Red Dragon
Member
The fire alarms went off at Peterborough at about 1:30. All areas were evacuated with the exception of plats 4 & 5. I'm travelling from Leeds to Norwich and the 13:31 PBO to NRW sensibly was sent off 5 mins early.
It looks to me like normal working was resumed around 1359. I guess it turned out not to have a serious cause upon investigation!
Toaster?
Toaster?
Passing 180 on fire?
So, this wasn't a real alarm then, just a practice drill, how else could the Norwich train depart at 13.25, if the bell didn't sound until 13.30, and what about those passengers still walking to the train and saw it leave 5 minutes early???
Cheerz. ex-railwayman.
Sorry - the alarm sounded about 13:30, the
NRW train was due to leave at 13:41 but actually left at 13:35.I pressed the wrong digit on my mobile as I was trying to make sure, quickly, that forum members knew of the problem - particularly if they were on the up line with a stop or change at PBO as these platforms were no longer in use.
YES it was a real alarm ! ! !
That's why we were dispatched early.
Better than the passengers already there sitting for 5 minutes in what is potentially a fire!Surely this wasn't the case as the people who needed this train would have been stranded??
Yes, a train left early. It is pretty well known that trains in platforms in the event of an emergency (such as the fire alarm sounding) that are clear to go, they go. It's the easiest way of evacuating a train load of people out of the station!A train leaving early!?Surely this wasn't the case as the people who needed this train would have been stranded?? This was an East Midlands train?? Next train would have been 14:41.I'll do some digging to find out.
1E76 would have been the 1158 Ipswich to Peterborough service, though I don't know why this matters. I find it strange that you have access to such logs regarding delays and incidents, but don't understand what happens in an emergency situation nor know where to find out what train service relates to a specific headcodeRight. For that day I can only see a report in the log for that day- 1E76 held outside Peterborough due to fire alarms sounding after a report of smoke. What is this service anyone know??
Yes, a train left early. It is pretty well known that trains in platforms in the event of an emergency (such as the fire alarm sounding) that are clear to go, they go. It's the easiest way of evacuating a train load of people out of the station!
The next train may well have been an hour later, however those still walking to the train would not have been able to get to it as they had been evacuated for their own safety. I wouldn't exactly call an hour delay due to an emergency evacuation being 'stranded'.
1E76 would have been the 1158 Ipswich to Peterborough service, though I don't know why this matters. I find it strange that you have access to such logs regarding delays and incidents, but don't understand what happens in an emergency situation nor know where to find out what train service relates to a specific headcode
TP