• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fire brigade strikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

83G/84D

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2011
Messages
6,151
Location
Cornwall
With this in the news again recently I was wondering what cover is arranged during walkouts and what appliances are used? I believe some retained fire fighters will work but now the green godesses are no longer used what vehicles will be used during strikes. Are the Army helping out?

Finally what happened to the old green godesses used in the past?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,122
Location
Redcar
An agreement was reached a while ago that the normal equipment could be used during a strike so the Goddesses were surplus to requirement and I believe sold/scrapped. Manpower is provided by a mixture of those not striking, management and volunteers who have been trained specifically.

The Army, as far as I'm aware, are not used.
 

deltic1989

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2010
Messages
1,483
Location
Nottingham
I don't really have a useful contribution to this thread.
Only to say that I am extremely thankful for the 1977 firefighters strike without which I would not be here. As my Father (an RAF MT driver based at RAF Waddington) was dispatched with the goddesses to Rotherham where he met my Mother in a local working man's club.
Though thinking about it there will be some that are not as thankful as me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top