• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Finishing short, but not ripping off the railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamracene749

Member
Joined
11 Dec 2005
Messages
919
Location
East Durham
Quick question.

Traveling Newcastle to London and return on advance tickets shortly.

I'll be starting at Newcastle, no problem, but would like to leave at Durham on the return journey.

The advance ticket deal is from Newcastle with two nights in London.
I don't mind buying a ticket from Newcastle to Durham valid on the day of my return, however I would rather not travel north to Newcastle then wait around for a southbound train to Durham.
So,whilst certainly holding a clear conscience as regards revenue given to our TOCs, will I be still be able to get off early and use the Newcastle Durham ticket through the barriers at Durham?

The reason I ask is that I will of course be arriving on the northbound rather than the southbound platform, and at Durham you must leave the ticketing area to change platform?

TIA
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

soil

Established Member
Joined
28 May 2012
Messages
2,311
depends whether you are prepared to complain to the Daily Mail or not ;)
 

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
It is not at all obvious to me which type of ticket you hold. You say that "The advance ticket deal is from Newcastle with two nights in London", but tickets called Advance are sold as singles only. There is a different ticket type which is inclusive of return rail travel and hotel accommodation. This type has different conditions from "Advance" tickets.

To enable us to give you accurate advice, could you please tell us what is printed below the word "Type" on your tickets? Thanks.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,560
Location
Yorkshire
The advance ticket deal is from Newcastle with two nights in London.
I don't mind buying a ticket from Newcastle to Durham valid on the day of my return, however I would rather not travel north to Newcastle then wait around for a southbound train to Durham.
I think it's fair to say that if a passenger was to purchase such tickets, and asked the guard "Do I need to double-back through Durham to Newcastle and back, or can I alight here?" it would be highly surprising if the guard insisted that a double-back was made. So far, any forum member who has done this, has had the approval of the guard to avoid the double-back.
So,whilst certainly holding a clear conscience as regards revenue given to our TOCs, will I be still be able to get off early and use the Newcastle Durham ticket through the barriers at Durham?
It would be surprising if such a ticket did not operate the barrier at Durham, if that is what you are asking.
The reason I ask is that I will of course be arriving on the northbound rather than the southbound platform
I don't think ticket barriers are that intelligent ;)
and at Durham you must leave the ticketing area to change platform?
Yes, you do.
 

barrykas

Established Member
Joined
19 Sep 2006
Messages
1,579
From the information in the original post, I would hazard a guess that this is a "Superbreak" or similar deal, with train tickets thrown in.

The Terms and Conditions for said tickets are either printed on the reverse or, if they're printed by a TIS, on a separate coupon...Unfortunately, all of them prohibit Break of Journey, though as we all know, using station facilities doesn't constitute a BoJ.
 

Zamracene749

Member
Joined
11 Dec 2005
Messages
919
Location
East Durham
Many thanks for the replies, I was mainly worried that the barrier might not accept the Newcastle to Durham ticket because I would be leaving from the down platform.

Apologies that I couldn't have been more clear re the exact London Newcastle ticket type- they were booked by my travelling companion whom i'll be meeting at the start of the journey.

Thanks again :)
 

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
Apologies that I couldn't have been more clear re the exact London Newcastle ticket type- they were booked by my travelling companion whom i'll be meeting at the start of the journey.
You may wish to read my view of the validity of those tickets which prohibit breaking and resuming a journey at an intermediate station, but not starting a journey at an intermediate station, nor ending a journey at an intermediate station. Inclusive Tour Tickets are in this category. See this post.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top