• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FIP free coupons, Norway.

Rab Smith

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2021
Messages
303
Location
Cardiff
Hello,
Would anyone like to share their recent experience on using FIP free coupons on the Norwegian rail network? Especially so after Swedish Rail pulled out of the FIP scheme. I am planning a trip there in the future and would love to hear how you did it all. Where you went, ease of use, booking reservations, accommodation and food cost etc.
I've see some YouTube videos and it looks like an amazing but expensive place to visit so having the free rail option could definitely help the budget go a bit further!
Cheers!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
3,404
Location
Bedford
Entur (the Government-run retailer for all Norwegian train tickets) have a great guide to FIP in Norway here if you haven't already seen it: https://personalbillett.entur.no/fip-travel-in-norway

On a personal level - I spent a week in Norway in January and (whilst mainly there for a conference) travelled both Oslo-Trondheim and Oslo-Bergen. Both were great experiences, though I wouldn't recommend PlusNight for the Bergen route, I didn't sleep particularly well even with the lie-flat seat; I think next time I'd do both ways by day and stop over in Bergen an additional night.
 

Rab Smith

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2021
Messages
303
Location
Cardiff
Entur (the Government-run retailer for all Norwegian train tickets) have a great guide to FIP in Norway here if you haven't already seen it: https://personalbillett.entur.no/fip-travel-in-norway

On a personal level - I spent a week in Norway in January and (whilst mainly there for a conference) travelled both Oslo-Trondheim and Oslo-Bergen. Both were great experiences, though I wouldn't recommend PlusNight for the Bergen route, I didn't sleep particularly well even with the lie-flat seat; I think next time I'd do both ways by day and stop over in Bergen an additional night.
I've read that, thanks. Some good information there.
I don't know whether to do the trip in the summer or winter. The videos I've watched are mostly winter ones with some great journeys through snow covered mountains but quite grim looking!
I can imagine the trains being very busy in the summer months.
 

ricohallo

Member
Joined
2 Dec 2018
Messages
184
Location
Netherlands
The FIP coupons work on almost all trains in Norway, the Flåm railway being a notable exception, as well as the SJ run train to Narvik of course.

Unlike Interrail you can't book your reservations on the Entur website, however you can chat with them (or phone them) and they'll be able to provide you with all the information you'll need, what it costs and of course make the reservations for you. It's not 24 hours but they're open for most of the day.
Do keep in mind though that trains regularly sell out, especially on the Bergen line, so it's highly recommended to make reservations as soon as you know your travel plans or have a backup in case your desired train or all trains are sold out.

The FIP coupons are not valid on cross-border trains to Sweden except for the train from Trondheim to Storlien.

Take a look on these pages for more info and prices of reservations:
 

Rab Smith

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2021
Messages
303
Location
Cardiff
The FIP coupons work on almost all trains in Norway, the Flåm railway being a notable exception, as well as the SJ run train to Narvik of course.

Unlike Interrail you can't book your reservations on the Entur website, however you can chat with them (or phone them) and they'll be able to provide you with all the information you'll need, what it costs and of course make the reservations for you. It's not 24 hours but they're open for most of the day.
Do keep in mind though that trains regularly sell out, especially on the Bergen line, so it's highly recommended to make reservations as soon as you know your travel plans or have a backup in case your desired train or all trains are sold out.

The FIP coupons are not valid on cross-border trains to Sweden except for the train from Trondheim to Storlien.

Take a look on these pages for more info and prices of reservations:
I think Norway is another country that the people value their trains going with the sold out trains I've read about.
Thanks for the advice!
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,630
Location
Birmingham
Definitely +1 for going to Bergen in the winter - I did the trip (by day train) a few years back and the snowy views were unbelievable.

Ulriken is a reasonable, albeit moderately challenging at times, mountain to climb. There is also a cable car.
 

Top