• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fire alarms at Birmingham New Street

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
"@brumpolice: New Street station was evacuated following a malicious activation of an alarm call point. Criminal investigation now underway. No injuries."
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
A smoke detector may trigger a full evacuation, even if only one is activated accidentally.

There are other ways for those with nothing better to do to make sure a station is unnecessarily evacuated, but for obvious safety and economic reasons I won't mention them here. They're quite simple methods - regulars on here probably know them.
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
A smoke detector may trigger a full evacuation, even if only one is activated accidentally.

There are other ways for those with nothing better to do to make sure a station is unnecessarily evacuated, but for obvious safety and economic reasons I won't mention them here. They're quite simple methods - regulars on here probably know them.

Ah, I know exactly what you mean, but they would have to have some inside knowledge...
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
Yes and then after everything started a 323 failed at bourneville. XC 170 2030 Birmingham TO Cardiff got stuck behind then 2059 LM 170 to Hereford got stuck behind. Services wrong lined back to new street approximately 2230.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
I was due to get the 2121 ex Plymouth at Sheffield tonight but it was so delayed I ended up on the following EMT service
I believe the XC ended up leaving Sheffield some 65 mins down
 

tcm1106

Member
Joined
4 Jan 2010
Messages
286
Location
UK
Yes and then after everything started a 323 failed at bourneville. XC 170 2030 Birmingham TO Cardiff got stuck behind then 2059 LM 170 to Hereford got stuck behind. Services wrong lined back to new street approximately 2230.

Reversing back to New Street must have been a complex operation. Something in the region of 5 or 6 signalling sections from there to Bournville. Not to mention dealing with the resulting mess at New Street itself.
 

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
From memory, it's been evacuated at least three times this year. The last two times involved smoke coming from trains.

I've been caught up in an evacuation twice there in the past, was on a slow moving VT from WVH and it was announced we'd be going straight through to BHI but by the time we got to BHM the alarms had stopped so we stopped there in the end anyway. The other time I was prevented from entering the station and I ended up walking to Snow Hill and getting a tram instead.
 

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
Reversing back to New Street must have been a complex operation. Something in the region of 5 or 6 signalling sections from there to Bournville. Not to mention dealing with the resulting mess at New Street itself.
Emergency crossover at Church Road before Five Ways puts you right line in.
 

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
Was it choc-a-bloc at the time?

Sorry :oops:

I heard a Wispa that the driver wanted a Time Out to Chomp on a Picnic. That's when things started getting a bit Flakey and LM had to get their Fingers out and Fudge everyone onto Double Deckers.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
Eventually...

Anyways, thought one call point activation triggered Inspector Sands - surely this would have given staff time to check?
The 'Inspector Sands' announcement isn't played at New Street, instead 'Staff Call 100' is used for the same purpose.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
I heard a Wispa that the driver wanted a Time Out to Chomp on a Picnic. That's when things started getting a bit Flakey and LM had to get their Fingers out and Fudge everyone onto Double Deckers.

I can't help but think you spent far too much time thinking of that....good man!!! :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top