plastic bin that was falling apart on the floor whilst on fire.
There's a few things about this which I'm curious about
(1) The fire brigade were called but a train pulled in as normal just as they were arriving. I was very surprised contact was not made to stop the train given a 999 call had been made at the station? The platform is quite narrow and had the fire escalated my instinct is that it would be very dangerous to have a train in/going through the station?
(2) The fire was clearly visible to the guard and as I said the platform is quite narrow so several leaving passengers walked in very close proximity to the fire to exit the station. I was surprised the guard opened the doors as normal, but perhaps their priority would be to get the train out of the station as soon as possible? What is the point at which a guard should decide not to open doors and continue to the next station?
(3) The platform is immediately after a fairly long road bridge so that if there was a serious fire on the platform the driver wouldn't see until they were under the bridge at least. It made me wonder: if there is a severe danger ahead, what would be the best way to attract the attention of a driver from the other side of the bridge and convince them you aren't just messing about? Is it actually possible?
Overall the incident was handled differently to what I would have expected. I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts.
There's a few things about this which I'm curious about
(1) The fire brigade were called but a train pulled in as normal just as they were arriving. I was very surprised contact was not made to stop the train given a 999 call had been made at the station? The platform is quite narrow and had the fire escalated my instinct is that it would be very dangerous to have a train in/going through the station?
(2) The fire was clearly visible to the guard and as I said the platform is quite narrow so several leaving passengers walked in very close proximity to the fire to exit the station. I was surprised the guard opened the doors as normal, but perhaps their priority would be to get the train out of the station as soon as possible? What is the point at which a guard should decide not to open doors and continue to the next station?
(3) The platform is immediately after a fairly long road bridge so that if there was a serious fire on the platform the driver wouldn't see until they were under the bridge at least. It made me wonder: if there is a severe danger ahead, what would be the best way to attract the attention of a driver from the other side of the bridge and convince them you aren't just messing about? Is it actually possible?
Overall the incident was handled differently to what I would have expected. I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts.