but with the usual H&S over reaction the station is closed and services suspended, even the road outside has been closed
I do hope the damage isn't too bad. I have always had a soft spot for Maidstone East. One of the better surviving largish stations on the London, Chatham and Dover network.
The fire service does have a preference for the third rail to be isolated when there is a chance they might have to spray several tonnes of water in the general vicinity.
No I think it's just internal damage and nothing that can't be repaired
Wooden buildings, close to the station entrance (at least that's where the kiosk was when I was an MDE regular), third rail as well, so I can't say I'm too surprised.A bookshop on platform 1 was alight, seemingly an electrical fault, it's now under control but with the usual H&S over reaction the station is closed and services suspended, even the road outside has been closed
Yeah I'm going to go with that not being a H&S over-reaction!!
Well my daughters boyfriend who was there and happens to be a fireman reckons evacuating the whole station after the fire was out was a ridiculous over reaction.
They insist on it being turned off for 3 miles in all directions whether they are going to spray any water or not!
On the one occasion I have seen them in action they then strolled around looking all important for a couple of hours before releasing the site back to the railway staff who then have to sort the disruption out, disruption that was avoidable if they had listened to the staff in the first place who had already dealt with the 'fire' (overheating electrical switch which had melted its plastic cover, no fire)!
The fire service does have a preference for the third rail to be isolated when there is a chance they might have to spray several tonnes of water in the general vicinity.
Crikey I am glad nobody got hurt. Shame about the bookstall though its been empty for a while now so why something electrical was switched on in there is a mystery.
*grumbles at the sodding arsonists at Ore*The skinflint SER and LC&DR put up a lot of clap board buildings on their networks. Unfortunately they have a habit of burning down.
Not really an overreaction, it's standard procedure. My uncle's a firefighter and he reckons it's a suitable response, so nyeh. My relative trumps your relative.
I hope the damage isn't too bad though, I quite like Maidstone East's building.
*grumbles at the sodding arsonists at Ore*
The bookstall is occupied although it was closed at the time of the fire.
The bookstall is occupied although it was closed at the time of the fire.
*grumbles at the sodding arsonists at Ore*
Not really an overreaction, it's standard procedure. My uncle's a firefighter and he reckons it's a suitable response, so nyeh. My relative trumps your relative.
I hope the damage isn't too bad though, I quite like Maidstone East's building.
*grumbles at the sodding arsonists at Ore*
When was this reoccupied? last time I went through it was empty and had been for a while
It will be again now
Understatement of the year! Whether it is open or it is closed. What other choice is there?